BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

06-16-2021, 06:42 AM   #1
AlexDest
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i - F40

Waste gate Rattle

Hi Everyone,

My car is a series 1, 2020 with automatic gearbox. I bought it brand new, so its under a 2years warranty.
The problem as stated in the thread's subject is a wastegate rattle, which can be heard from 1,500 to 1,800 rpm in first gear. Super annoying, especially when the car is cold.
I have contacted BMW -Greece, who stated that this is a common issue on all BMW and MINI cars, its nothing to worry about, and cannot replace the part, even its under warranty.

I know that is an excuse from them, so i am asking if anyone had this issue before and what he did to fix it.

Thanks.
Alex
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

It's not uncommon with turbo engines. Audi has issues with a 1.4 engine that had the same. They modified the actuator and replaced the part under warranty on vehicles that had the issue. Then it occurred again with some S3's however I think the outcome with them was much the same as you are experiencing....
      11-17-2023, 03:17 AM   #3
F40M135i
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F40 M135i

I had the same issues with my 2020 M135i xDrive.

Brisbane BMW told me that this was a known issue, and took the car in to apply a 'spring kit' fix. This not only didn't solve the problem, but, it has now created a new noise - a squeak from the turbo on gear changes.

You can hear the noises on the website I have created - https://bmwm135ixdriveownersforum.com/

BMW Australia has told me that this is "normal operational noise" for this model and that that was their final position.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that BMW Australia would class this as normal, when they have this listed in their Puma faults system as a known fault, and then issue a fix.

They also told me that if I wanted to take it further I would have to lodge a case with the Office of Fair Trading - so begrudgingly, that is what I have done - as well as lodging a case with QCAT.

I have had further conversations with BMW Brisbane about an extended warranty on the turbo however I have requested a replacement... not hopeful but we will see...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0