BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > [VIDEO] Bluetooth remote controller opening and closing M2 M Performance Exhaust

02-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #67
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I know the dude from BMW said the MPE does not add horsepower but is that because of the DME adjusting to the loss of backpressure and would need a tune to realize any gains or is it because this exhaust provides no loss of backpressure. You would think it would be a free flowing exhaust both because of the sound and doesn't it bypass the muffler. Also, isn't the resonator in the mid pipe removed? Wouldn't that free up air flow? So with the exhaust flaps open, wouldn't it essentially be straight pipes (not including cat)? Yes? No? Am I stupid? Wishful thinking?
From the interview with BMW representatives at SEMA 2015:
Q: Any power gains from the M Performance Exhaust?
A: Few gains should be expected just from changing axle back exhaust on a turbocharged BMW because
1) the main restrictions are in the two catalytic converters, which are retained with an axle-back exhaust and
2) no gains should be expected without remapping the ECU because the ECU is always correcting, so for example if the car loses backpressure, the ECU will reduce power.
Q: How do valves operate on the M Performance Exhaust?
A: Valves are solely driver-controlled using an included bluetooth remote (see photo of exhaust remote from a MINI, which the M2 remote will resemble). The exhaust valves do not automatically open or close at a certain RPM.
[From Jason: the remote may come in packaging which should fit in the cupholder to act conveniently as a remote holder].
Q: Does the M2 M Performance Exhaust use the same tips as the M3/M4 MPP exhaust?
A: Yes, they are interchangeable.
(source: here)

Q: What are the technical specs on the M2 exhaust system?
A: The material is going to be stainless steel and you will be able to choose between carbon fiber tips and titanium tips. But the construction will be stainless steel for cost reasons. The tips will also be interchangeable between M3 and M4 exhaust systems. There will be no power gains with an axle-back exhaust because the turbocharged engine will compensate to create the same amount of torque. It would be different with a naturally-aspirated engine, but not with the turbocharged engine.
(source: here)
      02-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #68
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

understand that certain countries might have a problem with the loudness of track mode.

But if you don't - then why would you ever turn it off...EVER!!?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #69
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Wasn't expecting that. It sounds awesome.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #70
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
not X5M but X5 Msport (big difference)
Damn! That sounds great. Sheesh.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #71
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

this is just crazy is the car ala cart every item. pay extra for this and that. Its a M. What is bmw selling me a build your self a M car. All these extra parts should be included especially for the cost and size and lack of the M3 motor.
      02-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #72
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i View Post
this is just crazy is the car ala cart every item. pay extra for this and that. Its a M. What is bmw selling me a build your self a M car. All these extra parts should be included especially for the cost and size and lack of the M3 motor.
CSB.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #73
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToe View Post
Nice sound but underwhelmed with the overall design of requiring a separate fob with a bluetooth remote. Really!??? The base M2 exhaust has an electronically controlled valve and its functionality is integrated with the Sport and Sport+ settings. I can't comprehend why they couldn't integrate this similarly or integrate in with the iDrive. Get rid of the fob.

With this design I have to find the key fob for when I want the cool sound (remember there is no performance benefit per BMW). In my pocket? Oops. No. I left the fob in the house. Now I have to drive back home to get it so my car will sound cool.

Overall a fail. Very expensive, poorly designed gimmicky remote control for the sound, no performance gain. Do we really need a remote control for my exhaust? I don't need it or even want it. The exhaust does look nice though. I have the BMWP exhaust on my e90 and e82. Both are winners. This one - not so much. Hope the base sound with exhaust is enticing enough that I won't be compelled to spend money on any system. If not, and I'm compelled to spend money on one then this one won't be on my short list.
I have this on my Mini and at least there it comes with a power upgrade kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #74
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i View Post
Want some extra rainbow on your unicorn too?
You are living in a dream world if you really think that...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #75
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Nice sound but underwhelmed with the overall design of requiring a separate fob with a bluetooth remote. Really!??? The base M2 exhaust has an electronically controlled valve and its functionality is integrated with the Sport and Sport+ settings. I can't comprehend why they couldn't integrate this similarly or integrate in with the iDrive. Get rid of the fob.

With this design I have to find the key fob for when I want the cool sound (remember there is no performance benefit per BMW). In my pocket? Oops. No. I left the fob in the house. Now I have to drive back home to get it so my car will sound cool.

Overall a fail. Very expensive, poorly designed gimmicky remote control for the sound, no performance gain. Do we really need a remote control for my exhaust? I don't need it or even want it. The exhaust does look nice though. I have the BMWP exhaust on my e90 and e82. Both are winners. This one - not so much. Hope the base sound with exhaust is enticing enough that I won't be compelled to spend money on any system. If not, and I'm compelled to spend money on one then this one won't be on my short list.
Nailed it square on the head. Playstation car this way. Just make a dash switch.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 01:37 AM   #76
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Quote:

This is actually the exact same bluetooth remote fob that Mini use for their JCW Tuning Package (consisting of the full exhaust and a remap) that I have on my F56.

On the F56, the exhaust itself delivers decent gains. With the accompanying remap more so.

The natural state of the exhaust is valves open - where you get a raucous sound - lots of pops and bangs on the overrun. But the sound levels of the exhaust with valves open are beyond UK and german limits imposed by law - in fact when having fitted you need to sign a legal waiver that you wont use the valves open mode on roads!

So BMW in some combination of engineering and marketing cleverness decided to make the valves switchable and call the valves closed mode 'Sport' and the valves open mode 'Track' and bundle a bluetooth remote to control the actuator. Gimmicky? Yes, no doubt - but I'd rather have the option of the valves open mode because it really is a wonderful sound when you get chance to enjoy driving. Its not that often, but the fob just lives in my centre console. Never lost it, never not known where it is.

The reason its like this of course is that it's an aftermarket dealer fit kit. The kit was first introduced on the special edition F56 Challenge 210. If this M2 MPE is dealer fit, then I understand the remote makes sense - probably a lot cheaper for them than developing and integrating the functionality into a dedicated iDrive version for the M2. (Though I agree that would be the preferred implementation).

Last edited by subsy; 02-14-2016 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2016, 03:35 AM   #77
F80 M Freak
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 m3

What kind remote is that? Can I have that on my F80 M3?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #78
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsy View Post
This is actually the exact same bluetooth remote fob that Mini use for their JCW Tuning Package (consisting of the full exhaust and a remap) that I have on my F56.
On the F56, the exhaust itself delivers decent gains. With the accompanying remap more so.
The natural state of the exhaust is valves open - where you get a raucous sound - lots of pops and bangs on the overrun. But the sound levels of the exhaust with valves open are beyond UK and german limits imposed by law - in fact when having fitted you need to sign a legal waiver that you wont use the valves open mode on roads!
So BMW in some combination of engineering and marketing cleverness decided to make the valves switchable and call the valves closed mode 'Sport' and the valves open mode 'Track' and bundle a bluetooth remote to control the actuator. Gimmicky? Yes, no doubt - but I'd rather have the option of the valves open mode because it really is a wonderful sound when you get chance to enjoy driving. Its not that often, but the fob just lives in my centre console. Never lost it, never not known where it is.
The reason its like this of course is that it's an aftermarket dealer fit kit. The kit was first introduced on the special edition F56 Challenge 210. If this M2 MPE is dealer fit, then I understand the remote makes sense - probably a lot cheaper for them than developing and integrating the functionality into a dedicated iDrive version for the M2. (Though I agree that would be the preferred implementation).
BMW looked at how Akrapovič is doing it for years for some of its exhausts (butterfly valve control with a remote control) and realized that it's definitely worth stepping into the game too: profitable aftermarket niche.

The BMW M Performance Exhaust should have been made in titanium instead of stainless steel. I know that BMW fences with the cost argument. However, titanium will be an advantage for the M2 exhaust that Akrapovič will release this year (apart from its top-notch quality). And as the MPE is already pretty pricy, Akrapovič can afford to further raise its price.

Name:  Akra_Wireless_1M.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  47.2 KB
Name:  Akra_Wireless_New.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  23.3 KB
      02-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #79
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
Nailed it square on the head. Playstation car this way. Just make a dash switch.
Dash switch likely adds expense to the install... and everyone is going to complain about the price to begin with.

As to why this doesn't integrate into existing settings, clearly it's a lot louder than what would be 'street legal' in most markets.

Rather than pillory BMW, we should applaud them for finding a way to sell an exhaust that sounds this good.

If you want to run it in Track mode 24/7, that's awesome, and now entirely your prerogative. If BMW had to homologate a purely-street legal exhaust, you wouldn't have the option (dash switch or Bluetooth).
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #80
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

which one is typically more expensive? Akrapovič or MPE
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #81
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:

Difference is: The fob will activate track mode, a mode that you are not allowed to use on the normal street. This mode is just allowed on a race track or something comparable. With the exhaust in track mode, the car has no official allowance to be driven on the street (in Germany). So you really need a fob or a similar solution other than the normal sport, sport + buttons.
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #82
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Sounds so good!