THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Looking to buy an F23 230ix (b46 engine) - need opinions

05-04-2024, 07:03 PM   #1
Andryuha
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M '00 Z3M '11 S212

Looking to buy an F23 230ix (b46 engine) - need opinions

I've owned quite a few older BMWs (the next one being an E90 M3), but I don't have much knowledge on newer platforms. I am looking to pick up an F23 for my dad (he's looking for a vert with back seats for the kids). I came across a 1-owner 230ix at a local used car dealer for $15k and 80k miles. The car looks great and has been maintained (per carfax at least). It drove pretty nice as well, but there are a few aspects that are somewhat concerning. There was some weird rattle at cold start that went away and the exhaust rattles up front when the car is stopped in D. When I scanned the car with my Foxwell scanner
(forgot my ISTA laptop at home), there were some faults. DME, rear module?, A/C overfilled, minor coolant loss and slow takeoff (or something to that effect), convertible top error. I did not feel any issues while driving, the top operated perfectly and AC was working great. My bigger concern is the coolant and take off fault. I could not find any leaks anywhere and the car took off great. Now, my questions:

What am I getting myself into with these faults? (from my research, these engines are pretty robust, but the cooling system is not great).
Is the price right, considering these faults?
Anything else I should consider?
Appreciate 0