BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

02-18-2022, 12:22 AM   #1
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

2022 228i X drive, lower plastic sills/Aweful Paint matching

Hey everybody, on my 2022 228i gran coupe the lower rocker sills almost look like a different color relative to the rest of the skyscraper gray metallic paint.

My car has never been in an accident, and both sides look identical. I took it to my body shop and they said that of course metal and plastic absorb paint differently which of course I knew. But there is such a drastic difference in the color it’s very evident especially in the sun.

It’s like when you see a new chip on your car and you can’t unsee it, I stare at it every time I walk up to my car, does anyone else have this issue on their cars? My buddy at a high-end body shop said that especially with metallic paint it is difficult to match. However I have seen civics and Corolla‘s that look better than this.

That being said compared to my buddies brand new model S plaid and the horrible paint irregularities mine looks great haha
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 07:25 AM   #2
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

Yes normal, many vehicles with plastic body parts have this 'feature' https://www.focusrsoc.com/threads/ba...ssue-ug.26379/
      02-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #3
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I understand why the paint can be mismatched, different parts of the plant or different factory, different material underneath. Granted those are Fords, and I would expect more from BMW. I have noticed it on other cars, but never as dramatic as mine. Hell even my jaguars which were black metallic looked perfect when inspecting closely. I mentioned it to my sales advisor, however as stated in the forum link you sent me is a slippery line and it might look worse….����*♂️��*♂️

And I didn’t pursue it further requesting them to paint match after I bought the car. Perhaps I’ll just have to get some M sport sills and take it to a reputable body shop and see how they do lol
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 05:40 AM   #4
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

https://newoldcars.com/why-are-bumpe...st-of-the-car/
      02-20-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep

That is a great article thank you, ironically one of the pictures featured there is of a Chevrolet Volt. I used to have a beautiful 2012 Chevrolet volt in silver and the rear bumper which is huge on those cars was just a bit off, I bought the car at seven years old and I assumed that the bumper was repainted. But now I know. I guess perhaps the reason I am going over everything with a fine tooth comb is because it’s the first brand new car I’ve bought since like 2008 lol thank you
Appreciate 0