E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Beware of mainland luxury car buyers in HK

03-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Beware of mainland luxury car buyers in HK

This is not strictly related to BMW per se, but with the ever growing number of rich mainlander car buyers in HK, it may happen to BMW HK one of these days:

http://www.discuss.com.hk/viewthread...age%3D1&page=1

For those who can't read Chinese, here's the summary: Apparently this mainlander, who was planning to buy a Porsche Panamera, got all pissed because he discovered he had to pay the newly revised FRT. When the Porsche dealer (owned by Jebsen) refused to change the pricing because of the FRT, the mainlander got furious and threaten the staff stating he will smash the cars in the showroom. He then called his "buddies" into the wanchai showroom for "protests". Apparently a scuffle then broke out, alledgedly someone attack some other guy and the police was then called.

Now I have previously mentioned how much I am against this new FRT, but I really cannot condone these scum rich mainlanders action. If I was the Porsche salesman, I would probably have said: "You can take your money and shove it up your *ss!". Porsche HK dosen't need that kind of customers, they have PLENTY of other sane customers lining up. He thinks just because he has $$$, he can get what he want by violence and threats?! I see more and more these kind of mainland scums in Hong Kong, trying to export their "methods" into the city (I am not condemning all mainlanders...many are civil, cultured and intelligent, but I am slamming just this particular kind who think's he can do whatever he wants just because he got money).

BMW HK better watch out, if this particular mainlander SOB can't get the porsche, he may decide to walk down glocester road to BMW's showroom instead...

Last edited by JohnMan; 03-26-2011 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e92

Dill, mainland sob, I wonder why the sales ppl at Porsche couldn't defuse the situation by saying 'take it or leave it' was he being slightly misleading in anyway?
      03-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
Dill, mainland sob, I wonder why the sales ppl at Porsche couldn't defuse the situation by saying 'take it or leave it' was he being slightly misleading in anyway?

From my own personal experience, many of these rich mainland sobs can't be reasoned with, they have this mentality that "I've got money, so you do as I say, no matter how unreasonable or absurd it is". They think money trumps all, so I don't think a local HK porsche salesman can resolve the problem easily. They don't understand what "rule of law" is or what a "contract" is. This is an example of the way certain rich mainlanders "purchase" their cars:

I wonder if BMW HK can handle this any better, but the customer base for BMWs in HK is generally larger then Porsche (i.e. 1 and 3 series less pricey then a 911, boxster or cayman, more accesible to the car buying public), so BMW don't really need to put up with this kind of abuse.

Can anyone update on the status of this particular posche situation, it would really be bad if porsche gives in and let this mainland moron dictate what he wants, this will only set a bad precedent for future violence by these uncivilized mainlanders.

Last edited by JohnMan; 03-27-2011 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i M-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
From my own personal experience, many of these rich mainland sobs can't be reasoned with, they have this mentality that "I've got money, so you do as I say, no matter how unreasonable or absurd it is". They think money trumps all, so I don't think a local HK porsche salesman can resolve the problem easily. They don't understand what "rule of law" is or what a "contract" is. This is an example of the way certain rich mainlanders "purchase" their cars:

I wonder if BMW HK can handle this any better, but the customer base for BMWs in HK is generally larger then Porsche (i.e. 1 and 3 series less pricey then a 911, boxster or cayman, more accesible to the car buying public), so BMW don't really need to put up with this kind of abuse.

Can anyone update on the status of this particular posche situation, it would really be bad if porsche gives in and let this mainland moron dictate what he wants, this will only set a bad precedent for future violence by these uncivilized mainlanders.
That was crazy. I get the stupid mainland attitude everytime I check into a hotel in Macau - I will be checking in and a stupid mainland will jump the line and try to check in while I am ... and last time the guy tried to do that and then pulled out 100,000 in cash and started counting it in front of me. Come on atleast pull out a million.
335 E92 - M-Tech - Eisenmann Race - Custom DP -RBturbos / Stage2 - GIAC S2 - Injen CAI - Forge FMIC - Forge DV's - Stri Gauges - ATI Pod - AEM Air/Fuel - Ericsson Carbon Trunk - Carbon Splitters - ER Charge Pipe - ER Engine Cover - Koni FSD - HR Sport - Brembo Racing Brakes - ICONZ custom rims - RPI Scoops - Burger O2 Sim
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepergm View Post
That was crazy. I get the stupid mainland attitude everytime I check into a hotel in Macau - I will be checking in and a stupid mainland will jump the line and try to check in while I am ... and last time the guy tried to do that and then pulled out 100,000 in cash and started counting it in front of me. Come on atleast pull out a million.

Yeah, the thing is, this attitude comes from the fact they can act, or think they can act, with impunity. If you are rich, that's great, it helps the automakers to sell more nice cars. But what is NOT alright is this SOB attitude, that piss off and angers people. It reflects a poor or non-existent rule of law, where you can get away from crimes or misdeed if you can "pay up with the right people". Of course, there is a limit to that in China, the corrupted often gets caught, but there are still way too many of those rich scum. The bad thing is that this gives a bad name to other well-off people in China who aren't necessarily poorly behaved. Had those particular scum with poor attitude only impacts on a few people, I would not have cared as much, but such attitude also impacts the reputation of the brand we all love:

http://chinaautoweb.com/2010/09/sadn...ersing-bmw-x6/

"After a series of fatal accidents caused by careless BMW drivers in recent months, the luxury car is getting called in China the perfect murder weapon of the rich and powerful. The latest incident, in which a three-and-a-half-year-old boy was run over several times by a BMW X6, was recorded by a surveillance camera and caused a storm in China’s virtual communities after the footage was posted."

Granted, it's of course the driver, not the car, that is at fault. But the public in China aren't smart enough to make that distinction...

Last edited by JohnMan; 03-28-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0