E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metal construction boards

02-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
davidelectricred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I sedan

Metal construction boards

Driving down the road, I see the metal board in front of me. I live in a nice area and the road is nice and smooth and flat. So I slow down a little and think nothing off it. I go over them all the time without a problem. Well this time I went over it and I so surprised that I didn't bend both of my front wheels or a least pop the tires. It sounded horrible.

Now my complaint is that there is no posted signs saying construction zone slow down. It would be really dangerous if someone had a blow out on the road.

Now if something is wrong with my car I think it's fair that the city or county I live in should pay for all or part of my repairs. Am I unfair for wanting something like that?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

If you get a blow out from an obstacle the county/town etc placed in the road, you are often eligible to some form of reimbursement, although I'm sure it will be "easy" to get. In general, it's wise to slow way down, if you have to drive over a huge piece of iron in the middle of the road. Common sense.
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
davidelectricred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
If you get a blow out from an obstacle the county/town etc placed in the road, you are often eligible to some form of reimbursement, although I'm sure it will be "easy" to get. In general, it's wise to slow way down, if you have to drive over a huge piece of iron in the middle of the road. Common sense.
Hopefully my car is fine and I won't need to do any of that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
CWS335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 (Ordered)

Maybe they should pay, but the chances of that are slim to none.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
doubleIN
atlien
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidelectricred View Post
Driving down the road, I see the metal board in front of me. I live in a nice area and the road is nice and smooth and flat. So I slow down a little and think nothing off it. I go over them all the time without a problem. Well this time I went over it and I so surprised that I didn't bend both of my front wheels or a least pop the tires. It sounded horrible.

Now my complaint is that there is no posted signs saying construction zone slow down. It would be really dangerous if someone had a blow out on the road.

Now if something is wrong with my car I think it's fair that the city or county I live in should pay for all or part of my repairs. Am I unfair for wanting something like that?
lol when i read the thread title I was thinking "this guy must live in atlanta". I always slow down drastically when I'm about to drive over those metal plates. In the past 3 years I've had to replace one of my rear struts and had 3 flat tires due to potholes around here
      02-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Take them at an angle. ...that is if there is room to do so.

I live in PA, and the roads here SUCK. they were doing construction on a local bridge and one of the metal expansion joint plates popped up and ripped up like 10+ cars under carraige- holes in oil pans, damaged bumpers and wheels, etc..

Needless to say the construction company had to fork out over $15-20 grand to fix everyone's cars if I remember the article correctly.

IF there is damage, report it RIGHT AWAY. call a cop and have himn do a police report, ANYTHING to show a record of the incident.