no particular order
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      03-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Just get a good phone and have a good mechanic on speed dial. Save yourself a ton of grief.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #26
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Apex View Post
well where do you put your tools? lol
Hanging on the wall in the garage. Each with their own space, so when you're done working on the car you can immediately see if any tool is missing. If you arrive home from work and you're walking into the house, you'll see that the wife or kids has "borrowed" anything and not returned it. That way you don't take the seats out only to find you've no longer got a torx driver to finish the job.

Generally I leave sockets in the box they came in, and I've got two sets of screwdrivers & spanners (not that you need two sets, it just tends to happen as you get older) one on the wall, another still in their box/roll for jobs on-the-go.

A toolbox suits people who are working on-site, but you're forever rifling through the thing to find a tool from the bottom, and forever loosing stuff because it's not clear what's missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub679 View Post
Any recommendations for the OBD2 scan tool? I've got a beater '03 Toyota that I need to check a code on. Thanks.
An android tablet with a ODB2 cable. It's probably more expensive than a cheap ebay scanner, but then you've got all the equipment you need for a MHD flash tune (and hopefully soon a xHP TCU Tune) later in life
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Tool chests have wheels for a reason...

To roll under the car near the area you are working under...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #28
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Regarding tool boxes. I have a cantilever tool box and I love this thing!

Name:  9a4475fbf3916479a0bd2b3ac95c0e4e.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  70.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #29
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Floor jack, jack stands, socket set, wrench set, torque wrench, pliers, screwdriver set, cordless impact, allen wrenches is a good start.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58873.50
      09-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #30
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Keep handbook in car, have spare fuses and bulbs and a few simple tools in the car, litre of oil, latex gloves and a puncture repair kit with tyre inflator should the cat not have a spare wheel of some kind. Cell phone with charger cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #31
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Regarding tool boxes. I have a cantilever tool box and I love this thing!

Attachment 1588874
I got a cheap box from lowes a little while ago, super helpful in organizing and just rolling the box to whatever vehicle im working on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352338.50
      09-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #32
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

just a high end toolbox from home depot has served me well. 99% of cars stuff can be handled with that. i got one for 150-200 bucks.

anything more than an intake or exhaust i'm calling up an indy shop.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #33
dís_f30
G
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30 Luxury Line

Garage List
Tools...start with the basics. Socket set, screw drivers, trim tools, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #34
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Though a few have mentioned torque wrenches, at some point it may be worth the upgrade to a digital torque wrench. One of the things you don't want to cheap out on is properly-torqued bolts and lugs.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #35
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
Though a few have mentioned torque wrenches, at some point it may be worth the upgrade to a digital torque wrench. One of the things you don't want to cheap out on is properly-torqued bolts and lugs.
I've tuned, tinkered and upgraded probably more to my car than 99% of this forum, but all done with old britool torque wrenches from the 60's and 70's (these don't even have a ratcheting head, however their designstyle does have some advantages).
Never felt the need for a digital one. The premium price they cost is better spent on more normal (and specialty) tools if such a decision were to occur.
I have worked with them and only in some situations they are maybe more ergonomic (and of course in professional production enviroments they offer logging of torque data for quality control etc). But when using them I'm mostly in fear of damaging the electronics. When tinkering usually my tools end up all togheter on a cart or table, including the toque wrenches. Not a good enviroment for the weak lcd displays.

Besides, on most parts of the car, the "properly torqued" parts is often more that bolts hold the same torque than extreme accuracy of that torque.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-12-2021 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #36
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I've tuned, tinkered and upgraded probably more to my car than 99% of this forum, but all done with old britool torque wrenches from the 60's and 70's (these don't even have a ratcheting head, however their designstyle does have some advantages).
Never felt the need for a digital one. The premium price they cost is better spent on more normal (and specialty) tools if such a decision were to occur.
I have worked with them and only in some situations they are maybe more ergonomic (and of course in professional production enviroments they offer logging of torque data for quality control etc). But when using them I'm mostly in fear of damaging the electronics. When tinkering usually my tools end up all togheter on a cart or table, including the toque wrenches. Not a good enviroment for the weak lcd displays.

Besides, on most parts of the car, the "properly torqued" parts is often more that bolts hold the same torque than extreme accuracy of that torque.
Do you ever find yourself setting each mechanical torque wrench to one verified torque, and then end up having a bunch of adjustable manual torque wrenches that're all set to their own single-torque settings? That's how I operated (guess I'm lazy), which led me to a digital one. I use exclusively manual, non-ratcheting (wrench-head) TRs on all of my electronics, I'll agree with you on that, along with the fear of smashing the LCD.

Last edited by Equilibrandt; 10-12-2021 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:36 AM   #37
macloren
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Aside from the basic tools, I bought a Viair tire inflator from 4wheelonline so no need for me to go to a gas station or tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:00 AM   #38
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
Do you ever find yourself setting each mechanical torque wrench to one verified torque, and then end up having a bunch of adjustable manual torque wrenches that're all set to their own single-torque settings?
You have multiple torque wrenches of the same model/same torque range?
I don't; I use then as they are ment to be.
I set the desired torque, and when using them and I need a different torque, I set that different torque.
When I'm done with the job I set the wrenches to 0 and put them away.

I have 4 wrenches but in ascending range span.

In some cases torque wrenches with a compact head size can be very handy.
Or torque wrenches that can adapt open box heads like some stahlwille manoskops (sadly those are very expensive)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1