E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 57 plate Ipod help

03-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
sandford6016
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 420D M Sport

57 plate Ipod help

Hi,

I've been trawling the forum and ebay and I can't get a definitive answer!

I have a 57 plate 318D M Sport with the professional radio, no cd changer unit, and only the aux in connector in the centre console, no usb.

Is there anyway, without spending hundreds, I can connect my ipod up so I can charge it and use the steering wheel controls to change tracks? I've seen things on ebay, but the majority of them are not compatible with the 3 series e90 after 2003?!?!?

Anyone?! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Animalfreeride
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandford6016 View Post
Hi,

I've been trawling the forum and ebay and I can't get a definitive answer!

I have a 57 plate 318D M Sport with the professional radio, no cd changer unit, and only the aux in connector in the centre console, no usb.

Is there anyway, without spending hundreds, I can connect my ipod up so I can charge it and use the steering wheel controls to change tracks? I've seen things on ebay, but the majority of them are not compatible with the 3 series e90 after 2003?!?!?

Anyone?! Cheers!
Sandford I too spent many hours researching this & have received lots of mixed responses. However my understanding is this.

If you want to be able to control the tracks from the steering wheel etc you will need either the USB (aka 6FL) which is an expensive retrofit option of approx £900 or alternatively, the glovebox interface, which will set you back approx £400.

In both of the above options, if you have a 4th generation ipod/iphone, you will almost certainly have a charging issue as Apple in their wisdom, decided to alter the charging pins.

Some people claim the purchasing of a Scosche adaptor can resolve this but there have been mixed reports of this being successful. http://www.scoschedirect.co.uk/?gcli...FQ4yQgodrh8maA

Personally, I have asked BMW to fit the glovebox option & will buy an older generation ipod if I have to.
Appreciate 0