BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

07-12-2020, 01:08 AM   #1
Harry_11K
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 N55

Exhaust valve

My exhaust valve is not opening in sport mode any reason why? I was thinking its either that the 1200 mile break in period has not been hit yet or since its not an m sport car it has been coded out
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_11K View Post
My exhaust valve is not opening in sport mode any reason why? I was thinking its either that the 1200 mile break in period has not been hit yet or since its not an m sport car it has been coded out
There is not break in period on any non M car. The exhaust valve only opens when above certain rpm/throttle. This is normal operation.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Harry_11K
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_11K View Post
There is not break in period on any non M car. The exhaust valve only opens when above certain rpm/throttle. This is normal operation.
Oh but on the manual it says 1200 miles and on my 330i non m sport the valve opens while standing still
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 12:13 AM   #4
Murat Aydinoglu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328 , 2012 e93 , 2016 f36

I am not 100% sure but it might also to do something with cat to be in certain temperature? Although mine does open when i switch to sport settings. I live in FL.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Scout70
Registered
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Break in period needed in ALL cars. Only M's need a service after it but a few people recommend you get an oil change anyway on any car.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #6
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout70 View Post
Quote:
Break in period needed in ALL cars. Only M's need a service after it but a few people recommend you get an oil change anyway on any car.
I work for BMW. There is not a running in check on non M cars. Engines are checked at the engine plant and ran (non combustion). Car is then put on a dyno and ran. The manual states "don't exceed maximum engine speed and road speed" and "avoid full load or kick down". Bmw would never leave it up to the customer to break in the engine. Vehicle has a warranty. If the car has less than 100 miles sure take it easy. After that, enjoy it. It will either run or it won't. It's that simple.
Appreciate 2
WPR30.00
      07-14-2020, 05:38 AM   #7
Scout70
Registered
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
I work for BMW. There is not a running in check on non M cars. Engines are checked at the engine plant and ran (non combustion). Car is then put on a dyno and ran. The manual states "don't exceed maximum engine speed and road speed" and "avoid full load or kick down". Bmw would never leave it up to the customer to break in the engine. Vehicle has a warranty. If the car has less than 100 miles sure take it easy. After that, enjoy it. It will either run or it won't. It's that simple.
As I said, there is not a service required for non M cars after the running in period but, as you confirm, there is a certain period where you are advised not to go over specified limits.
This applies to ALL cars it is just M models that require a service after this running in peroid.
Yes of course BMW wouldn't let customers 'break in' an engine and BM obviously test it, but they also recommend specific limits you shouldn't go over for a specified time as you state above.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #8
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

The exhaust valve is open at any speed provided you select Sport AND engine settings on another menu which gives you 3 engine sound modes:
Depending on driving mode
Balanced mode
Reduced mode

Both balanced and reduced will keep your valve closed even in the Sport setting, so select 'depending on driving mode'
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #9
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregus330i View Post
The exhaust valve is open at any speed provided you select Sport AND engine settings on another menu which gives you 3 engine sound modes:
Depending on driving mode
Balanced mode
Reduced mode

Both balanced and reduced will keep your valve closed even in the Sport setting, so select 'depending on driving mode'
That's active sound design aka the recreated sound from the cars speakers. Has nothing to do with the exhaust valve.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's active sound design aka the recreated sound from the cars speakers. Has nothing to do with the exhaust valve.
It does adjust the exhaust valve. Leaving active sound aside, I have mine disabled - The engine sound menu does change the real exhaust sound, i.e, the valve.

Depending on driving mode - So sport will be open, comfort will be closed
Balanced - Valve Opening Varies
Reduced - Valve Fully Closed

Play with this menu with your door open and listen and you'll hear the exhaust note change.

(If you have active sound enabled, yes, this menu will also alter that sound. But the problem is when you select Sport, the exhaust valve is open, but you won't hear it because the active sound will also be at its highest volume, so that's why it should be coded disabled, so you can enjoy the real exhaust sound)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #11
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Quote:
It does adjust the exhaust valve. Leaving active sound aside, I have mine disabled - The engine sound menu does change the real exhaust sound, i.e, the valve.

Play with this menu with your door open and listen and you'll hear the exhaust note change.

(If you have active sound enabled, yes, this menu will also alter that sound. But the problem is when you select Sport, the exhaust valve is open, but you won't hear it because the active sound will also be at its highest volume, so that's why it should be coded disabled, so you can enjoy the real exhaust sound)
where is this menu you are referring to? the only thing i recall seeing is choosing between comfort and sport settings, but it sounds like there are more options to choose from at least in regards to the sound of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:13 PM   #12
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
where is this menu you are referring to? the only thing i recall seeing is choosing between comfort and sport settings, but it sounds like there are more options to choose from at least in regards to the sound of the exhaust.
Click 'car' then go to 'general settings' then 'engine sound' - This is not only for active sound design, (fake sound), but also changes exhaust valve depending on setting chosen
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #13
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Again the ASD does NOT effect exhaust valve actuation. Here is the functional description right from BMW AIR client from my VIN.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #14
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

See here
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #15
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Again the ASD does NOT effect exhaust valve actuation. Here is the functional description right from BMW AIR client from my VIN.
Did you read and understand what I am precisely saying? Clearly not if your sentence is "The ASD does not affect exhaust valve actuation" - WHERE did I write that it does???

The Engine Sound menu does TWO things - It increases and reduces the ASD fake sound inside the car depending what setting you choose. It ALSO adjusts the real exhaust sound by controlling the exhaust valve.

There are THREE settings:
1. Depending on driving mode (If Sport driving mode is selected, the exhaust valve is open all the time, also, the ASD will be at its loudest - Because its at its loudest, you won't hear the nice exhaust sound with the valve open, that's why so many people have disabled ASD) (In Comfort mode, the ASD sound is reduced, but quite noticeable. The exhaust valve is closed)
2. Balanced (If sport mode is selected, ASD is similar in sound to comfort mode, but will open above certain revs, not exactly sure how many, probably around 3 or 4000 rpm. If Comfort mode is selected, the ASD is noticeable, not too loud, and the exhaust valve is closed always)
3. Reduced - The ASD is at its quietest, you can still hear it a little, probably around 20% I would say. The exhaust valve is closed all the time

Have you actually tried it practically? Just for clarification, I refer specifically to the F44 and F40 models ONLY. So to repeat - The Engine sound menu DOES also change the exhaust sound by adjusting the valve, as I have just illustrated above. The valve is visible inside the left side pipe, looking into the exhaust, about 5 inches in.

Also, there is now a new coding for the Engine sound menu which adds an additional setting - SPORTY. This setting is highly desirable for many because it keeps the exhaust valve open all the time, whether you're in Sport, Comfort or Eco modes 😉👍
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 06:07 AM   #16
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you read and understand what I am precisely saying? Clearly not if your sentence is "The ASD does not affect exhaust valve actuation" - WHERE did I write that it does???

The Engine Sound menu does TWO things - It increases and reduces the ASD fake sound inside the car depending what setting you choose. It ALSO adjusts the real exhaust sound by controlling the exhaust valve.

There are THREE settings:
1. Depending on driving mode (If Sport driving mode is selected, the exhaust valve is open all the time, also, the ASD will be at its loudest - Because its at its loudest, you won't hear the nice exhaust sound with the valve open, that's why so many people have disabled ASD) (In Comfort mode, the ASD sound is reduced, but quite noticeable. The exhaust valve is closed)
2. Balanced (If sport mode is selected, ASD is similar in sound to comfort mode, but will open above certain revs, not exactly sure how many, probably around 3 or 4000 rpm. If Comfort mode is selected, the ASD is noticeable, not too loud, and the exhaust valve is closed always)
3. Reduced - The ASD is at its quietest, you can still hear it a little, probably around 20% I would say. The exhaust valve is closed all the time

Have you actually tried it practically? Just for clarification, I refer specifically to the F44 and F40 models ONLY. So to repeat - The Engine sound menu DOES also change the exhaust sound by adjusting the valve, as I have just illustrated above. The valve is visible inside the left side pipe, looking into the exhaust, about 5 inches in.

Also, there is now a new coding for the Engine sound menu which adds an additional setting - SPORTY. This setting is highly desirable for many because it keeps the exhaust valve open all the time, whether you're in Sport, Comfort or Eco modes 😉👍
I own a f44 m235. Again ASD and the exhaust valve are 2 completely separate systems and are not correlated at all. Sorry bud just take the L and move along. Driving mode changes, cold start and hard acceleration are the only times the exhaust valve is moved. I've added another attachment for you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #17
Martindk3
Rep
Drives: BMW M235Ix GC

Quote:
I own a f44 m235. Again ASD and the exhaust valve are 2 completely separate systems and are not correlated at all. Sorry bud just take the L and move along. Driving mode changes, cold start and hard acceleration are the only times the exhaust valve is moved. I've added another attachment for you.

Hi BlownLSX,

You seem to know what you are "talking" about here.. Is it possible to unplug the function (leaving it open), at stand-still, and if unplugged, will it trigger an error in the car?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #18
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martindk3 View Post
Quote:

Hi BlownLSX,

You seem to know what you are "talking" about here.. Is it possible to unplug the function (leaving it open), at stand-still, and if unplugged, will it trigger an error in the car?

Thanks.
So the trick is to catch it on a cold start. For the first few seconds the valve should be wide open for catalyst warm up. During that time you can jump under and unplug the valve while it's open. This will have no visible faults. It will be a shadow fault that doesn't alarm the driver. Make sure you tape up and seal both the plug and receptacle on the motor.
Appreciate 1
4sfed43.00
      05-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #19
Martindk3
Rep
Drives: BMW M235Ix GC

Quote:
So the trick is to catch it on a cold start. For the first few seconds the valve should be wide open for catalyst warm up. During that time you can jump under and unplug the valve while it's open. This will have no visible faults. It will be a shadow fault that doesn't alarm the driver. Make sure you tape up and seal both the plug and receptacle on the motor.
Super cool, thanks!

I have played around a bit with it today, I can open and close it via Sport/Comfort, when engine is hot.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #20
CSD979967
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martindk3 View Post
Quote:

Hi BlownLSX,

Thanks.
What this man has said 👆🏻
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #21
FourCarss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Does for me
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #22
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCarss View Post
Quote:
Does for me
Fake news
Appreciate 1