THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning New to the 2 series

07-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

New to the 2 series

hey guys! Tomorrow i am picking up a n55 M235i and am coming from a superchrager e92 m3, (still have it just wanted a second play toy/daily driver) and i have tried searching around but havent found any for sure results. i want to do full e85 on stock turbo (for now) and tune, cat-less down pipes and intake and intercooler. what is the best tune to do said set up with and also what kind of fuel system modifications are we looking at? it is an auto 8 speed car so can the trans mission hold the power and tq? Later down the road i will upgrade the turbo to which ever i find to fit my needs, i know of pure turbo currently but im sure there are more. im looking for around 500whp on e85 stock turbo if possible? and on upgraded turbo on e85 well into and over the 600whp mark. if im far off from my expectations just let me know, not entirely sure of what this car is capable of or lack there of...

thanks!
(Sold) 2008 BMW M3 Coupe 6mt - VF-Engineering with Advanced fuel dynamics PROFLEX COMMANDER at 10psi 620/435@7800rm
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

you cant run full e85.

Full Port injection system with a controller is required, jb4.
Get a flash tune, bm3.

you wont be anywhere near 500 on stock turbo. More like 420 maxed out with port injection.

Trans will hold to 500, over 500 or 25psi on ps2 turbo is when the tranny will start to go to shit.

Read this forum front to back 3x before you post another question. They have all been answered before.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Read this forum front to back 3x before you post another question. They have all been answered before.
Have they?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
kilox90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEastvold View Post
hey guys! Tomorrow i am picking up a n55 M235i and am coming from a superchrager e92 m3, (still have it just wanted a second play toy/daily driver) and i have tried searching around but havent found any for sure results. i want to do full e85 on stock turbo (for now) and tune, cat-less down pipes and intake and intercooler. what is the best tune to do said set up with and also what kind of fuel system modifications are we looking at? it is an auto 8 speed car so can the trans mission hold the power and tq? Later down the road i will upgrade the turbo to which ever i find to fit my needs, i know of pure turbo currently but im sure there are more. im looking for around 500whp on e85 stock turbo if possible? and on upgraded turbo on e85 well into and over the 600whp mark. if im far off from my expectations just let me know, not entirely sure of what this car is capable of or lack there of...

thanks!
Best platform to go with is BM3 which offers a wide variety of tuning needs and capabilities. With an auto, it'll be difficult putting down that much power without upgrading some components but you're definitely going to have to upgrade he fuel pump and spark plugs, possibly injectors if I'm correct. Pure turbos seems to be the most common route for this platform and many others. I'd advise on getting an aftermarket charge pip first and upgrade your intercooler while you're add it to ease the headache of having to do it all over again with removing stuff. Look into a boost pipe as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Congrats on the new car! Have fun with the modifications
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

thanks!
Like others noted, you won't hit close to 500whp with all the bolt-on and ethanol. More like 400-430whp. The Pure turbo will easily get you into the 500whp range. Intakes don't do squat.

The ZF 8AT is strong with the typical mods, but pushing ethanol will start pushing it into the "walking on egg shells" zone. This isn't the same ZF, internally, as those used in some higher powered German and American cars. Replacing a ZF 8AT will cost a small fortune (about $11K new). If you want the strongest tranny available for these cars, you should be looking for a 6MT. With an upgraded clutch, it can reliably handle a lot more power assuming you're not slamming the 1-2 often.

Why so much power in the M235 considering you already have a high-powered M3?

I can promise you that running all the bolt-ons and ethanol on the M235 will require some babysitting because the further you go down the power path, more issues creep up and far more often. You'll very likely have a lot of down time sorting tuning, fueling, and driveability issues and hiccups.
      07-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:

thanks!
Like others noted, you won't hit close to 500whp with all the bolt-on and ethanol. More like 400-430whp. The Pure turbo will easily get you into the 500whp range. Intakes don't do squat.

The ZF 8AT is strong with the typical mods, but pushing ethanol will start pushing it into the "walking on egg shells" zone. This isn't the same ZF, internally, as those used in some higher powered German and American cars. Replacing a ZF 8AT will cost a small fortune (about $11K new). If you want the strongest tranny available for these cars, you should be looking for a 6MT. With an upgraded clutch, it can reliably handle a lot more power assuming you're not slamming the 1-2 often.

Why so much power in the M235 considering you already have a high-powered M3?

I can promise you that running all the bolt-ons and ethanol on the M235 will require some babysitting because the further you go down the power path, more issues creep up and far more often. You'll very likely have a lot of down time sorting tuning, fueling, and driveability issues and hiccups.
Agreed! My friend has a pure stage 2 FBO jb4 mhd backend flash and port injection e30 and it's been a huge pain in the ass trying to get it to run good consistently. It's very fast when the stars align but it's hit or miss. A lot of time and energy to figure it out.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #8
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Thanks for the input guys! Looks like ill just do a pure stage 2 turbo swap and bolts ons and see where she lands!
(Sold) 2008 BMW M3 Coupe 6mt - VF-Engineering with Advanced fuel dynamics PROFLEX COMMANDER at 10psi 620/435@7800rm
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys! Looks like ill just do a pure stage 2 turbo swap and bolts ons and see where she lands!
Pure FTW
Appreciate 0