F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Porsche Macan S or X3M40i?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #23
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
It's really impressive, it was fantastic actually, I got back in my car and I though, oh.
I had heard that, I just cant come to terms with touch screens in a car...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #24
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
It's really impressive, it was fantastic actually, I got back in my car and I though, oh.
I'll admit it, for me in the RRS touchscreen almost had me off the rod or into the back of someone on the M56 several times.

IDrive is a great blend for now. What could be better?

Touchscreen supported by flawless voice activation? Even then like all is if there are times when I have passengers in the car I don't want to say things aloud.

"Call snuggly bunny'
      05-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #25
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I think if it was me I would buy the Macan
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #26
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'll admit it, for me in the RRS touchscreen almost had me off the rod or into the back of someone on the M56 several times.

IDrive is a great blend for now. What could be better?

Touchscreen supported by flawless voice activation? Even then like all is if there are times when I have passengers in the car I don't want to say things aloud.

"Call snuggly bunny'
I think iDrive is the single best feature of any BMW and is streets ahead of anything else on the market as far as the interface goes. It was almost enough to keep me with the brand.

I did have a problem with ID5 in my 4GC for the last few months of ownership though. Basically an insistence on Bluetooth audio reverting to the first song in the alphabet on restarting the car. This worsened to the point where often a further five or ten attempts to get it to play something else failed. That was dangerous as I was fighting with the car for the right to listen. Even Siri got overridden by the car 50% of the time.

Sorry, that was very off topic. I actually think the Macan is almost more of a rival practicality wise with the 4GC than the X3. I'd have the X3 if I wanted increased practicality and the Porsche for the interior quality and sporty looks. I'd guess the Macan drives better, but I don't know.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17539.50
      05-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #27
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
I use my touch screen more than I thought I would, I really like the ability to scroll the nav map and touch where I want to go rather than having to input the address via the idrive.

The variations of control are quite wide though touch screen/voice control/gesture control/controller input/touch pad

Last edited by Wills2; 05-26-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #28
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
I use my touch screen more than I thought I would, I really like the ability to scroll the nav map and touch where I what to go rather than having to input the address via the idrive.

The variations of control are quite wide though touch screen/voice control/gesture control/controller input/touch pad
Agree the map scroll and zoom via touch is much more intuitive like iPad phone and is a big improvement.

Anyway Wills, 7 series, surely you just ask 'Jeeves' to drive to the destination
      05-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #29
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:
If it's the same as in the new cayenne it's really slick with great resolution and graphics, the bose sounds good as well.

Which tech is poor?
Teaston has probably not picked up on the changes in the FL version...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The biggest thing that would put me off the Macan is the poor technology and infotainment system.
If it's the same as in the new cayenne it's really slick with great resolution and graphics, the bose sounds good as well.

Which tech is poor?
Well I know there's no HUD available on it, something which even the X1 has!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #30
takumichinoku
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

No HUD!! I best ask for a refund

If the argument is over HUD then you are better off with the X1 lol. Would save a lot more that’s for sure! Do miss HUD mind you. On a side note, I think the X1 looks better than the X3

Oh and idrive is definitely the easier one to use. The touchscreen can be a distraction whilst on the move. Then again my hand to eye co-ordination sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #31
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Is HUD that important? I have it and wouldn’t miss it...and it certainly wouldn’t rule out a car because it didn’t have it..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #32
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is HUD that important? I have it and wouldn’t miss it...and it certainly wouldn’t rule out a car because it didn’t have it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by takumichinoku View Post
No HUD!! I best ask for a refund

If the argument is over HUD then you are better off with the X1 lol. Would save a lot more that's for sure! Do miss HUD mind you. On a side note, I think the X1 looks better than the X3
So it's perfectly acceptable to have to look away from the road to see your speed and sat nav directions etc on a £50k+ car? Don't be ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #33
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So it's perfectly acceptable to have to look away from the road to see your speed and sat nav directions etc on a £50k+ car? Don't be ridiculous!
I have mine in the VC - where I have managed with the speedo being for 38 years.... to me it’s a small price to forgo to get the right car...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #34
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have mine in the VC - where I have managed with the speedo being for 38 years.... to me it’s a small price to forgo to get the right car...
People managed with all sorts of things in the past, does that mean it's acceptable now?

When I drive my wife's car without HUD or ACC it just feels like going back to the stone age and I can't wait to get out of it!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #35
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
People managed with all sorts of things in the past, does that mean it's acceptable now?

When I drive my wife's car without HUD or ACC it just feels like going back to the stone age and I can't wait to get out of it!
I had ACC in a Golf GTi too, haven’t specced that since. Maybe you like gadgets and I like cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #36
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I had ACC in a Golf GTi too, haven’t specced that since. Maybe you like gadgets and I like cars?
I like equipment that works, which normal cruise control doesn't, unless you live somewhere that has no other cars on the road!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #37
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

Anyway Wills, 7 series, surely you just ask 'Jeeves' to drive to the destination
It is quite posh in the back as it's got heated electric comfort seats there as well
Attached Images

05-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #38
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
We weren't going to spec it on the 540, and I wondered what all the fuss was about. Had it on second test drive, and was very impressed, so added at the last minute. Probably the best option we chose.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #39
deebee
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a Bimmer :(

Quote:

You must lay awake at night worrying about the majority of drivers who dont have HUDs and ACC who are just a danger to you, amazing the government allows it
Appreciate 1
Wills28662.00
      05-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #40
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I like equipment that works, which normal cruise control doesn't, unless you live somewhere that has no other cars on the road!
I find my eyes, feet and brain do a fine job... I like things that help, but ultimately I look at the whole car and not just one gadget.... I wouldn’t not have a Porsche because it didn’t have a HUD....or ACC. I might not have a BMW because it didn’t have a petrol engine!!

But actually even that, if the car is good enough, it’s about the whole not the individual bits...

Edit to say that I use normal cruise control pretty much every time I go out in the Audi - generally on the M1, or M25. There are normally other cars on those roads...

Last edited by isleaiw1; 05-28-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 4
Wills28662.00
1 AKY459.00
      05-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #41
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
It is quite posh in the back as it's got heated electric comfort seats there as well
That does look quite nice.
Appreciate 2
Wills28662.00
isleaiw18814.00
      05-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #42
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I find my eyes, feet and brain do a fine job... I like things that help, but ultimately I look at the whole car and not just one gadget.... I wouldn’t not have a Porsche because it didn’t have a HUD....or ACC. I might not have a BMW because it didn’t have a petrol engine!!

But actually even that, if the car is good enough, it’s about the whole not the indidual bits...

Edit to say that I use normal cruise control pretty much every time I go out in the Audi - generallyon the M1, or M25. There are normally other cars on those roads...
So how does the cruise control work on those roads? You come up behind a car and it just keeps going! Totally feckin useless!!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18814.00
      05-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #43
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

teaston you make me laugh... no, as I approach I either look and change lanes or I use the speed down facility to slow down, or if appropriate accelerate and get in front. It means I need to stay alert and adjust accordingly.

It keeps me alert to what is happening around me, quite important don’t you think...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #44
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
teaston you make me laugh... no, as I approach I either look and change lanes or I use the speed down facility to slow down, or if appropriate accelerate and get in front. It means I need to stay alert and adjust accordingly.

It keeps me alert to what is happening around me, quite important don't you think...
No, not for me, I do 25k pa so manually accelerating and braking in traffic is something I can really do without!
Appreciate 0