BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

10-13-2023, 06:20 AM   #1
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

F1 2023: US GP - Austin (Oct 22)

F1 2023: US GP - Austin (Oct 22)

Schedule:
https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2...ed_States.html

Circuit of The Americas (COTA)

Quote:
Austin
When was the track built?

The Circuit of The Americas, designed by Hermann Tilke in collaboration with American architectural firm HKS, endured something of a nervy start, with construction suffering several setbacks. It was well worth the wait, though, when 1978 F1 champion Mario andretti opened the track on October 21 2012.
When was its first Grand Prix?

F1 first raced at the Circuit of The Americas in 2012, for the first United States Grand Prix since the 2007 race at Indianapolis. Unsurprisingly, over 100,000 spectators packed out the Austin venue, witnessing Lewis Hamilton’s last ever win in a McLaren before his switch to Mercedes for 2013.
What’s the circuit like?

If the corners at COTA seem familiar, they should be. Turns 3 through 6 look not dissimilar to Silverstone's high-speed run through Maggotts/Becketts or the S Curves at Suzuka, while Turns 12 through 15 mimic Hockenheim's stadium section. Meanwhile, the uphill run into wide, wide Turn 1 – hey, everything’s bigger in Texas, right? – has provided some fine overtaking action in the track’s short life.
Why go?

There’s a reason Austin is often regarded as America’s coolest city, with great food and a vibrant nightlife, all united under the banner of the city’s unofficial slogan: ‘Keep Austin Weird’. Then when racing starts, you’ll be in attendance at one of the great modern race tracks. With the Americans’ attitude to partying, you won’t want to miss out!
Where is the best place to watch?

You’re spoilt for choice. If you sit in the main grandstand on the start-finish straight you’ll get – in true US style – the benefit of an in-seat food and drinks service, while those in the stand at Turn 1 enjoy a view all the way to downtown Austin. But if you want to see the racing action up close, find a way into the the Stadium Section stands at Turns 15/16.
2022 race highlights:

I think at 6:18 that's Tim Cook (Apple CEO) with a very very weak checkered flag waving....
Worst one in history if you ask me.... Never liked the guy anyway...

2022 thread:
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1961543
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-13-2023 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 5
M5Rick60075.00
dfox618.00
      10-13-2023, 06:21 AM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

So what's your prediction?

I like this track, some crazy hairpins, one at the end of the straight which at the start of the race is always a risk of divebombing drivers...., swooping Senna S'ses, a bit of altitude difference

I think this track will suit the RB's most, so it'll also suit the McLarens.

My prediction:
1. VER
2. NOR
3. PIA
4. PER
5. HAM
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60075.00
dfox618.00
      10-13-2023, 06:41 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I'm sticking my neck out that Checo will do well here knowing that RB is behind him and slightly prodding which he should expect with past race fails.
1. VER
2. PER
3. NOR
4.PIA
5.RUS
6. ALO
Appreciate 4
GuidoK10856.50
dfox618.00
      10-13-2023, 06:49 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep

Hopefully GuidoK the organisers can find someone else with stronger arms to wave the chequered flag more meaningfully at the finish.
Gone are the days when a trackside person waved the flag where the drivers could see it easily.
Appreciate 2
GuidoK10856.50
      10-13-2023, 07:09 AM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Hopefully GuidoK the organisers can find someone else with stronger arms to wave the chequered flag more meaningfully at the finish.
I don't know if it's a matter of having strong arms. Serena Williams also wasn't great in Monaco (I think 2021) and she has massive arms. She's like a female Mike Tyson...

I don't really get why they try to find random celebrities for that.
Getting random celebrities for that, just like on the pit walk...most of them are an utter disappointment and have nothing with motorsports and are only there for the publicity.
What I'd like to see is that for example former F1 world champions (or GP winners or former F1 drivers in general) do that job. People with some importance to and a heart for motorsports.

Tim Cook stands there like he's a 90 year old man. But he's 62 there.

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-13-2023 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60075.00
R BMW948.00
      10-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
OG Shark
Rep
Drives: Angry

Weather forecast looking pretty decent - albeit a long ways out still. But does look like we will be spared the heat that set in pretty hard this year and so far doesn't look like rain should be much a factor.

Curious to see if there is the same interest/attendance level as the last couple of years. Still expect the traffic situation to be a disaster as there is not much they can do to alleviate that clusterf*ck of a problem. Getting the wheel scythes and grill guard ready to go on the truck to make our clean get away Sunday after the race... Should be a couple of good concerts on Fri & Sat night - The Killers on Friday and Queen on Saturday. Don't know much about the guy that is singing for Queen but heard he does about a good job as anyone can trying to fill Freddy Mercury's shoes.

Knowing the way it has gone in the past I wouldn't expect a strong checkered flag waving... not sure that matters much though... Do expect another interesting rendition of our national anthem too. Maybe one day we will hear it at the end of a race again but that's a different conversation. Hopefully Martin Brundle works his magic on the grid walk again this year with one of the "finest" we as a country have to offer...

I wasn't a fan of the sprint races when they first started but they have slowly won me over. Actually looking forward to that being integrated into the weekend this year. Have always enjoyed the first 2 days out there but feel like it might add a little energy being out there those days.

1. VER (angered by the small (relative) margin of victory in Qatar & laps the entire field while setting the top 20 fastest laps of the day)
2 - 20. I mean who really cares at this point but...

2. PER (if the weather is good and he doesn't decide to run the Nascar line)(if not reserve right to switch this to P16)
3. NOR (told Zac Brown he's jetting for RBR if they let PIA beat him again)
4. HAM (unless he gets within 3 cars of RUS and then likely a DNF)
5. PIA (strange power decrease with 5 laps to go...)
6. SAI (fully rested and ready to go)
7. LEC (mailed it in the rest of the season - just wants the pain to be over)
8. ALO (decides to take over full strategy decisions half way through the race and rescues P8 from what surely would have been P9...)
9. RUS (is slowed down by the bumpers he had to add to the car to defend off HAM)
10. GAS (after a lot of ugly racing with OCO we are finally treated to the epic post race slap fest we have all been waiting for)
11. LAW (poisons RICs food night before and sneaks back into the seat)
12. ALB (Is in the points the first half of the race until he remembers he is indeed in a Williams car and should not be that high)
13. OCO (goes full clown again trying to run away from GAS after the race)
14. BOT (he's still in F1?)
15. HUL (epic finish for Haas... so proud we are)
16. ZHO (I got nothing here)
17. SAR (in an epic moral victory finishes the race)
18. MAG (also does us US fans proud not finishing P20)
19. TSU (gets taken out at the start and proceeds to fire off one of the most obscene yet nonsensical rants of all time)
20. STR (DNS - gets grounded by Papa Stroll when he throws another fit after again getting knocked out in Q3)

Pretty sure this is exactly how it is going to go down...
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60075.00
GuidoK10856.50
Roman772.50
      10-13-2023, 10:40 AM   #7
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

1 ver
2 nor
3 per
4 rus
5 pia
6 lec
7 ham
8 alo
9 sai
10 alb
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60075.00
GuidoK10856.50
      10-13-2023, 10:49 AM   #8
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Weather forecast looking pretty decent - albeit a long ways out still. But does look like we will be spared the heat that set in pretty hard this year and so far doesn't look like rain should be much a factor.

Curious to see if there is the same interest/attendance level as the last couple of years. Still expect the traffic situation to be a disaster as there is not much they can do to alleviate that clusterf*ck of a problem. Getting the wheel scythes and grill guard ready to go on the truck to make our clean get away Sunday after the race... Should be a couple of good concerts on Fri & Sat night - The Killers on Friday and Queen on Saturday. Don't know much about the guy that is singing for Queen but heard he does about a good job as anyone can trying to fill Freddy Mercury's shoes.

Knowing the way it has gone in the past I wouldn't expect a strong checkered flag waving... not sure that matters much though... Do expect another interesting rendition of our national anthem too. Maybe one day we will hear it at the end of a race again but that's a different conversation. Hopefully Martin Brundle works his magic on the grid walk again this year with one of the "finest" we as a country have to offer...

I wasn't a fan of the sprint races when they first started but they have slowly won me over. Actually looking forward to that being integrated into the weekend this year. Have always enjoyed the first 2 days out there but feel like it might add a little energy being out there those days.

1. VER (angered by the small (relative) margin of victory in Qatar & laps the entire field while setting the top 20 fastest laps of the day)
2 - 20. I mean who really cares at this point but...

2. PER (if the weather is good and he doesn't decide to run the Nascar line)(if not reserve right to switch this to P16)
3. NOR (told Zac Brown he's jetting for RBR if they let PIA beat him again)
4. HAM (unless he gets within 3 cars of RUS and then likely a DNF)
5. PIA (strange power decrease with 5 laps to go...)
6. SAI (fully rested and ready to go)
7. LEC (mailed it in the rest of the season - just wants the pain to be over)
8. ALO (decides to take over full strategy decisions half way through the race and rescues P8 from what surely would have been P9...)
9. RUS (is slowed down by the bumpers he had to add to the car to defend off HAM)
10. GAS (after a lot of ugly racing with OCO we are finally treated to the epic post race slap fest we have all been waiting for)
11. LAW (poisons RICs food night before and sneaks back into the seat)
12. ALB (Is in the points the first half of the race until he remembers he is indeed in a Williams car and should not be that high)
13. OCO (goes full clown again trying to run away from GAS after the race)
14. BOT (he's still in F1?)
15. HUL (epic finish for Haas... so proud we are)
16. ZHO (I got nothing here)
17. SAR (in an epic moral victory finishes the race)
18. MAG (also does us US fans proud not finishing P20)
19. TSU (gets taken out at the start and proceeds to fire off one of the most obscene yet nonsensical rants of all time)
20. STR (DNS - gets grounded by Papa Stroll when he throws another fit after again getting knocked out in Q3)

Pretty sure this is exactly how it is going to go down...
All is as normal then
Appreciate 2
GuidoK10856.50
      10-13-2023, 11:01 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I don't know if it's a matter of having strong arms. Serena Williams also wasn't great in Monaco (I think 2021) and she has massive arms. She's like a female Mike Tyson...

I don't really get why they try to find random celebrities for that.
Getting random celebrities for that, just like on the pit walk...most of them are an utter disappointment and have nothing with motorsports and are only there for the publicity.
What I'd like to see is that for example former F1 world champions (or GP winners or former F1 drivers in general) do that job. People with some importance to and a heart for motorsports.

Tim Cook stands there like he's a 90 year old man. But he's 62 there.
They may have strong arms (Serena Williams) and some like the Apple guy look as if they can't lift a tea cup. It just goes to show that the organisers say ''oh wave this flag when we say' not showing them how they should wave it...Dominaceli showing the Italian way
Appreciate 2
GuidoK10856.50
      10-14-2023, 02:56 AM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep

Looks like Lawsons stint at AT is over as Ricciardo returns to take the reins of car 3 again all being well with his hand.
https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...d-prix-return/
Appreciate 2
GuidoK10856.50
      10-14-2023, 07:26 AM   #11
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Looks like Lawsons stint at AT is over as Ricciardo returns to take the reins of car 3 again all being well with his hand.
https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...d-prix-return/

Time for more young guns IMHO
Appreciate 4
GuidoK10856.50
Roman772.50
M5Rick60075.00
      10-14-2023, 08:40 AM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
I'm sticking my neck out that Checo will do well here knowing that RB is behind him and slightly prodding which he should expect with past race fails.
1. VER
2. PER
3. NOR
4.PIA
5.RUS
6. ALO
LMFAO !!!

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
GuidoK10856.50
M5Rick60075.00
      10-14-2023, 11:33 AM   #13
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Why do I keep seeing click bait on YouTube about Stroll selling AM

Anybody else heard that?
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60075.00
GuidoK10856.50
      10-14-2023, 12:07 PM   #14
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Why do I keep seeing click bait on YouTube about Stroll selling AM

Anybody else heard that?
All because Lance is wanting out of F1 and losing his temper? Can't be.

Last edited by M5Rick; 10-14-2023 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-14-2023, 12:12 PM   #15
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
LMFAO !!!

Brilliant move by hammy, put forward as the Driver of the Race
Appreciate 3
      10-14-2023, 02:16 PM   #16
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Latest news from the most gossipy F1 channel is that Marko's position at RB is under attack...
But gossips raging in a weekend without a race is business as usual

However he's 80, he has to retire at some point.
Appreciate 4
      10-14-2023, 04:25 PM   #17
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, VW GTI 3.6, Infiniti G25x

Mercs coming out with upgrades i hear. this will be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 03:38 AM   #18
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthchirpin View Post
Mercs coming out with upgrades i hear. this will be interesting.
I wonder how MERC does all that budgetcapwise and windtunnel/cfd time wise.

I mean every other race they seem to have a different wing or floor and already had a major redesign leaving the zeropod design.

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-15-2023 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60075.00
      10-15-2023, 07:46 AM   #19
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I wonder how MERC does all that budgetcapwise and windtunnel/cfd time wise.

I mean every other race they seem to have a different wing or floor and already had a major redesign leaving the zeropod design.
Mercedes saved a lot of money without the sidepods , the zero sidepod design was cheaper to run with...

#TheMercedes5H1TBoxDesignWasCheaperToBuild !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60075.00
GuidoK10856.50
      10-15-2023, 08:43 AM   #20
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Mercedes saved a lot of money without the sidepods , the zero sidepod design was cheaper to run with...

#TheMercedes5H1TBoxDesignWasCheaperToBuild !
They tried to copy the Barnes Wallis design from a barrel and instead got a kangoo' bounce
Appreciate 2
GuidoK10856.50
      10-15-2023, 01:54 PM   #21
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
RBR gets called out for their classless post on "X"... they've never been a "good family" for #2's.

https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/...ying-fans-lm22
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 05:01 PM   #22
Fillip
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M3 (F80)

The one thing I am really looking forward to is the return of Daniel Ricciardo. Hopefully, he performs well on his comeback race.
Appreciate 6
M5Rick60075.00
GuidoK10856.50