E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > cup holders

03-17-2006, 06:04 AM   #67
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Perhaps keeping something like this in the passenger seat might be a solution.
Attached Images

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #68
rossmelvin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i & E60 530i

they are not over the radio,etc.

Vovlo XC90 V8 Sport - saved my life.
2004 Volvo V70R AWD- Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 07:50 AM   #69
Geneb2450
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

When my dealer was going through all the features of my new car when I picked it up, he apologized for the cupholders and I said it didn't matter much because I don't eat or drink in any of my cars. He said "Oh, you must be German. German's don't care about cup holders either. They want to know how many ashtrays a car has"
      03-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #70
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Like most people have said, most Euro's don't use coffee as crutch in the morning and consume 40oz ofsdd coffee on their morning commute.

Did you buy your car to drink stuff in, or to drive?

While I understand it's nice to have a decent cup holder to hold a bottle of water or something, is it really neccessary for it to hold a super-duper big gulp? I mean comon!

The proper place? Where? In the way of the gear shift? I'm sorry but when I have a bottle of water in my cup holder, it gets in the way of me changing gears.

Are you of those people that complain about RWD cars with summer tires in the winter and how 'horrible' it is in the snow? Or the ones that complain about hitting curb stops when they park their car and scuff up the front airdam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
I do NOT like the new cup holders, and mainly their new positioning.
I've still got my E46 till May, and I am curious as to how you E90 owners are dealing with the afterthought cupholders in this new design?

The center console is pleny big enough that BMW could have had a least 1 cup holder there, and I just can't figure out why they didn't.
I don't like the idea of liquids sitting up that high perched right above the electronics of the HVAC and audio system. What was BMW thinking?
Audi, on the other hand, actually put 2 cup holders in the proper place where the E46 has them, and BMW went the former Audi route and put them high in the dash using flimsy plastic bits just waiting for disaster.

I did notice that it looks like a cupholder add on could be fashioned to fit in the space just aft of the shifter. I think it's there for a cell phone? Any accessories offered by BMW to make better holders?
All I need is one, for me, the driver. Everyone else can just hold their. Watts u wit dat!?

T
      03-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #71
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I find the cup holders to be just fine. During my commute to work, it keeps my cool beverage just within reach but does not interfere with my ability to drive. I wouldn't want ANYTHING to interfere with my ability to drive!!
Attached Images

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #72
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I am with you.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 12:51 PM   #73
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Imagine the aftermath if the airbag goes off. What happens to the cup holder? Just curious.

I don't open it if there's a passenger. I can't shake the image of a jagged plastic piece stuck in the head...

One cupholder is enough, since I'm the only one allowed to have anything in the car.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #74
mmeads
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I heard this was going to be a standard feature in the 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
      03-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #75
Yaajer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 3, X5

Because of the crappy cup holders, it helps remind me not to eat or drink (unless capped) in the car.

Thanks BMW!

How many cup holders do Porsches have?
      03-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #76
GG_The_Fly
U2Fanatic
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi Jet Black

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Nobody else has complained about the cupholders' inability to store 20 oz bottles of soda - of course, they're capped, so them flying around the car isn't a spill hazard. However, my soda bottle will move every which way and tilt in the cupholder and has come out once already with a deep pothole. I say it's not that big a deal to want a cupholder that can carry standard soft drinks from fast food franchises, 20 oz and 12 oz sodas without difficulty. If the cupholders were one inch deeper, they'd be much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #77
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
OMG. Just don't turn right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 11:50 PM   #78
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Few things that people need to understand about the interior design of the E90.
1. The position of the Cup holder is perfect bearing in mind that the driver needs to have access to his gear control unhindered. This is so because the car is designed to satisfy the driving enthusiats. My only issue with it is that it is too shallow- however it is one of the only few vehicles that were designed with the driver in mind.
2. The position of the IDrive control. People don't under the ergonomics invloved with the positioning of the controller. Right next to the gear lever. You don't have to reach or lean forward to make changes- just drop your right hand and there you go. Although I feel that the system can be improved.
3. The amount of leg room that you have in both the front and the rear- all designed with the giving the driver the best positioning whilst driving.

I believe IMHO that the E90 does have plenty of thought into the both the interior and exterior styling. One just have to look beyond the obvious.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 12:32 AM   #79
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

The cupholders on the dash are not very good for drinks other than cans but the cupholder in the center console is great. And if you do use it for a can, you can close it and switch the air-cooled vent to on so that it stays chilled. I have no complaints but I don't really eat/drink in my car, I just occasionally use the center console cupholder to hold my closed can of soda when i'm in a rush until i get to school and then i open it and drink it when i get there. So really, no food or drink consumed in my car.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 02:12 AM   #80
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chonko
Few things that people need to understand about the interior design of the E90.
1. The position of the Cup holder is perfect bearing in mind that the driver needs to have access to his gear control unhindered. This is so because the car is designed to satisfy the driving enthusiats. My only issue with it is that it is too shallow- however it is one of the only few vehicles that were designed with the driver in mind.
2. The position of the IDrive control. People don't under the ergonomics invloved with the positioning of the controller. Right next to the gear lever. You don't have to reach or lean forward to make changes- just drop your right hand and there you go. Although I feel that the system can be improved.
3. The amount of leg room that you have in both the front and the rear- all designed with the giving the driver the best positioning whilst driving.

I believe IMHO that the E90 does have plenty of thought into the both the interior and exterior styling. One just have to look beyond the obvious.

Well said.
      03-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #81
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr
Like most people have said, most Euro's don't use coffee as crutch in the morning and consume 40oz ofsdd coffee on their morning commute.

Did you buy your car to drink stuff in, or to drive?

While I understand it's nice to have a decent cup holder to hold a bottle of water or something, is it really neccessary for it to hold a super-duper big gulp? I mean comon!

The proper place? Where? In the way of the gear shift? I'm sorry but when I have a bottle of water in my cup holder, it gets in the way of me changing gears.

Are you of those people that complain about RWD cars with summer tires in the winter and how 'horrible' it is in the snow? Or the ones that complain about hitting curb stops when they park their car and scuff up the front airdam?
First, RWD cars and summer tires in the winter don't mix.
Would I complain about that? Yeah, if someone made me drive in the winters with summer tires be it in a FWD or RWD car.

As far as your other assertions about cup holders, it seems you didn't read the posts.
I'm much more coordinated than most drivers as I apparently can drive, smoke cigarettes (horay for Europeans), drink a beverage, operate the clutch and shifter, change radio stations, signal for a turn, AND sing (badly) along with the jammin tunes played as loud as possible. I can even do multiple operations at the same time while maintaining an excellent driving record at 0 points.

I guess the cupholders should come with a "warning" label like:
Please, do not attempt to use while vehicle is in motion if you have a problem while chewing gum and walking.

Oh, the insanity of cupholders! It is the reason for all poor driving in the US...well, that and the fact that our driving tests suck.
But, NO, it's the cupholder that is the evil on the roadway.

T

PS
BTW, I didn't ask for nor do I drink "big gulps".
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #82
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaajer
Because of the crappy cup holders, it helps remind me not to eat or drink (unless capped) in the car.

Thanks BMW!

How many cup holders do Porsches have?
the current boxster and 911 have 2 cupholders in pretty much the same position as the e90 - above the knees of the front passanger. :rocks:
Appreciate 0