E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Whats with this crackdown BS?!

06-17-2005, 06:02 AM   #23
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

I think the biggest problem on American highways is the truckers. They are allowed to drive in any lane they want to, and obstruct traffic as much as they want as well. Here in Germany, truckers get stiff fines for being in the left lane. Trucks are FORBIDDEN to pass up hills, and if the autobahn has 6 lanes (both directions) they can only pass in the middle lane. The German police has a special unit that only polices the truckers. Germany realizes that these enormous vehicles are real threat to public safety, if not kept in check. Back in Arizona where I am from, truckers clog up I-10 by attempting to pass each other up steep hills. The worthless cops don't really care about the truckers because they are driving slower (more dangerously). You never see a truck getting pulled over.
There was one time that there were two truckers driving next to each other for about 50 miles. They were driving about 45-50 mph at most, and they were intentionally blocking traffic. I called the police on my cell phone and of course they didn't have anyone to respond, so the damn truckers got away with it. That's the kind of crap that causes road rage and accidents, not speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #24
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
Flash a Badge

The part of all this that gets my goat is whan a cop is pulled over for the same offence. They flash a badge, and all is forgiven.
Yet, we get nailed with several hundred bucks in fines and insurance surcharges.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #25
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoo
The part of all this that gets my goat is whan a cop is pulled over for the same offence. They flash a badge, and all is forgiven.
Yet, we get nailed with several hundred bucks in fines and insurance surcharges.
Agreed! Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #26
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
I think the biggest problem on American highways is the truckers. They are allowed to drive in any lane they want to, and obstruct traffic as much as they want as well. Here in Germany, truckers get stiff fines for being in the left lane. Trucks are FORBIDDEN to pass up hills, and if the autobahn has 6 lanes (both directions) they can only pass in the middle lane. The German police has a special unit that only polices the truckers. Germany realizes that these enormous vehicles are real threat to public safety, if not kept in check. Back in Arizona where I am from, truckers clog up I-10 by attempting to pass each other up steep hills. The worthless cops don't really care about the truckers because they are driving slower (more dangerously). You never see a truck getting pulled over.
There was one time that there were two truckers driving next to each other for about 50 miles. They were driving about 45-50 mph at most, and they were intentionally blocking traffic. I called the police on my cell phone and of course they didn't have anyone to respond, so the damn truckers got away with it. That's the kind of crap that causes road rage and accidents, not speed.
I dont think it's necessarily all the truckers fault. I do think you're on the right track with what is wrong though. It's not JUST the speeding that is dangerous, but that is all that is looked at. It's also the people the drive in the left lane for no reason when they should be in the right, it's the people that don't use their turn signals and its the people that continuosly turn into the far lane instead of the nearest lane when making a turn. It's also the people that run red lights. Those reasons along with a general disregard for most traffic laws is what makes driving in the US an absolute nightmare. There NEEDS to be stricter penalties for ALL driving offenses, not just speeding.

If someone is going 5-10 over on the highway, leave them alone. Anything over that though, give em a ticket the first time and take their license away for a time period the second time. This should go for all other offenses too.

With this California thing here, sure, the cops are probably doing it as a revenue venture and not for "your safety". You can't deny that they most likely DID save someone's life though by pulling one of those speeders over. There is no need to be doing 20-30 mph over the speed limit on an interstate that runs through the city. I wouldnt even be doing that for long stretches of time in Nowheresville, KS. If you want to drive fast, go to the track or take a trip to Germany. Even then good luck on the autobahn with the increase of stau's and traffic cameras like our friend from South Africa mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 10:14 AM   #27
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

On the day the verdict was announced in the Michael Jackson trial, (Tuesday), I saw no fewer than 8 CHP officers on my normal commute between Santa Barbara and Pismo Beach (About 90 miles). I thought of MJ because of the original poster's avatar... I have to drive right through Santa Maria each day and I am sure glad that trial is over.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 11:32 AM   #28
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I don't think truckers are allowed to drive in any lane. Big rigs are suppose to stay in the outer most lane and can pass one lane over to the left. At least thats what I thought it was. Truckers who parallels on a 2 lane highway are just retards, I haven't ran into that yet. Most do move over, pass, then move back into their own lane.

On LA freeways, the normal cruising speed is at 80mph in the number 1 lane and slightly faster in the carpool. That's 15 miles over the speed limit, and sometimes where 55mph is posted, this is 25 miles over. So driving 20-30 miles over is not really that big of a deal, it is essentially the flow of traffic here. I find that generally up in the bay area, the traffic flow are slower, but it feels actually more dangerous to drive up here as there are the minority of crazy drivers weaving around like maniacs to go around everyone.

I think the reason people are getting PISSED is because it's almost an unspoken, gentlement's agreement if you will, with the cops that as long as you are cruising below 80 with the traffic, and not weaving around, you are ok. Now they want to crack down on ANYTHING over 65, it's just going to make people's blood boil. It's like that pine tar incident. It's against the rules, but people do it, because their intentions were not trying to cheat. You want to call them on it, then it's on now.

***Speed traps are illegal here. It is against the law for traffic cops to sit in a known speed trap section and give out tickets***
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #29
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
***Speed traps are illegal here. It is against the law for traffic cops to sit in a known speed trap section and give out tickets***
I was reading up on that just now. The ins and outs of that are confusing. Just another example of how screwed up California is.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #30
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I am glad to know this before I take my drive up to Seattle on the 5

The interstate's are a bitch to drive on because 90% of the drivers here don't understand that you move to the left lane ONLY for passing.

And if everybody did that and signalled and looked when they changed lanes, well then I don't see why 80mph would be significantly less safe than 70mph.
      06-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #31
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
The interstate's are a bitch to drive on because 90% of the drivers here don't understand that you move to the left lane ONLY for passing.

And if everybody did that and signalled and looked when they changed lanes, well then I don't see why 80mph would be significantly less safe than 70mph.
Amen. I agree with all of that.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #32
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
I barely moved to north cali, and I can tell you cannot wait until I get to move back to LA. You don't miss it until you leave. Everyone can say how bad LA is, but once you live there, you get spoiled and will never want to leave.

I lived on orange county for a year, and was really glad to get back to the bay area. I guess it's all about what you're used to, I really didn't like the fact that the sky is brown/tan in LA vs being blue in other places. you really can't beat LA for having lots of fun things around to do though. In LA anything you could possibly ever want is less than 15 minutes away (without traffic, good luck)
Appreciate 0