E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Problems with Bluetooth and Razr

12-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
stelmach
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

Problems with Bluetooth and Razr

I'm having problems using my Razr phone with my 325. I'm able to pair the phone with the car, but as soon as it pairs, the connection is dropped. It seems like I'm not the only one to have this problem, but I noticed something interesting with my menu icons. The phone icon is not a phone (like the picture in the manual.) Instead, i just get two dashes like the picture below.

Does anyone else have this icon? The car is an october build with the premium package.

Thanks!
Attached Images

12-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
robinli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi SP

This looks exactly like mine. And, I have a black Razr and I have exact problem that you mentioned. Exactly the same. Mine is a Sept built 325xi.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
stelmach
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinli
This looks exactly like mine. And, I have a black Razr and I have exact problem that you mentioned. Exactly the same. Mine is a Sept built 325xi.
Have you spoken to anyone at the dealer/BMWNA/Motorola about the problem?
      12-09-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
robinli
Enlisted Member
Rep

I booked an appointment for next Monday.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
blke90man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Sport Line

I actually get this icon every once and a while when my phone has not automatically connected to the car. I used to turn the car on and off to try to get the car to pair with the phone, but it never worked. Then I tried to pair it manually, and it works. This is what I do when that icon appears:
1. Press the button with that icon in the menu
2. Press the BT button on the screen
3. Press SEARCH
3. Go into your phone and select car's pairing number (should be under tools>connection>bluetooth link>handsfree>then your car's pairing number will appear on the phone)
4. The car will be searching for the phone and the phone will be searching for the car...they will not pair up. I let them search for each other for about 30 seconds then I press QUIT on the screen and close my phone.

In about 5-10 seconds the phone and car then automatically pair and you're good to go. I know this seems really complicated, but it really only takes less than a minute and is really easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 11:34 PM   #6
axiom
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I have the same problem and go through the same steps to fix it, except after step 3 when you press Search, I just press Quit. Like you said in about 5-10 seconds they will pair. However after having to go through these steps when I turn off the car and remove the key fob, the phone and car stay paired instead of disconnecting like it normally does. Even though there is no power and the radio is off, I can place a call and still have it come out over the car's speakers. I have to drop the connection from the phone to disconnect, or just walk away and it drops once you get far enough away from the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 09:11 AM   #7
stelmach
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I'm still not having any luck. The pairing number isn't showing up int the handsfree menu. The only option I have is 'Search For Devices' even though the phone is being stored in the car as a pairable device. When I go through the pairing process, The car says 'Successful', but the phone flashes the message 'Unable to Connect'

Any other ideas??
      12-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

I am having similar problems with my Razr. I just bought it about a week ago and on several different occasions it did not pair and I had to complete the above steps. Does anyone know if an update to the newest software for the car will fix this problem? Also do you guys know if it’s just the Razr having these problems? If so, I still have a few days left to exchange my phone for a different model that might work better. Any suggestions, let me know.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
stelmach
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90driver
I am having similar problems with my Razr. I just bought it about a week ago and on several different occasions it did not pair and I had to complete the above steps. Does anyone know if an update to the newest software for the car will fix this problem? Also do you guys know if it’s just the Razr having these problems? If so, I still have a few days left to exchange my phone for a different model that might work better. Any suggestions, let me know.
On your razr, if you go to settings -> Connection -> Bluetooth Link -> Handsfree, do you see the bmw listed there? Mine does not show it there, however it is being shown in the Bluetooth Link -> Device History section.
      12-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, BMW is listed in my handsfree area. To add it to your handsfree area, go to handsfree and select "look for devices" while having the car look for your phone. don't use the "find me" under the setups menu in bluetooth.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
stelmach
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90driver
Yes, BMW is listed in my handsfree area. To add it to your handsfree area, go to handsfree and select "look for devices" while having the car look for your phone. don't use the "find me" under the setups menu in bluetooth.
Yea, its kind of weird, this whole process works...the phone is added to the car, but for some reason the car is not getting added to the phone :mad:
      12-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #12
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep

I deleted my car from my phone and my phone from my car- and repaired the two- and now I have the phone icon on my radio menu. Also next to the signal in the radio display, i have a phone instead of the old triange. My phone worked flawlessly all day even after running to store after store and probably 15 starts. Hope it keeps working great. I'm thinking maybe I didn't do the process right before since I never had that phone icon.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #13
stelmach
Rep

Yes! It actually worked for the first time today....The only thing I can think of is that I left the phone in the car for about a half hour when I was washing it. When I started the car up, the phone connected with no problem. THEN, it wouldn't work again all day. SO ANNOYING. This is a pretty expensive option for it to work so poorly like this.

Last edited by stelmach; 12-12-2005 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
zimbofk
Undisputed World Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiom
I have the same problem and go through the same steps to fix it, except after step 3 when you press Search, I just press Quit. Like you said in about 5-10 seconds they will pair. However after having to go through these steps when I turn off the car and remove the key fob, the phone and car stay paired instead of disconnecting like it normally does. Even though there is no power and the radio is off, I can place a call and still have it come out over the car's speakers. I have to drop the connection from the phone to disconnect, or just walk away and it drops once you get far enough away from the car.
You don't need to drop the connection to get out of bluetooth. Simply go to "Bluetooth Link" screen on phone, scoll down to "Setup" and turn "Power" to "off". That way you can continue your call.

The little button on the top left of my Razr (when open), automatically takes me to the bluetooth screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #15
robinli
Enlisted Member
Rep

It is not the phone. It is the car.
I tried a Razr, a T610, a Blackberry and a Xda Pocket PC phone. All have the same problem - can pair but only connects some time.

I took it to the BMW dealer this morning. I replicated the problem. The guy used his own phone - a Motolora something. It did not work with his phone. He said that his phone works in all BMW cars. He said that mine did not work right at all. So, I booked another appointment this Wednesday and they will give me a loaner car.

As said by some other members in the forum. If I leave the phone in the car for some time with the car off. (you may need to lock the car - I am not sure) Then, the next time you turn on the car, it will connect.

If it connects, then try shut down the phone's bluetooth, turn off the car, take the phone out of the car, lock the door. Then turn on the phone's bluetooth while it is outside of the car, (you may need to wait a minute or two) then go in the car, turn on the car, it will not connect again.

---------

I received another phone call from the dealer. They told me that I do not need to bring the car back to them this Wednesday. They said that they found the issue in the BMW technical bulletin (or something like that) that it is a known issue. And, BMW is working on it. Will let me know if there is a solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #16
stelmach
Rep

You should ask them for a copy of the bulletin.
      12-12-2005, 10:12 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

before the software update, my fone worked fine. always worked. Now sometimes it wouldnt connect...i would try to connect but it wouldnt work. I think the update fucked it up
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 08:07 AM   #18
stelmach
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
before the software update, my fone worked fine. always worked. Now sometimes it wouldnt connect...i would try to connect but it wouldnt work. I think the update fucked it up
Are you referring to the September software update?
      01-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #19
drfoster
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Premium/Sport

Unable to Connect

Although I've been able to "pair" my T-Mobile Motorola RAZR V3 to my 06 325i (non iDrive), I have NEVER been able to connect. At the point it tries to connect, the phone consistently displays "Unable to Connect". The car NEVER shows up in the phone's Handsfree list although it does show up in the Device History list. Also, the phone does show up in the car's list.

When I try to establish the connection (after a successful pairing), I see a "check" show up next to the phone's name on the radio. This is simultaneous to the "Unable to Connect" message on the phone. Within 2-3 seconds, the "check" disappears.

Note: My wife has the exact same phone which also fails to work in the exact same manner.

My car was build 9/2005. I don't know if the dealer updated the software when I took delivery on 12/31/2005 or not.

Does anybody know positively if there is a software update that DOES fix this problem.

FYI: My previous phone was a Nokia 3650 w/BT. I moved the SIM from the RAZR back into this phone and got basically the same result, although the phone didn't handle the connection failure as gracefully. The phone basically HUNG and I had to remove the battery to get it to restart. I know the phone isn't on BMW's list, just thought I'd give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #20
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
E90Fleet's list of CIP 20 fixes

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #21
nnk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

RAZR connection problem

I have a problem with bluetooth connection for my RAZR (I have 325xi, sept. 2005). I paired it successfully, but it only connects intermittently in the car. I brought the car for service to BMW dealer requesting the software update I read about at this forum. BMW re-paired the phone without doing software upgrade. The connection worked at the time of testing, but, unfortunately, the problem re-occurs: the phone sometimes connects and sometimes does not. BMW wanted to charge me for this service (agreed to waive after I protested), but told me that I will need to pay for the software upgrade. Any advice will be highly appreciated. I read that many people had similar issues. Does this CIP 20 fix the problem? Do I really need to pay for that?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #22
FeeBear
Fee
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 SO M4

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
Hey nnk, the software upgrade is Free. It is part of your maintanence.I bought my car August 2005 and they did my upgrade last week (My car as been under a cover for the winter.)
Appreciate 0