BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

01-11-2024, 08:22 AM   #1
twhy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Stiff brake pedal on/after wet days

Hi guys! Driving a 116i here.

During and after wet days, my brake pedal will become very hard to depress on. The pedal can only be depressed to a maximum of 20-30% from the usual and the car will full brake already, resulting in difficult control of the brakes.

On normal dry days, the braking is perfectly fine.

I was on an AP brake kit. Changed ss brake hose and flushed brakes didn’t help. So I changed back to stock brakes (calipers and pads) and flushed brakes again, still same issue. Wheels aligned as well.

Any advise?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 05:47 AM   #2
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 120i M-Sport 2022

You know the car has a "brake drying" system, right? In wet weather, light pressure is applied to the pads to wipe water off the discs. This does make the pedal more responsive. Or higher or harder, however you want to put it.

Of course, that still doesn't explain why this happens "after" wet days. Unless your windscreen sensor is, or still thinks its wet.

Do you have cruise control? When you drive with it on, down a steep hill, the brakes will apply to keep the set speed. The feeling in the brake pedal is similar to wet weather. The pedal is firm/hard/high.

The wet weather could be promoting rust somewhere, that would also give a stiff pedal, if the pads don't move freely....but you don't have any loss in braking, as I would expect to follow this phenomenon.
Appreciate 0