BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

07-10-2021, 01:25 AM   #1
KillaKhoa
Rep
Drives: 2020 228ix GC

Arrow Le Gran Coupe - My 228i xDrive [[ Build // Progress ]]

Hi guys/gals!

This is my 228iX, I needed a new daily, and after some failed searches for a 2020 440ix GC... i came across small chonky sedan. I've always had a thing for 4drs, and it was about time I owned a some what new car with some new tech. Loving the heads ups display, digital dash, blind side, navi.... love it! My background is Hondas, my forever going on project is a K24 swapped Integra Sedan, FWD non AWD haha. 240 HP 190 TQ all motor. debating on turbo or AWD next on it. most likely turbo just like the DD.

I do admit, the 228i is not fast, but it has just about everything i wanted in daily. Definitely handles better than my integra, especially with the xDrive. I'm hoping later down the future there can be some upgrades to increase the 50% distribution to the rear. No real intent of going fast in this car, but maybe better handling, maybe snow, possible towing a small camper? I'll be damned they mate a K24 to this thing somehow, haha. Too bad the back doesn't open up like a hatch like a true GC. Really wished the US got the M135i tho,

Anyone want to trade wheels? looking for BMW 18"x8 M V-spoke Forged Wheels, Style 554M. i have 19" M Double-Spoke Bi-Color Wheels

First mod to do, find some black mesh/diamond grill.
Next would be a wireless charging retro fit, then front lip and OEM BMW wheels. then suspension, so far the KW Variant 3.0 has my eye.

IG: KillaKhoa

Attached Images

Last edited by KillaKhoa; 09-25-2021 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
KillaKhoa
Rep

A couple goodies for the GC

OE Grill - [[ Part#: 51-13-8-080-494 ]]
OE Charging Pad - [[ Part# 5A0E551]]
Bimmercode / OBD2 [[ Part$ CX101 ]]
M Style CF Mirror Caps - [[ EBAY]]
Attached Images

Last edited by KillaKhoa; 08-22-2021 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #3
Brooklyn M240i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 30i  [0.00]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Where did you get the mirror caps? And how do you install them if it's way I wanna do that to my 228i and get a carbon fibre cover for the shark fin antenna.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #4
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Too bad you could not find an M235i. Has a lot of things you want and it’s fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
KillaKhoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F44 View Post
Where did you get the mirror caps? And how do you install them if it's way I wanna do that to my 228i and get a carbon fiber cover for the shark fin antenna.
No name Ebay. Can provide link if interested. Quality is pretty good too actually. Thicker than the OE covers and its not too pointy inwards towards the window. No tools needed. Go caveman with it (Firm tug), it works. Will post pics of the mirror caps soon, I love em, kind of a gateway to more CF parts now.... lol. so a CF Fin is a great idea!, maybe a lip once they become available. that 3D Design is so sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Too bad you could not find an M235i. Has a lot of things you want and it’s fast.
Oh its nice, i had one for a loaner. Very peppy! and that purrr at start-up..... LOVELY! However this 228i had a nice price tag with pretty much all free options with M Sport just missing that M brake/sus package, sad about that, but hey, im going no where fast. haha

Had some time, started to get to installing the wireless charge pad.

Price of this project $120 OE DIY VS $500 OE Dealer option

Seemless and quick install. 5mins MAX. However, i did take the extra step to try and locate the extra plug that connects to the chip located on the side. No go, i was not able to find it. I did read that German manufacturers are very specific when it coms to electrical harnesses. Any how, not sure what portion does, but I can confirm the wireless charge pad does work. I know theres an attached plug because i removed one from another vehicle, its a single thick black wire. I initially thought it was a power cable for fast charge (similar to the USB plug). But since it works, i kind of left it at that. i made the assumption the harness would have the extra cord somewhere. I was wrong... this aint no honda, lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by KillaKhoa; 08-22-2021 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #6
KillaKhoa
Rep

Price of this project $350 Ceramic Tint VS No Protection & Free Sun Beams

With the extreme heat coming and going... and with a black car w/ leather interior, I figured tinted windows is definitely required, so I went with 20%, Shout out to BlownLSX for sharing that info. Really liked how the tint looked on on his GC. Went with Ceramic for the extra protection @ my local tint shop. so Technically 7 windows. Lifetime warranty.

After typing this... i realized i probably need to get the big ass sun roof tinted also... maybe a tinted banner for the front windshield too, who knows.

so onto the new new install

Price of this project was only $116 shipped for the Ebay M Style Mirror Caps in Carbon Fiber VS $600+ OE Reg Style Carbon Fiber or $250+ for Aftermarket M Style

So far the quality is nice, its thick, so im assuming they use a basic mirror cap made of ABS plastic, probably lay down a thin layer of the CF weave and a thick layer of resin. But overall it feels durable, the CF weave looks good. I say its x3 the weight of the original. i give it a 8/10.

Install is less than 5mins. Its basic, tools not needed. If you have hands, with a firm tug they'll come off. I do suggest if you plan on replacing the blinkers to custom sequential ones, do it all at the same time. i'm still iffy on those. i would want the front headlight turn signals to be sequential too?

Love how these CF mirror caps look, definitely want the CF shark fin next. However that 3D CF lip is ridiculously expensive. C'monnnnn CHINA/Ali baba! rofl.

***ANYONE HAVE TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS ON THE GRILL REMOVAL? BUMPER REMOVAL A MUST? TRIM TOOLS REQUIED?***

This is my next task, Obviously bumper removal is best but takes time, was curious if there's an cheat code.

Attached Images

Last edited by KillaKhoa; 08-22-2021 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKhoa View Post
Price of this project [COLOR="SeaGreen"]$350[/COLOR] Ceramic Tint VS No Protection & Free Sun Beams

With the extreme heat coming and going... and with a black car w/ leather interior, I figured tinted windows is definitely required, so I went with 20%, Shout out to BlownLSX for sharing that info. Really liked how the tint looked on on his GC. Went with Ceramic for the extra protection @ my local tint shop. so Technically 7 windows. Lifetime warranty.

After typing this... i realized i probably need to get the big ass sun roof tinted also... maybe a tinted banner for the front windshield too, who knows.

so onto the new new install

Price of this project was only [COLOR="SeaGreen"]$116[/COLOR] shipped for the Ebay M Style Mirror Caps in Carbon Fiber VS [COLOR="DarkRed"]$600[/COLOR]+ OE Reg Style Carbon Fiber or [COLOR="darkred"]$250[/COLOR]+ for Aftermarket M Style

So far the quality is nice, its thick, so im assuming they use a basic mirror cap made of ABS plastic, probably lay down a thin layer of the CF weave and a thick layer of resin. But overall it feels durable, the CF weave looks good. I say its x3 the weight of the original. i give it a 8/10.

Install is less than 5mins. Its basic, tools not needed. If you have hands, with a firm tug they'll come off. I do suggest if you plan on replacing the blinkers to custom sequential ones, do it all at the same time. i'm still iffy on those. i would want the front headlight turn signals to be sequential too?

Love how these CF mirror caps look, definitely want the CF shark fin next. However that 3D CF lip is ridiculously expensive. C'monnnnn CHINA/Ali baba! rofl.

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]***ANYONE HAVE TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS ON THE GRILL REMOVAL? BUMPER REMOVAL A MUST? TRIM TOOLS REQUIED?*** [/SIZE][/COLOR]
Looking good sir
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #8
stardustin86
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 & 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F44 View Post
Where did you get the mirror caps? And how do you install them if it's way I wanna do that to my 228i and get a carbon fibre cover for the shark fin antenna.
I think these days most of the mirror caps are quite easy to install, I got mine and it came with an installation guide. Literally 5 minute job!
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
RogerSully
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1

That's a good looking ride, Sir.
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #10
ryanr623
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 228I X-Drive

Quote:
Hi guys/gals!

I do admit, the 228i is not fast, but it has just about everything i wanted in daily.

I came from a 2018 Camaro ss with 465hp and 455tq.... and I don't think my 228 is slow, i was actually surprised how quick it was.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanr623 View Post
Quote:
Hi guys/gals!

I do admit, the 228i is not fast, but it has just about everything i wanted in daily.

I came from a 2018 Camaro ss with 465hp and 455tq.... and I don't think my 228 is slow, i was actually surprised how quick it was.
Still faster than a STI…
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:12 AM   #12
Fix_The_Cigarette_Lighter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A couple of Mazdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
Still faster than a STI…
Ha! Maybe. The 228i GC seems quick enough on paper but it's pretty heavy and mine can't seem to get out of it's own way in the real world. It'll eventually get there, but it sure wallows for a while.

I tried to like my 228i, but for a variety of reasons, I'm finding that increasingly difficult.

Sorry for the off-topic. The OP does have a lovely car.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #13
KillaKhoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
Looking good sir
Thank you. Thank you. Yours is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSully View Post
That's a good looking ride, Sir.
Thank you. I like the new upgrades u installed.

Quote:
It has pep, but I’m sure your Camero will put in work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_The_Cigarette_Lighter View Post
Ha! Maybe. The 228i GC seems quick enough on paper but it's pretty heavy and mine can't seem to get out of it's own way in the real world. It'll eventually get there, but it sure wallows for a while.

I tried to like my 228i, but for a variety of reasons, I'm finding that increasingly difficult.

No I feel u. I think most folks that bought the GC was expecting it to be an enthusiastic fun car. It kinda is, kinda isn’t. It’s a stubby chonky sedan.

And thanks… I’m building the GC to my liking. Next is the stance.

Had some time this Labor Day weekend.

Price of this project $165 OEM Mesh Grill VS $200+ Retail

Bumper removal isn’t a must. But trim tools will be required. I remove mines off since I was going into this blind. Install time is about an hr and the end result is beautiful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #14
ryanr623
Rep

Quote:

That's odd, my turbo spools up quick and pulls pretty good. You use sport mode? There is a noticeable difference. Might have a boost leak somewhere as well. Car and driver hit 5.1 seconds to 60 which is pretty dang quick.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #15
jealonso
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i Gran Coupe

Quote:
No name Ebay. Can provide link if interested. Quality is pretty good too actually. Thicker than the OE covers and its not too pointy inwards towards the window. No tools needed. Go caveman with it (Firm tug), it works. Will post pics of the mirror caps soon, I love em, kind of a gateway to more CF parts now.... lol. so a CF Fin is a great idea!, maybe a lip once they become available. that 3D Design is so sweet.

Oh its nice, i had one for a loaner. Very peppy! and that purrr at start-up..... LOVELY! However this 228i had a nice price tag with pretty much all free options with M Sport just missing that M brake/sus package, sad about that, but hey, im going no where fast. haha

Had some time, started to get to installing the wireless charge pad.

Price of this project $120 OE DIY VS $500 OE Dealer option

Seemless and quick install. 5mins MAX. However, i did take the extra step to try and locate the extra plug that connects to the chip located on the side. No go, i was not able to find it. I did read that German manufacturers are very specific when it coms to electrical harnesses. Any how, not sure what portion does, but I can confirm the wireless charge pad does work. I know theres an attached plug because i removed one from another vehicle, its a single thick black wire. I initially thought it was a power cable for fast charge (similar to the USB plug). But since it works, i kind of left it at that. i made the assumption the harness would have the extra cord somewhere. I was wrong... this aint no honda, lol.
Did the charger come with everything you needed for the install, or did you have to buy anything extra? I *might* attempt this myself
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #16
Fix_The_Cigarette_Lighter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A couple of Mazdas

Quote:
That's odd, my turbo spools up quick and pulls pretty good. You use sport mode?
Thanks for the thoughts- yeah, sport mode. Spent some time at the dealer driving another 228. Same deal, just laggy. The 330 was similar. Regardless of the posted numbers, there’s no sense of urgency in my car (or the comparison 228) till the revs are comfortably over two grand. It may do 0-60 in six seconds but (as you’d expect with a turbo) most of the push comes after a couple of seconds of nothing. It may not sound like long but feels like a while when a dump truck is coming up fast. Now that the honeymoon with the car is over, I’m learning to adjust my expectations. Should have driven the car a *lot* harder during the test drive.

In truth, the rest of the car (voice control, navigation and aggravating safety features) are starting to wear on me, too. I suspect the car will be gone next year after I ride through some of the devaluation. I guess I’m not really a “BMW guy” after all.

Still like the looks and love the interior, though.

Last edited by Fix_The_Cigarette_Lighter; 09-08-2021 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #17
ryanr623
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts- yeah, sport mode. Spent some time at the dealer driving another 228. Same deal, just laggy. The 330 was similar. Regardless of the posted numbers, there’s no sense of urgency in my car (or the comparison 228) till the revs are comfortably over two grand. It may do 0-60 in six seconds but (as you’d expect with a turbo) most of the push comes after a couple of seconds of nothing. It may not sound like long but feels like a while when a dump truck is coming up fast. Now that the honeymoon with the car is over, I’m learning to adjust my expectations. Should have driven the car a *lot* harder during the test drive.

In truth, the rest of the car (voice control, navigation and aggravating safety features) are starting to wear on me, too. I suspect the car will be gone next year after I ride through some of the devaluation. I guess I’m not really a “BMW guy” after all.

Still like the looks and love the interior, though.
Yeah to each his own. I really like the car but to be fair my camaro had ZERO tech features or "niceties", the money all went into the powertrain. So i love all the features. Also, i do notice the turbo lag as you do, given that the camaro had 455tq on tap basically off idle. But after it spools up mine pulls pretty good. Maybe i was just expecting it to be a complete dog coming from my previous car though lol.

Anyway sorry to derail the post OP.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #18
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

If you have the gearbox in comfort mode then lag can come from there. I find the best settings to be sport individual with everything set to comfort aside from the gearbox set to sport..
      09-16-2021, 11:11 PM   #19
KillaKhoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealonso View Post
Did the charger come with everything you needed for the install, or did you have to buy anything extra? I *might* attempt this myself
all you need is the charging pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
If you have the gearbox in comfort mode then lag can come from there. I find the best settings to be sport individual with everything set to comfort aside from the gearbox set to sport..
true. I was thinking about using bimmercode to start it off in sport mode. that way start/stop is disabled too until i slap the eco mode on

onto the next:

Price of this project is less than $20 CF Wrap

center console removal is pretty simple, its all clips starting from the armrest. My first time attempt with wrap, some imperfections. hard part was the tight curves. maybe the center a/c buttons and vents next?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #20
ReallyRadams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 230i

Quote:
all you need is the charging pad

true. I was thinking about using bimmercode to start it off in sport mode. that way start/stop is disabled too until i slap the eco mode on

onto the next:

Price of this project is less than $20 CF Wrap

center console removal is pretty simple, its all clips starting from the armrest. My first time attempt with wrap, some imperfections. hard part was the tight curves. maybe the center a/c buttons and vents next?
That looks fantastic. That is the one thing I cannot stand is the black plastic. I’ll definitely get mine wrapped at some point.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #21
Kevin298
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 218i MSport GC (F44)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyRadams View Post
That looks fantastic. That is the one thing I cannot stand is the black plastic. I’ll definitely get mine wrapped at some point.
I did the CF wrap also, but then started thinking where else to put it, I didn’t want CF everywhere. So I went with this silver type CF effect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 11:57 PM   #22
KillaKhoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyRadams View Post
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin298 View Post
I did the CF wrap also, but then started thinking where else to put it, I didn’t want CF everywhere. So I went with this silver type CF effect.
Looks good, i like that red start button you did. hard to do? I honestly really wished this button was on the dash next to the steering column instead of being close to the other normal buttons, {start/stop}. Dafuq beemz

so, with a black car, it gets dirty sooooo quick. basically within a day, a week is filthy. so i had to get a pressure washer setup and try to wash it every other week or so. try not to waste water and use a car wash instead when its super dirty. i usually go handless to prevent any swirls. Nothing to fancy. basic setup, maybe $150 in all. Chem guys foam. Forgot to snap pics of the after but after a dry, i wipe it down with some Adam's detail spray wax. Its a nice finish
Attached Images

Last edited by KillaKhoa; 09-20-2021 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0