BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Travel destination(s) for big 3-5?

My 35th is coming up in 2 months and I wanted to start thinking about it. Was gonna go to Croatia this coming Sunday but decided to do a trip in October instead. I know we’re in a pandemic and many destinations are blocked off to US travelers. Hoping that October brings more openings. Would like to get some suggestions.

I like culture, food, wine, nature, and some activities. Not into the whole partying scene. I took a few months and traveled the world when I turned 30 and would like to do continue the same “tradition” and do a trip for a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

South Africa. No idea re their covid/open status, but of all the places I visited, SA impressed me the most. Depending on your beliefs, be prepared some may be shattered (or reinforced).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post

I like nature,
you're in san fran? head north and go squatchin'. I've always wanted to do that
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Japan. But pretty much every country is banned for now.
Appreciate 2
tcphoto3477.00
      08-31-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
South Africa. No idea re their covid/open status, but of all the places I visited, SA impressed me the most. Depending on your beliefs, be prepared some may be shattered (or reinforced).
In what ways? I do want to go but not sure if I would go alone to South Africa. I did go to Morocco by myself last year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:

I like nature,
you're in san fran? head north and go squatchin'. I've always wanted to do that
That's a thing?! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Japan. But pretty much every country is banned for now.
It was considered. Not sure if I want to go back since I've been a few times already (once when traveling for my 30th). I do have a few friends in Sapporo that I could visit.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
My 35th is coming up in 2 months and I wanted to start thinking about it. Was gonna go to Croatia this coming Sunday but decided to do a trip in October instead. I know we're in a pandemic and many destinations are blocked off to US travelers. Hoping that October brings more openings. Would like to get some suggestions.

I like culture, food, wine, nature, and some activities. Not into the whole partying scene. I took a few months and traveled the world when I turned 30 and would like to do continue the same "tradition" and do a trip for a few weeks.
Planning 8 weeks before your 35th birthday?!? On mine I just had ribs @ Texas Roadhouse and a movie

Edit: I love traveling too, but consider where your going carefully, wearing a mask on holiday isn't my idea of fun, wait until next spring? I'm doing Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka before the olympics
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Planning 8 weeks before your 35th birthday?!? On mine I just had ribs @ Texas Roadhouse and a movie
Haha yeah. Something to look forward to. During covid flights are kind of random. Don’t want to end up paying so much to fly and don’t want to plan last minute.

Nothing wrong with Texas Roadhouse man. I love that place. I really enjoy traveling so it’d be cool to travel somewhere, especially since I haven’t done much this year with this damn pandemic. Getting the itch to travel again.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #8
smyles
Major
Rep

Strictly imho, but Japan is... meh. Yeah there're things to see and experience, but overall it's just, well, not that special. I enjoyed my time there, but it would be rather low on the list of places I'd visit again, especially if you go just there.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      08-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #9
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Strictly imho, but Japan is... meh. Yeah there're things to see and experience, but overall it's just, well, not that special. I enjoyed my time there, but it would be rather low on the list of places I'd visit again, especially if you go just there.
Have no idea how you could call Japan “meh.”
Appreciate 2
NEfan5082658.50
sygazelle11091.00
      08-31-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

I was going to say Morocco, but I just read you've been. Is my family home country. Great place, I hope you went to Marrakesh. Agadir is amazing too!

How about Australia? Never been, but heard it's cool.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
I was going to say Morocco, but I just read you've been. Is my family home country. Great place, I hope you went to Marrakesh. Agadir is amazing too!

I only went to Marrakesh. Spent a week there before hopping over to Portugal. It was an awesome place! Did ATVing in the desert and stuff. Would like to take my parents/siblings there someday.

Haven’t been to Australia and definitely want to. That and New Zealand are on the list but right now I think they are closed. Hopefully by then they’ll reopen. The idea is to travel somewhere that I can take a few weeks off for PTO and work remote for a few weeks - so maybe 4 weeks or so total. I work on West Coast time though so anywhere that’s more than 9-10 hours ahead means I’d have to work late into the night which isn’t preferable.

Edit: looks like Australia is closed until 2021.

Last edited by BMW F22; 08-31-2020 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Botswana
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
smyles
Major
Rep

Quote:
Have no idea how you could call Japan “meh.”
Again, that's my opinion based on my experiences, preferences, etc.
Japan was #1 on my dream list, but after visiting it, it overall barely met the - rather high, admittedly,- expectations. I didn't regret going there, but there're other places I'd visit again before Japan.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #14
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Quote:
Quote:

I only went to Marrakesh. Spent a week there before hopping over to Portugal. It was an awesome place! Did ATVing in the desert and stuff. Would like to take my parents/siblings there someday.

Haven't been to Australia and definitely want to. That and New Zealand are on the list but right now I think they are closed. Hopefully by then they'll reopen. The idea is to travel somewhere that I can take a few weeks off for PTO and work remote for a few weeks - so maybe 4 weeks or so total. I work on West Coast time though so anywhere that's more than 9-10 hours ahead means I'd have to work late into the night which isn't preferable.

I see. Yea, it might be best to just pack up the car and do a road trip then. Not sure where you'd go as I'm not that familiar with your area, but I've always found solace in visiting small towns and finding an A&B. Not sure if you're into outdoors stuff, but I've always loved Colorado. Great stream/trout fishing there and some incredible hiking spots. Can do pikes peak where you drive up the mountain. Then go on a hike down then back up. Find a cabin or something and just chill.

Sometime the simple and cheap vacations are the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:51 PM   #15
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Again, that's my opinion based on my experiences, preferences, etc.
Japan was #1 on my dream list, but after visiting it, it overall barely met the - rather high, admittedly,- expectations. I didn't regret going there, but there're other places I'd visit again before Japan.
Which countries were better for you?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:47 PM   #16
smyles
Major
Rep

Quote:
Which countries were better for you?
Hm, haven't really thought about, but probably would go again to: Italy (not Venice!), Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway), heck even Iceland; South Africa but with neighboring countries this time (after bumping up life insurance).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:56 PM   #17
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
My 35th is coming up in 2 months and I wanted to start thinking about it. Was gonna go to Croatia this coming Sunday but decided to do a trip in October instead. I know we’re in a pandemic and many destinations are blocked off to US travelers. Hoping that October brings more openings. Would like to get some suggestions.

I like culture, food, wine, nature, and some activities. Not into the whole partying scene. I took a few months and traveled the world when I turned 30 and would like to do continue the same “tradition” and do a trip for a few weeks.
I went around the world when I was 20. Ironically, at the time, I'd only been to a few cities right here in the US. Suggestion: Road trip. I'd make Zion National Park in Utah a stop and plan around that. Take some camping gear, sleep under the stars under an unfamiliar sky. Head east until you miss home, then head north...

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 11:06 PM   #18
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haven't been to Australia and definitely want to. That and New Zealand are on the list but right now I think they are closed. Hopefully by then they'll reopen. The idea is to travel somewhere that I can take a few weeks off for PTO and work remote for a few weeks - so maybe 4 weeks or so total. I work on West Coast time though so anywhere that's more than 9-10 hours ahead means I'd have to work late into the night which isn't preferable.

I see. Yea, it might be best to just pack up the car and do a road trip then. Not sure where you'd go as I'm not that familiar with your area, but I've always found solace in visiting small towns and finding an A&B. Not sure if you're into outdoors stuff, but I've always loved Colorado. Great stream/trout fishing there and some incredible hiking spots. Can do pikes peak where you drive up the mountain. Then go on a hike down then back up. Find a cabin or something and just chill.

Sometime the simple and cheap vacations are the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
My 35th is coming up in 2 months and I wanted to start thinking about it. Was gonna go to Croatia this coming Sunday but decided to do a trip in October instead. I know we're in a pandemic and many destinations are blocked off to US travelers. Hoping that October brings more openings. Would like to get some suggestions.

I like culture, food, wine, nature, and some activities. Not into the whole partying scene. I took a few months and traveled the world when I turned 30 and would like to do continue the same "tradition" and do a trip for a few weeks.
I went around the world when I was 20. Ironically, at the time, I'd only been to a few cities right here in the US. Suggestion: Road trip. I'd make Zion National Park in Utah a stop and plan around that. Take some camping gear, sleep under the stars under an unfamiliar sky. Head east until you miss home, then head north...
That's awesome! I haven't been to that many places in the US to be honest. I've done Hawaii few times, Vegas, Tahoe, NY once few years ago, and that's pretty much it. Most of my trips have been international. Between Germany and Italy alone I've been 14 times. Would go back to Italy in a heartbeat whenever it opens. Nordic region is at the top of my list. Turkey, Greece, and Croatia are as well.

Road trip across the US actually sounds very nice. Thought about it here and there over the last few years actually. Doing it solo though sounds a bit boring. Traveling internationally I always make friends or meet girls and hangout with them. Will have to think about this some more but it is definitely doable. I have a Porsche Macan S which would be fun and comfy to drive as well as doing some light off-roading.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #19
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Absolutely stunned anyone even considers travelling anywhere in the middle of a pandemic. Just sit tight for a bit, it's not that hard. And Australia and NZ? They have banned their own people from going out of country, this is why they have a handful of cases, because they listen to their medical professionals. Sit tight.

Also, Australia has a mandatory 14 day quarantine, not "please quarantine" but "get on this bus sir we are taking you to a hotel for 2 weeks, if you leave you will be heavily fined and possibly jailed" quarantine. A woman was jailed for 2 months for crossing state borders without permission.

Last edited by Alfisti; 09-01-2020 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
      09-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #20
smyles
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's awesome! I haven't been to that many places in the US to be honest. I've done Hawaii few times, Vegas, Tahoe, NY once few years ago, and that's pretty much it...
As a suggestion, North East/Nova Scotia/Quebec.

Alternatively, Alaska, but it's bitch to drive there, probably.

South Cali/Mexico is a fun destination, although I wouldn't visit Tijuana by myself and/or in my own Macan (or anything more than beater chevy).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #21
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Absolutely stunned anyone even considers travelling anywhere in the middle of a pandemic. Just sit tight for a bit, it's not that hard. And Australia and NZ? They have banned their own people from going out of country, this is why they have a handful of cases, because they listen to their medical professionals. Sit tight.
We all had plans to do stuff this year, 2020 is basically canceled

Just postpone it, if you go now it's like going to your favorite restaurant after hours, just cold sandwiches available and the crew is vacuuming the carpet in front of your table

Ya you can go but is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #22
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

I definitely understand and see where some of you are coming from with the pandemic stuff. My thinking is that whatever you do, just try to minimize the risk but live your life. There are so many things I regret not doing because I listened to others. Life is short. You really never know when it’s your time to go. So while I have time on this Earth, I might as well make some memories.
Appreciate 0