E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > v551 cradle installed, but wtf?

03-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
v551 cradle installed, but wtf?

So my cradle was installed today.. ordered it with the car but had to wait for the parts to come in. SA didn't even know where it goes, when he brought the car around I had to show him that it's in under the arm rest. So he tried to insert the phone, and there's this metal "tit" that sticks up that lines up with a filled-in "hole" on the back of the phone, that does not look as though it wants to be punched out. The metal tit almost acts like it maybe is supposed to be spring-loaded and compress down when the phone is inserted, but it doesn't give. One or the other has to - anyone know which? No documentation of any kind came with the sucker. Help Mr Wizard!
      03-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
that hole on the back of your phone isn't a punch-out. i have a v505 which is very similar to the v551. mine has a rubber plug that has to be pried out. from experiences with other cell phones, that's where the antenna connection is.

if you'll notice, the covered up hole on your phone is close to the antenna, and the "tit" fits in there and makes a connection to the antenna in the shark fin.

to pry mine out, i used a sharp knife, since i found a screwdriver to be too fat.
      03-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Awesome, you da man.. just pulled that sucka out the tip of a sharp knife, went out and sync'd the thing up and now I'm cookin' with Criscoİ.

Another question - it *appears* that the phone is charging, even with the car completely "off" (I locked the doors after syncing and that pretty much shuts everything off). The battery symbol is blinking just like when it's attached to the wall wart. I HOPE it's still charging - but based on other posts, methinks not. Is this just the "residual" power that also allows you to use the p-windows after shutdown?
      03-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
Awesome, you da man.. just pulled that sucka out the tip of a sharp knife, went out and sync'd the thing up and now I'm cookin' with Criscoİ.

Another question - it *appears* that the phone is charging, even with the car completely "off" (I locked the doors after syncing and that pretty much shuts everything off). The battery symbol is blinking just like when it's attached to the wall wart. I HOPE it's still charging - but based on other posts, methinks not. Is this just the "residual" power that also allows you to use the p-windows after shutdown?
Yep, normal. Go out after 15-20 minutes and peek thru window (leave center console arm up so you can see) you should see it is out/off after car has gone into sleep mode. Don't open or unlock door as that will cause car to wake up. Don't know what tranny you have but on a Step you have a light on when you get out (Park I think) and it too goes out when car enters sleep mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradac
Yep, normal. Go out after 15-20 minutes and peek thru window (leave center console arm up so you can see) you should see it is out/off after car has gone into sleep mode. Don't open or unlock door as that will cause car to wake up. Don't know what tranny you have but on a Step you have a light on when you get out (Park I think) and it too goes out when car enters sleep mode.
i don't have the cradle since cingular has good reception around here and i just use a car charger, so i am not sure. but what this guy said sounds good to me.