BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Another color question?

Thinking about White, M Sport, and Mocha Nappa. But which "White" would be best and why (hopefully)?
A- Mineral White metalic
B- Alpine White
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I did mineral white metalic with msport and mocha nappa, I had alpine on my last x5 and it is nice, but the mineral white just looks less plain and pops more, just my opinion, but I like it more than the alpine.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I did mineral white metalic with msport and mocha nappa, I had alpine on my last x5 and it is nice, but the mineral white just looks less plain and pops more, just my opinion, but I like it more than the alpine.
+1 I had that combo on my first F15. Was sorry it was not available on the m sport F15.

Last edited by MattBianco; 02-24-2016 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Chef NOLA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 4.0i

I think the Mineral White is gorgeous. Have it with Terra Dakota, but it would look just as nice with Mocha Nappa. Most def the luxurious look with either interior leather color...Chef K

Last edited by Chef NOLA; 01-31-2016 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
BMWboy
There is No Chance Unless You Take One
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport

Mineral White because it's more than white; really nice depth in daylight...
      01-31-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 X35i

I really love the look of the mineral white and that's coming from an Alpine white owner.

Mineral white has a really cool pearlescent effect that almost makes it look like it's frosted. It's a sharp color.
      01-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
Can Drive 5.0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by New21er View Post
Thinking about White, M Sport, and Mocha Nappa. But which "White" would be best and why (hopefully)?
A- Mineral White metalic
B- Alpine White
Thanks.
Want to see a brand new one? Mineral, that is, with Mocha Nappa.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Mineral White...but then again, I'm partial.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
So I am a huge Alpine white fan, when I was looking for my E30 all I wanted was Alpine white. I was very close to getting AW on my M3, but didnt like the cut lines on the E93 with white.

That being said, Mineral White all the way on the X5. I may be partial because I ordered one but its an awesome color.

As others have said it has a pearl effect to it in certain lights it definitely looks frosty, almost like BMW's frozen paint jobs just shiner.

I saw the new 7 in MW with Mocha at the pre-release debut and I was immediately sold on the color.

We just ordered the MW with Mocha and Fineline and will be picking it up on the 26th.
      02-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
maluch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can Drive 5.0 View Post
Want to see a brand new one? Mineral, that is, with Mocha Nappa.
That's the color combo that I want too.
With the Mocha Nappa - is the Interior design package mandatory?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

You can just do mocha Dakota leather and get the same color without the design package, you don't get the rest of the stuff in the design package and you can't do ventilated seats with Dakota, but if that is fine, then you can get the color combo without spending the extra 1900.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #12
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
You can just do mocha Dakota leather and get the same color without the design package, you don't get the rest of the stuff in the design package and you can't do ventilated seats with Dakota, but if that is fine, then you can get the color combo without spending the extra 1900.
Luxury seating is available with Dakota
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #13
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

I had the same dilemma as you so what i did is this: I asked the dealer to put two X5 (mineral and alpine) side by side so i can see the difference (in a nice sunny day). For me, i found that the X5 looked MUCH better in alpine. the pearl on the mineral takes away from the natural shine of the paint (the clear) and it looks too much like that cadillac STS pearl white color from 10 years ago. I just don't find that it's a serious colour. with the alpine you can see the shine of the clear and can see the natural curve shades of the X5.
just my opinion, hope nobody gets offended.
i have mine on order with alpine and ivory white (wife can't stand mocha).
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #14
maluch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
You can just do mocha Dakota leather and get the same color without the design package, you don't get the rest of the stuff in the design package
so what is the rest of the stuff in the package? other than the seat design?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 02:17 AM   #15
Billaeon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
My opinion: go with the MW. Both colors are awesome, but MW gives you white + the metallic - which as someone stated above, it's like white++.

I had a standard white S4 (Ibis) that I traded in for near the same vehicle (1 year newer, with the face-lift [mid-model refresh] and newer tech package) - but went with Glacier white over the Ibis. Basically it is white with a blue-hued metallic flake in it. That extra *pop* was really, really noticeable in sunlight - and made detailing the car that much more enjoyable.

past: '20 X3MC - Toranto Red | '17 S8 - Matte Silver | '16 X5M - LBB | '14 SQ5 - Estoril | '13 S4 - Glacier | '12 S4 - Ibis | '09 GTI - White | '01 S4 (Stg 3) - Laser | '01 A4 (1.8T) - Santorin | '97 Jetta GT - Black | '94 Integra EX - White
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #16
bluenote98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by korben dallas View Post
Yes Luxury seating is available with Dakota but only black or beige. Luxury seating = multi-coutour seats + ventilation You can get the multi-countour seats without ventilation in any color dakota except mocha which as we are talking about in this thread is a very appealing and popular color with Mineral White. To get the multi contour seats with mocha color leather you have to get the Mocha interior design package which is nappa leather plus the leather covered dash. Nappa leather is scrumptious and super smooth and soft but in my opinion not a great idea with kids and car seats. I went with mineral white and dakota mocha with regular seats. When the lease is up the kids will be three years older and I will go with the mocha nappa unless BMW figures out a way or chooses to put the mocha dakota on the multi contour seats so I don't have to spend the 2 grand or 25 bucks a month on the lease to get the nappa leather...

My vote = mineral white
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #17
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote98
Quote:
Originally Posted by korben dallas View Post
Yes Luxury seating is available with Dakota but only black or beige. Luxury seating = multi-coutour seats + ventilation You can get the multi-countour seats without ventilation in any color dakota except mocha which as we are talking about in this thread is a very appealing and popular color with Mineral White. To get the multi contour seats with mocha color leather you have to get the Mocha interior design package which is nappa leather plus the leather covered dash. Nappa leather is scrumptious and super smooth and soft but in my opinion not a great idea with kids and car seats. I went with mineral white and dakota mocha with regular seats. When the lease is up the kids will be three years older and I will go with the mocha nappa unless BMW figures out a way or chooses to put the mocha dakota on the multi contour seats so I don't have to spend the 2 grand or 25 bucks a month on the lease to get the nappa leather...

My vote = mineral white
Gotcha, didn't realize you couldn't do mocha dakota with lux seats. I went with black dakota and lux for the exact reason you mentioned, seemed like dakota would hold up better than nappa even though nappa is definitely nicer.

In any case, I vote MW as well since that's what I went with.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
TBLM235X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 440i

I wasn't crazy about the color options on the X6 Msport and decided to order white. Before making my decision, I also visited the dealer on a sunny day and compared a Mineral White and an Alpine White parked next to each other.

From a distance, they looked similar, but closer up, the AW was definitely a "whiter" white. However, what clinched it for me to order MW instead was that on close inspection I could see the swirls and micro-maring of the paint in the AW (both were new vehicles) but could not see paint blemishes in the MW.

Of course, with a proper polish, the AW would could look spotless but I was more concerned with which one would be easier to detail and maintain so I ordered the metallic for that one reason. Also, I could not detect any yellow tint in the MW.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #19
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billaeon
My opinion: go with the MW. Both colors are awesome, but MW gives you white + the metallic - which as someone stated above, it's like white++.

I had a standard white S4 (Ibis) that I traded in for near the same vehicle (1 year newer, with the face-lift [mid-model refresh] and newer tech package) - but went with Glacier white over the Ibis. Basically it is white with a blue-hued metallic flake in it. That extra *pop* was really, really noticeable in sunlight - and made detailing the car that much more enjoyable.
When dirty it looks like a Porsche grey Love that color wife had it for her short-short lived A4 as well
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
bluenote98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLM235X View Post
I wasn't crazy about the color options on the X6 Msport and decided to order white. Before making my decision, I also visited the dealer on a sunny day and compared a Mineral White and an Alpine White parked next to each other.

From a distance, they looked similar, but closer up, the AW was definitely a "whiter" white. However, what clinched it for me to order MW instead was that on close inspection I could see the swirls and micro-maring of the paint in the AW (both were new vehicles) but could not see paint blemishes in the MW.

Of course, with a proper polish, the AW would could look spotless but I was more concerned with which one would be easier to detail and maintain so I ordered the metallic for that one reason. Also, I could not detect any yellow tint in the MW.
It's the lack of yellow tint that for me makes Mineral white such a great color. It's not as sparkly as the other manufactures pearl whites but I think it's the yellow tint that gives it the sparkle effect. What we do get is a frozen effect. When under the bright florescent lights of say a parking lot, when you approach the car it looks frozen..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #21
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLM235X View Post

It's the lack of yellow tint that for me makes Mineral white such a great color. It's not as sparkly as the other manufactures pearl whites but I think it's the yellow tint that gives it the sparkle effect. What we do get is a frozen effect. When under the bright florescent lights of say a parking lot, when you approach the car it looks frozen..
That's what I loved. When I saw it on the new 7 it was under fluorescent and looked frozen, loved it!
      02-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #22
maluch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote98 View Post

My vote = mineral white
Thanks! Yeah I just learned that playing around with packages on the site - Luxury seats only with Black or Canberra Beige in Dakota, otherwise need Nappa

I'm not loving the Mocha as much as everyone quite frankly but I do like the Beige.... However - definitely concerned about maintaining the light color with a small kid. And dirty pants habits in my household

Hubby inclined to go with just Black Dakota for durability.
In which case which trim would you recommend?
I have the Hex Alum trim with black Dakota combo in my Z4 but then it makes both of my cars have the same interior....

Decisions decisions - can you tell I'm a girl??
Appreciate 0