E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Auto Start/Stop strange behaviour

02-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Auto Start/Stop strange behaviour

I left an appointment yesterday & after driving a couple of miles pulled in to check an address and as usual the engine stopped automatically. I left the engine off while I was messing about with paperwork etc and then, after about 5 minutes, the engine started up again . I hadn't touched anything and can only guess it was because the engine had cooled (Auto Stop/Start doesn't function when the engine is cold) As this has happened a couple of times before I'm guessing it's normal behaviour but it's still a bit unnerving, has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Battery condition is the most likely explanation. I do a lot of short journeys and the stop/start wasn't working even with the temperature high enough but after a 10 mile trip into town and straight back again, it was working just fine.

If the battery has been a bit on the low side, I have found that the car will re-start after about half a minute - especially so if it's at night and heating, headlights etc., are on.

But if you do 10 miles plus (in one trip), on a daily basis, you shouldn't expect any problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
dobsy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Mine re starts itself sometimes after a minute or so at the lights when tootling round-I would'nt worry, as said it's the battery sorting itself out.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I'd done a 20 miles journey, stopped for 25 minutes and then did another 2 miles before stopping the second time - it was a few minutes after the 2nd stop that it did the Auto Start so I wouldn't have thought it would be battery but you never know - it's still very disconcerting
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

It shouldn't be too disconcerting as it will only do it when you are in neutral, but it did surprise me the first time my van did it.

All sorts of thing could cause this.

If the climate can't maintain the set temp it will restart, or as said if the battery drops a little.

Also if the brake vacuum drops (as it may do after a few minutes) it will restart too.

Try pressing the brake pedal a few times when its stopped and it will immediately re-start as the vacuum is used up.
Appreciate 0