BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

03-13-2024, 04:17 AM   #1
NVTIVE1
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series - F40 MSport

Help!! Boot water ingress :/

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and seeking some advice and knowledge

I noticed a few weeks ago that the bottom boot liner had mould on it, once I lifted it I noticed that it was absolutely soaked.

The garage did a water test and it turned out that my fuel filler housing was cracked and water was coming in. So they said. I had a new original part ordered from BMW.

BMW have said that there is no pipe that attaches to the back of the drain hole on the fuel filler housing and instead the water runs down on the wheel arch liner?

I am still getting a little water in, mainly collecting around those 2 circle electric bungs at the bottom of the boot?

My car is parked on a slight slope (front facing down) and the back of the boot liner seems damp which suggests it's possibly coming in from the bumber or seal then travelling down with gravity to the lowest point and collecting (which is around those bungs)

Im literally out of ideas with how it's getting in. I try and clean it but it smells damp and foisty.

I have attached some photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 08:10 AM   #2
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTIVE1 View Post
Hi folks,

My car is parked on a slight slope (front facing down) and the back of the boot liner seems damp which suggests it's possibly coming in from the bumber or seal then travelling down with gravity to the lowest point and collecting (which is around those bungs)
Have a good look around the whole area of the hatch. There are several possible areas that might be a problem. Try putting some towels in likely spots to see if they get wet.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 08:37 AM   #3
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTIVE1 View Post
I did try this but it's hard to determine.
In case you misunderstood, I meant the door, not the whole boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:06 AM   #4
NVTIVE1
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjn View Post
In case you misunderstood, I meant the door, not the whole boot.
I've tried this with no joy :/
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:08 AM   #5
NVTIVE1
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

What is the white residue and how do I get rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 09:08 AM   #6
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Water leaks like this on hatchbacks usually comes from leaky seals around the rear lights. Sometimes it you kneel on the back seat in the car facing the boot and get someone to use a hosepipe to run a steady stream of water down the rear quarter from above for a while you will see the water start to seep down and you can trace it back. You may have to remove trim panels in the boot to see properly.
Appreciate 0