E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > newbie need some advise

05-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
[SIPUT]
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sparkling graphite 320i

newbie need some advise

i'm about to do full detailing on my car (e90 sparkling graphite with light to moderate swirls) and i already have the following:

-megs "3 step" (all three)
-megs tyre dressing
-megs QD
-mothers QD
-mothers sealant
-megs MF towels
-random orbital buffer with MF pads

and i'm currently thinking of buying:

Clay Magic Fine Grade (Blue) Clay Bar
-Poorboys Pro-Polish or menzerna PO85RD
-Poorboys SSR1 or menzerna PO106FF
-Poorboys EX-P
-Poorboys Wheel Sealant

my goal is to remove all of the swirl marks and of course make the car as shiny as possible

the questions are:
-am i missing something?
-are those products that i already have sufficient to get satisfactory result for my car? if not then which of the poorboys products should i buy?

few things to be noted:
-im a newbie so it might be better for buy something which is easy to use.
-zaino and CG are out of consideration since im located in australia and it is hard for me to buy them locally
- if there is any other brand i should consider then please suggest something which is reasonably priced
-some panels of my car had just been repainted..should i wait for a while?

sorry if i ask too much questions as i'm a complete newbie in car detailing
advise would be highly appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
turbojet3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

I would top it off with Poor boys Natty red, if you like the Carnuba look.
      05-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name
Norway
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

answers in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SIPUT] View Post
i'm about to do full detailing on my car (e90 sparkling graphite with light to moderate swirls) and i already have the following:

-megs "3 step" (all three)
-megs tyre dressing
-megs QD
-mothers QD
-mothers sealant
-megs MF towels

and i'm currently thinking of buying:

Clay Magic Fine Grade (Blue) Clay Bar
-Poorboys EX-P
-Poorboys Wheel Sealant

my goal is to remove all of the swirl marks and of course make the car as shiny as possible then you'll have a good arsenal with your current setup + claybar and abrasive polish.

the questions are:
-am i missing something? you'll need either the SSR1 (or more aggressive depending on the swirls), or Menzerna 106ff to remove swirls, because...
-are those products that i already have sufficient to get satisfactory result for my car? ....Meg's 3-step system will not remove swirls, step #2 is a filler which fills & hides the swirls, it doesn't remove swirls because it isn't abrasive. if not then which of the poorboys products should i buy? SSR1 is for very light swirls, it's a "finisher". always try the lightest polish first.

few things to be noted:
-im a newbie so it might be better for buy something which is easy to use.a random orbital + SSR1 or 106ff should be relatively easy.
-zaino and CG are out of consideration since im located in australia and it is hard for me to buy them locally Menzerna polishes are much better than CG and Zaino polishes, so no worries.
- if there is any other brand i should consider then please suggest something which is reasonably priced Menzerna probably makes the best polishes right now.
-some panels of my car had just been repainted..should i wait for a while? yes! don't polish or apply a sealant/wax for about 90 days after a repaint (? - someone chime in on this).

sorry if i ask too much questions as i'm a complete newbie in car detailing
advise would be highly appreciated!! we all are/were! good luck

E92 335i coupe March 2007
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
[SIPUT]
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sparkling graphite 320i

^^ thanks BayerischeMW for your help, one more quick question: if i buy
menzerna PO106FF, do i still need to buy Poorboys Pro-Polish/menzerna PO85RD? or are they the same thing?

anyone have opinion abt polishing freshly repainted panels?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name
Norway
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

you're welcome

no, normally you wouldn't need anything else. Menzerna 106ff is an abrasive polish that's also a "finisher"; it leaves a glossy, LSP-ready (last step product) finish.

E92 335i coupe March 2007
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i

i agree with that. menzerna is the way to go. just tried some today and it work great! i would say menzerna super intensive polish followed by menzerna 106ff. ive tried the meguiars products and they never seem to work well, and the guy who sold them to me always had some sort of excuse as to why they didnt work well. it was either to hot that day or maybe it was the paint type or blah blah blah. ive found that menzerna just plain and simple works. no excuses.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
haper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci

with detailing you need to weigh your goal is against the time and money you are willing to invest. this is a generalization, but here are the three type of 'detailer' i see online:

the average person is just looking for an improvement over the present look and are happy w/ the results achieved using over the counter products by hand.

a smaller percentage want better results, theirs supplies include an orbital buffer, a few foam pads and mail-order polish, sealant and wax. btw: i fall in this category.

then there are those looking for perfection, they have all the supplies including rotary and orbital buffers, complete line of polishes, paint gauges, sun guns, $1,000 waxes, etc.

Quote:
what type of buffer is this? if it's one of those less then $70 USD ones that are intended to apply / remove wax? to get decent results you'll need a PC / Flex or equivalent.

and you'll need foam pads - i'd say 2 orange LC pads, 2 white LC pads and one gray or blue finishing pad.

Quote:
-Poorboys EX-P
-Poorboys Wheel Sealant
i've read that menzerna polishes are better for the bmw clear coat. for my first detail i used mezerna SIP w/ the LC orange pad and 106FF w/ the LC white pad on my bmw. while i doubt you'll need something as agressive as SIP w/ the orange pad its good to have on-hand for the stubborn swirl or scratch.

you want to use the least aggressive setup to achieve the result you want. so start in a small spot w/ 106FF and white pad, if you aren't getting the correction you want try 106 w/ orange pad, then SIP w/ white, then SIP w/ orange.

if you have only a few spots that have bad swirls, remember that you can hit only those spots w/ SIP and orange, then do the whole car w/ 106FF and white.

Quote:
-are those products that i already have sufficient to get satisfactory result for my car? if not then which of the poorboys products should i buy?
i'm not knowledgeable on the meg's or mother's products, but my guess is they will yield some improvement. but i'd highly recommend the menzerna line - it will give you the peace of mind you're using one of the best lines of polishes out there.

Quote:
-im a newbie so it might be better for buy something which is easy to use.
like i said, i used the polishes listed above and a Flex for the first time and didn't have any problems. just check out the youTube videos for help, give yourself plenty of time to do the detail and be patient. i get into problems when i try rushing things.

Last edited by haper; 05-30-2008 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0