F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Updating ECU's with Esys
proTUNING Freaks

07-22-2020, 04:14 AM   #1
womey31269
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

Updating ECU's with Esys

Hi guys, I'm a bit lost and I hope someone can help me,

So I decided to update the EGS hopefully the gearbox would run smoother, I had a ENET cable and used Esys 3.30 + Launcher PRO Tokenmaster + Psdzdata full 4.23
Followed a simple guide made by Shawn and other guys but I ran in some problems (I think?).

At the KIS/SVT Target step, I selected my shipment I-Step and for I-Step target I've selected the newest version as you can see in this photo

Followed next steps and I selected EGS and ZGW to update because as I saw, ZGW is a pre-requisite for EGS BUT when I pressed START, it showed me the next screen

Idiot me, I've seen that the last I-Step was same as I-Step shipment but I still flashed like that. Flash went ok without errors and I used ISTA+ to delete all fault codes.

But of course, I realized that actually I didn't update the ECU, I just flashed the same version and then decided to re-do all steps but every time on the last step the I-Step last is the same as I-Step shipment, doesn't show a newer one, still shows this

and now EGS and ZGW is greyed out like you see here

and it doesn't even show EGS and ZGW on the last step as you can see here

Sorry for the big text but I don't know how to explain better (bad English), I hope someone can help me.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by womey31269; 07-22-2020 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:00 AM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

The EGS and ZGW is now greyed out because both ecus were updated and no newer software is available.
If you don‘t like the window with the VCM Update you can also remove the hook for the „VCM Update“ in the settings.
For updating the ecus you don‘t need a Launcher.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:44 AM   #3
womey31269
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
The EGS and ZGW is now greyed out because both ecus were updated and no newer software is available.
If you don‘t like the window with the VCM Update you can also remove the hook for the „VCM Update“ in the settings.
For updating the ecus you don‘t need a Launcher.
But updated how? because as you see in the image when flashing was still showing my i-step level, and now as i’m seeing in ista+ and esys is that i have the same i-step as before 14-11-502 (shipment one), nothing changed.

I saw a youtube video that was updating EGS and before flashing it shows him the newer version of i-step, but for me on last/current/shipment shows the same version.

Also, i think that is the same version because the gearbox works as before or i could say a bit worse.

Thank you!

edit: you can see on this video
at 10:05 that on current/last shows the newer version, but on mine shows the same version as shipment.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

First i see it on your CAFD of the EGS that it is a new one.
I just made a calculation with psdzdata Full from 03/2020 and E-Sys would give me the same CAFD as yours after the flash.
So your EGS definitely have got the update.

When you update only 1 or 2 ecus you don't see a new I-Level in ISTA because the other ecus have still the old I-Level.
I think when you update the FEM_Body or FEM_GW you will see the new I-Level in ISTA because the VCM (where the I-Level is stored) is a part of the ZGW and the ZGW is included in the FEM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
fe7565556.50
      07-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
womey31269
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
First i see it on your CAFD of the EGS that it is a new one.
I just made a calculation with psdzdata Full from 03/2020 and E-Sys would give me the same CAFD as yours after the flash.
So your EGS definitely have got the update.

When you update only 1 or 2 ecus you don't see a new I-Level in ISTA because the other ecus have still the old I-Level.
I think when you update the FEM_Body or FEM_GW you will see the new I-Level in ISTA because the VCM (where the I-Level is stored) is a part of the ZGW and the ZGW is included in the FEM.
Oh that makes sense, but still can’t understand why it doesn’t show me at the last step before flashing the new version as in that video at 10:05. But at least I see that I have the same version as you’re newer one so it could be updated as you said, expected much smoother behaviour of the gearbox but feels as before or a bit worse.

One more thing, do you know why I don’t have DDE in that list? It shows only DME.

Thank you very much for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by womey31269 View Post
Oh that makes sense, but still can’t understand why it doesn’t show me at the last step before flashing the new version as in that video at 10:05. But at least I see that I have the same version as you’re newer one so it could be updated as you said, expected much smoother behaviour of the gearbox but feels as before or a bit worse.

One more thing, do you know why I don’t have DDE in that list? It shows only DME.

Thank you very much for your help!
The guy in the video has got an update earlier before.
His i-step (Shipment) 16-03-504 is when the car leaves the factory in 2016.
Then in 2018 his car has got an update to 18-03-532 (i-step current).
The i-step last is the i-step before 18-03-532.
In the video he's doing the update to 18-07-549.

But your car has never got an update.
It was built in the end of 2014 and has the 14-11-502.
So your car has still the i-step shipment (from factory) and that's also the i-step current/actual.

And good question with the DME/DDE, I've never noticed that before.
But it looks the same for me, including DME even though I have a diesel.

For the gearbox you can try to reset the adaptation values with ISTA.
Maybe then you will feel a change.
Appreciate 1
fe7565556.50
      07-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
womey31269
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The guy in the video has got an update earlier before.
His i-step (Shipment) 16-03-504 is when the car leaves the factory in 2016.
Then in 2018 his car has got an update to 18-03-532 (i-step current).
The i-step last is the i-step before 18-03-532.
In the video he's doing the update to 18-07-549.

But your car has never got an update.
It was built in the end of 2014 and has the 14-11-502.
So your car has still the i-step shipment (from factory) and that's also the i-step current/actual.

And good question with the DME/DDE, I've never noticed that before.
But it looks the same for me, including DME even though I have a diesel.

For the gearbox you can try to reset the adaptation values with ISTA.
Maybe then you will feel a change.

Yes but he’s i-step last is 2018, but for me everytime i re-do all steps shows i-step last 14-11-502 wich is my i-step shipment, so for me doesn’t show any new update like is showing to him.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Yes but he’s i-step last is 2018, but for me everytime i re-do all steps shows i-step last 14-11-502 wich is my i-step shipment, so for me doesn’t show any new update like is showing to him.
He is doing a complete update of all ecus.
And if the FEM_GW will be updated the I-step will also be updated.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
womey31269
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
He is doing a complete update of all ecus.
And if the FEM_GW will be updated the I-step will also be updated.
Well, it means I updated it successfully. A bit disappointed that nothing changed. Do you know if the 8HP can be re-calibrated? I know you can do this on DSG gearbox and on ZF 6HP I think because I saw this option in ISTA+ but on older gearboxes but it seems that I don't have that option.

I this video
at 1:27 it shows a "Mechatronic calibration" wich doesn't show for me but maybe because he's gearbox is the 6speed one.

Thank you for all your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #10
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Well, it means I updated it successfully. A bit disappointed that nothing changed. Do you know if the 8HP can be re-calibrated? I know you can do this on DSG gearbox and on ZF 6HP I think because I saw this option in ISTA+ but on older gearboxes but it seems that I don't have that option.

I this video at 1:27 it shows a "Mechatronic calibration" wich doesn't show for me but maybe because he's gearbox is the 6speed one.

Thank you for all your help!
I don't know.
I just checked 2 different versions on my computer and in both versions are different service functions.
A calibration i found only for the transfer box.
As i said, i would recommend to reset the adaption of the gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #11
womey31269
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I don't know.
I just checked 2 different versions on my computer and in both versions are different service functions.
A calibration i found only for the transfer box.
As i said, i would recommend to reset the adaption of the gearbox.
I will try reseting the adaptations but i think i reseted it like 1 month ago, i hope it will change something this time.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0