E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Best source for winter tires?

09-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
punkindrublic
First Bimmer!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328i Coupe

Best source for winter tires?

Hi fellas, what would you recommend for purchasing winter tires? Online? and if so what are some good Canadian websites. I don't know how I feel about duties and taxes etc. when ordering accross borders with sites such as tirerack, discout tire etc. Or is it in my best interest to just go to a local shop like Kal-tire? Any suggestions? The cold weather in Edmonton got me thinking about winter tires early, you know try to beat the rush when the white stuff hits

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

I still think you will save ordering from TireRack vs. any other Canadian vendors (local or online).

However, check out TireTrends.com and 1010tires.com. Both are Canadian based.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
+1

I'll be getting a set of winters through Tirerack.com in the next 4-8 weeks. They've got the best prices + shipping, hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
I still think you will save ordering from TireRack vs. any other Canadian vendors (local or online).

However, check out TireTrends.com and 1010tires.com. Both are Canadian based.
      09-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
SKY888
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Did some checking on winter tire prices today (225/40/18 for the staggered sport package wheels). I couldn't believe the prices on the two models I was considering (Nokian RSi and Michelin PA2's). The Nokian price was received from Kal Tire and the Michelin price was received from Costco. Looks like I might go with Hankook Ice Bear W300's from Tire Trends.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYPWR View Post
Did some checking on winter tire prices today (225/40/18 for the staggered sport package wheels). I couldn't believe the prices on the two models I was considering (Nokian RSi and Michelin PA2's). The Nokian price was received from Kal Tire and the Michelin price was received from Costco. Looks like I might go with Hankook Ice Bear W300's from Tire Trends.
I'd also entertain the thought of getting Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds. They are what I have and I am very happy with them (I bought them from TireRack). They are considered a "performance" winter tire. Namely this means better performance on dry and cold winter roads...while still providing good snow traction.

Most traditional winter tires do not provide very good performance/handling on dry winter roads. "Performance" winter tires will still provide way better snow traction than your typical all season tire yet still provide good handling on dry roads. Most "performance" winter tires have a speed rating of "H" or "V"...namely maximum speed of 210 km/h or 240 km/h. Well above what you would typically be driving at on the streets.

The Michelin PA2s are also considered "performance" winter tires.

The Nokian RSi are a traditional studless snow and ice (winter) tire. Not surprisingly they will likely provide the ultimate snow and ice traction but compromised handling and performance on dry roads. Typically they have a lower speed rating. The RSi's have a "R" speed rating...which means a maximum speed of 170 km/h. I would only get these tires if you intend on driving on snow almost every second day or so during the winter.

I suspect all you will likely need is a "performance" winter tire.

I have heard decent comments about the Hankook W300 Ice Bears. They are also a "performance" winter tire.

Good luck!

Last edited by spacedogg; 09-13-2007 at 01:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
scoop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Here's what I'm going to do:
Drive the car across the border (150 km or so) in about six weeks, buy tires there, have them installed and arrange some sort of winter storage.
Next April, I'll whip down again and do the reverse.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop View Post
Here's what I'm going to do:
Drive the car across the border (150 km or so) in about six weeks, buy tires there, have them installed and arrange some sort of winter storage.
Next April, I'll whip down again and do the reverse.
Sounds like a plan. That will probably save you a little on duty, gst, pst and shipping. However be wary of what they charge for storage...as you will be storing your tires with them all year (winters again with them when you put on your summers, etc). With this plan you will be mounting and demounting your summer tires...which isn't good for the RFT. It may be worthwhile to invest in set of winter rims.

Ehhhwik got his tires mounted at Discount Tires. They seem to offer price matching with TireRack's shipped price. That might be something to look at as well. You may have to call to ensure availability.

An alternative would be to use TireRack and have them directly ship to a reputable installer in the US. They have a section of the website where they list recommended installers.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #8
scoop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. That will probably save you a little on duty, gst, pst and shipping. However be wary of what they charge for storage...as you will be storing your tires with them all year (winters again with them when you put on your summers, etc). With this plan you will be mounting and demounting your summer tires...which isn't good for the RFT. It may be worthwhile to invest in set of winter rims.

Ehhhwik got his tires mounted at Discount Tires. They seem to offer price matching with TireRack's shipped price. That might be something to look at as well. You may have to call to ensure availability.

An alternative would be to use TireRack and have them directly ship to a reputable installer in the US. They have a section of the website where they list recommended installers.
Thanks for the tip.
Another thought: Take a small road trip and just change tires for this winter and next year drive back home sporting a new summer rim/tire package purchased in the U.S., using the stock rims only for winter.
Storage would appear to be the only issue.
The same process could be used for any modifications really.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
punkindrublic
First Bimmer!
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the reply guys. I have 2 sets of wheels. I have a set of 19 inch M6 reps with Kumho tires and the set of 18 inch wheels that come with the sport package. Luckily I have a client that owns a Z4 so I sold him all 4 of my runflat tires earlier this season so I am looking at purchasing 18 inch winter tires to mount and balance on the sport package 18's.

My concern is that after I get a set of tires "cheap" off the internet, it will be the same cost in the end as getting the local shop to mount and balance the tires that I buy from them. As if you buy tires and bring them to a shop to mount, they charge you per wheel vs if you buy it from them, it is usually free with purchase. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublic View Post
Thanks for the reply guys. I have 2 sets of wheels. I have a set of 19 inch M6 reps with Kumho tires and the set of 18 inch wheels that come with the sport package. Luckily I have a client that owns a Z4 so I sold him all 4 of my runflat tires earlier this season so I am looking at purchasing 18 inch winter tires to mount and balance on the sport package 18's.

My concern is that after I get a set of tires "cheap" off the internet, it will be the same cost in the end as getting the local shop to mount and balance the tires that I buy from them. As if you buy tires and bring them to a shop to mount, they charge you per wheel vs if you buy it from them, it is usually free with purchase. Any thoughts?
My personal experience has been that buying from the US and bringing it across will still be cheaper by 20% to 30% or so (even after paying duty, tax and shipping).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
ssitu
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I just purchased 17 inch Dunlop Wintersport M3 runflats and wheels from Tirerack. Came to about $1500 US including shipping. Now I'm just waiting for the damage of duty/taxes/broker fee to come
      09-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #12
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
My personal experience has been that buying from the US and bringing it across will still be cheaper by 20% to 30% or so (even after paying duty, tax and shipping).
+1

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #13
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublic View Post

umm, mount and balance here in TO cost $30. thats all 4 wheels and tires.
      09-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
SKY888
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Looks like I will be going with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's. I am able to purchase them for much less than what tire trends is selling them for. It even works out cheaper than buying them from tirerack as well.

Now I have to find some place to mount and balance the tires. Any recommendations? Kal Tire, etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
fastrack
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 MW e92 M3

Garage List
2021 M2c  [0.00]
The Dunlop are around $700 on tirerack and around $1400 on tiretrends, guess where i'm getting my tires.

Mineral White + HRE + Brembo + Eisenmann + Challenge = Perfection
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #16
doronin
6th Kyu
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Speaking about "traditional" 16" winter tires (I'll need for my wife's car) with not too fancy 16" rims - am I still better with tirerack.com comparing to local retailers?
For some reason I couldn't find too many of non-performance tires on tirerack...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 01:03 AM   #17
punkindrublic
First Bimmer!
Canada
Rep

Well, since our Canadian dollar is doing so well, I purchased a set of 18 inch Blizzaks for the winter. Got a really good price on them from tirerack. $810 American shipped to my door. Apparently we can expect up to 6% duties. Went with the same width for all 4 tires instead of a staggered setup. I guess it's better to run tires that are not as wide anyways for the winter. This is a pretty good deal as Kal Tire Southside quoted me $436 per rear tire for Blizzaks in Edmonton!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 02:25 AM   #18
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

yap since the dollar is strong, im taking adventage as well ordering from tirerack, got 235/40/18 dunlop snow 3ds... i wonder how much will all the duties will be
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 04:37 AM   #19
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01 View Post
yap since the dollar is strong, im taking adventage as well ordering from tirerack, got 235/40/18 dunlop snow 3ds... i wonder how much will all the duties will be
they say on their website that UPS will ask for payment of duties before your shipment is sent. my order comes up to $775 for 4 Dunlop M3 winter tires, but since I don't know what customs will cost I haven't placed the order yet.
      09-22-2007, 07:15 AM   #20
Prodigy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKids View Post
they say on their website that UPS will ask for payment of duties before your shipment is sent. my order comes up to $775 for 4 Dunlop M3 winter tires, but since I don't know what customs will cost I haven't placed the order yet.
Even with tax/duties you will come out way ahead then any candian dealer pricing!
      09-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #21
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

I just ordered from TireRack four 225/45HR-17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST RunFlats mounted and balanced on 17x8 Rial Salerno Silver wheels. The total bills comes to $1,511.15 including shipping by UPS and 20 free lug bolts (not sure why I need them, will find out).

I will soon find out how much I have to pay for brokerage and duty (the wheels are made in Europe, not sure which country).

I used the same type of winter tires on ASA JH3's on my 530Xi and I am happy with them.

P.S. I placed my order online just last night and they called me first thing this morning at 9AM to verify all the fitment information, and said they will ship rightaway. I am quite impressed with the service.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels

Last edited by halB; 09-22-2007 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
Maxtor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi sedan

I got a quote from Tirewerkes for the same Dunlop/Rial package for a few hundred dollars more installed. Seems worthwhile to pay a bit more but work with a local company in case there are any problems.

Also got a similar quote from Steelcase with same tires but a knock-off M5 wheel in gunmetal gray. Does anyone have experience with this type of wheel being used for a winter rim?
Appreciate 0