BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
pnasca
Rep
Drives: 135i

135i convertible in snow

Hey guys,

I know not many people drive their convertible in the snow. But if you had to and leave the car outside would it be a disaster? I am in the process of moving and would have to have my car outside but want to see the side effects of this. I read online somewhere else that it wasn't a problem at all, but wanted some enthusiasts advice. Please let me know what would happen.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

I would imagine the biggest disaster would be if you left the roof in the down position, a snow shovel would really mess up the upholstery
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
Fantastipotamus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Vert DCT

I drive my 135i convertible in the snow, and it stays outside all winter too here in NH. The top holds up fine, I just use a brush to clean the top after each storm. Generally, I try to clean it fairly soon after a storm so the top doesn't have to support all the weight of the snow for too long.

You could just pick up a car cover too, which would keep the paint safe while you're clearing it off, but it's a bit more of a pain in the ass to get going and parking, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
pnasca
Rep
Drives: 135i

bumppp

Guys I am really considering buying a convertible and driving it year round without a garage. Please let me know what I should do to take care of it. I have read about raggtop and 303 to apply which I am going to do. Besides that what other things should I consider? What kind of brush should be used to get the snow off, so I do not snag the fibers on the top? Do I need a car cover?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnasca View Post
bumppp

Guys I am really considering buying a convertible and driving it year round without a garage. Please let me know what I should do to take care of it. I have read about raggtop and 303 to apply which I am going to do. Besides that what other things should I consider? What kind of brush should be used to get the snow off, so I do not snag the fibers on the top? Do I need a car cover?
I don't drive a vert 1er, but my past experience with a soft top convertible in winter weather wasn't that long ago.
Applying treatment will help "seal" the textile, but it won't prevent ice from forming on it(this ultimately depends on your region's weather). Also, the material is a lot more durable that you might expect in regards to concerns of snagging fibers. Any decent snow brush should be gentle enough to handle the task and give you peace of mind about damages.
Just don't go beating on it to try coercing ice to break or snow to fall, because that's where you run the risk of breaking seams, distorting the mechanical frame, and unsealing windows.

Go for it!

I should mention(noticing your location) that I was in a MkI Audi TT and in the Cleveland area for my experience. As heavily as those roads get salted, make sure you've got a good coat of wax on and that you rinse your car as frequently as possible.