BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

06-24-2020, 01:28 AM   #45
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
You people think this isn't good looking? What kind of drugs are you on. I came from a 2018 civic si to this m235. My civic doesn't hold a candle to this car. It drives nothing like a fwd car either. You wouldn't know it either. Funny how everyone is bitching about it but the rs3 and golf r both use haldex with great results.
The front looks ok, but it's the rear view that really kills it for me. It looks like a mash between an SUV and a hatch? IDK the rear looks bad.

Honestly I think im just used to the more traditional 3 box design. I love a long hood.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:22 AM   #46
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Here is a question: What will sell more, the 2 series Gran Coupe or the new 4 series coupe? When the numbers are in we will know which vehicle looks better. I am betting on the Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #47
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Because I love stirring the pot. To all the haters of the haldex technology. Iroz ran their rs3 into the 7's with the oem haldex. Where them 7 sec bmws at???? 🤣

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLH-qjfB...d=t15lqpjgqhzh
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:59 AM   #48
CSD979967
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
You people think this isn't good looking? What kind of drugs are you on. I came from a 2018 civic si to this m235. My civic doesn't hold a candle to this car. It drives nothing like a fwd car either. You wouldn't know it either. Funny how everyone is bitching about it but the rs3 and golf r both use haldex with great results.
First time I've seen a picture of a black one and Jesus it looks f****** menacing 👏🏻
Appreciate 1
BlownLSX208.50
      03-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #49
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd979967 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownlsx View Post
you people think this isn't good looking? What kind of drugs are you on. I came from a 2018 civic si to this m235. My civic doesn't hold a candle to this car. It drives nothing like a fwd car either. You wouldn't know it either. Funny how everyone is bitching about it but the rs3 and golf r both use haldex with great results.
first time i've seen a picture of a black one and jesus it looks f****** menacing 👏🏻
💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2022, 06:47 PM   #50
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post

Enjoy!
I love Savage Gees, I’ve been watching them for years. Glad they asked Scott from the segment because the guy had the personality of a potato lol

In regards to their review it was honestly not terrible. Personally before I bought a 228i gran coupe I was on the fence about the styling. However when I saw them in person, and drove one I really loved it. Yes I am coming from a F56 mini Cooper S but I also had a G20 330I and I prefer the driving position, the ride quality, the seat comfort, and the noise, vibration, and harshness.

The F44 is much quieter than the 330 I in stock form at least, even with the frameless windows and stock run flats. I had an M440i coupe with the 19s however and it was much better than the 330i as well.

Styling is subjective but I think it looks good, at night time the rear lights look really cool, the interior is high-quality, very similar to all modern BMWs of course. There is no wood in mine but the fit and finish is top notch.

And sure it might be front wheel drive based, but in XDrive form it feels far superior to the Sdrive 228I, I get no wheel spin, it just feels extremely solid. I like the panoramic sunroof relative to the G20’s sunroof. I could have gotten a 330 I, or a 530 I if I wanted to but I chose the F44, it’s plenty fast for me and while most publications state 0-60 in 6 secs, there are several that have got 5.1, 5.2…. which feels about right.

I’m gonna put my K&N cold air intake from my MCS F56 just for the noise, and a JB plus module. I have a DINANTronic Sport module from my Mini Cooper that will actually fit in this car but it was throwing turbo boost codes left and right so Hopefully in this car it doesn’t lol
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #51
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugatuJag View Post
I love Savage Gees, I’ve been watching them for years. Glad they asked Scott from the segment because the guy had the personality of a potato lol

In regards to their review it was honestly not terrible. Personally before I bought a 228i gran coupe I was on the fence about the styling. However when I saw them in person, and drove one I really loved it. Yes I am coming from a F56 mini Cooper S but I also had a G20 330I and I prefer the driving position, the ride quality, the seat comfort, and the noise, vibration, and harshness.

The F44 is much quieter than the 330 I in stock form at least, even with the frameless windows and stock run flats. I had an M440i coupe with the 19s however and it was much better than the 330i as well.

Styling is subjective but I think it looks good, at night time the rear lights look really cool, the interior is high-quality, very similar to all modern BMWs of course. There is no wood in mine but the fit and finish is top notch.

And sure it might be front wheel drive based, but in XDrive form it feels far superior to the Sdrive 228I, I get no wheel spin, it just feels extremely solid. I like the panoramic sunroof relative to the G20’s sunroof. I could have gotten a 330 I, or a 530 I if I wanted to but I chose the F44, it’s plenty fast for me and while most publications state 0-60 in 6 secs, there are several that have got 5.1, 5.2…. which feels about right.

I’m gonna put my K&N cold air intake from my MCS F56 just for the noise, and a JB plus module. I have a DINANTronic Sport module from my Mini Cooper that will actually fit in this car but it was throwing turbo boost codes left and right so Hopefully in this car it doesn’t lol

I almost completely dismissed this car after first test driving the sdrive FWD 228i. The xdrive version feels like a totally different car. Not sure why considering it is also fwd biased but it's so much more planted and solid. The fwd sdrive was sloppy. I was actually expecting the opposite considering how fun fwd mini' coopers are.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 01:45 AM   #52
levelbm
Banned
Rep
Drives: m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
For all the people complaining about the FWD architecture of the F40/F44, I want to remind you about the target group of this vehicle: It is not you. It is not the person searching for the best performance car, the best drivers car. It is the group of young people, having a bit of money to spare, searching for a luxury car, that don't want to get their 7th civic, but want to experience a bit of change, higher quality and better user experience. And as always, a big company doesn't care about you, your feelings or your opininon (especially if you are not anywhere close to the target group of the product), literally the only reason why a company like BMW exists is $$$.

I think they did a great job to cater to those people, the car drives really good even tho it is FWD (of course nothing like a real RWD, but that's not the point), the interior is the best one in the market, not even the new A3 can compete against it.

Going FWD was the best decision for the F40/F44: Buyers of those cars (which is probably not you! Chances are high, you are searching for a RWD sportscar, if you are on this forum) don't care about driving dynamics, it's driving much better than a civic, so they are satisfied. People want a car with a lot of space, relatively cheap (compared to a higher series) premium car. Like 80% of all F20/F21 had the 16/18i engine, a 1.5l 3-cylinder with 116PS/134PS. I'd argue you can't even feel the difference between FWD and RWD with that low power.

I don't know why people are so blind and only care about their own opinion. I had this exact discussion in the M3 thread why BMW went with a converter auto and not a DCT. Yes, you want the DCT for better track use (or a RWD 1 series that isn't even sold in the US), but the truth is, you are not the target group. You wouldnt have bought the 1 series regardless of it having RWD or FWD.

I guess 90% of the buyers won't even care if their 3-series was FWD (Audi does sell quite a few of their cars even though they are FWD or have that fake quattro (Offtopic, but FYI even the A6 doesn't use torsen anymore)). You can start screaming once BMW changes the M3/M4 to FWD based, then they failed to cater the target group, unless it changes in the mean time.
Oh!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 04:05 PM   #53
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
For all the people complaining about the FWD architecture of the F40/F44, I want to remind you about the target group of this vehicle: It is not you. It is not the person searching for the best performance car, the best drivers car. It is the group of young people, having a bit of money to spare, searching for a luxury car, that don't want to get their 7th civic, but want to experience a bit of change, higher quality and better user experience. And as always, a big company doesn't care about you, your feelings or your opininon (especially if you are not anywhere close to the target group of the product), literally the only reason why a company like BMW exists is $$$.

I think they did a great job to cater to those people, the car drives really good even tho it is FWD (of course nothing like a real RWD, but that's not the point), the interior is the best one in the market, not even the new A3 can compete against it.

Going FWD was the best decision for the F40/F44: Buyers of those cars (which is probably not you! Chances are high, you are searching for a RWD sportscar, if you are on this forum) don't care about driving dynamics, it's driving much better than a civic, so they are satisfied. People want a car with a lot of space, relatively cheap (compared to a higher series) premium car. Like 80% of all F20/F21 had the 16/18i engine, a 1.5l 3-cylinder with 116PS/134PS. I'd argue you can't even feel the difference between FWD and RWD with that low power.

I don't know why people are so blind and only care about their own opinion. I had this exact discussion in the M3 thread why BMW went with a converter auto and not a DCT. Yes, you want the DCT for better track use (or a RWD 1 series that isn't even sold in the US), but the truth is, you are not the target group. You wouldnt have bought the 1 series regardless of it having RWD or FWD.

I guess 90% of the buyers won't even care if their 3-series was FWD (Audi does sell quite a few of their cars even though they are FWD or have that fake quattro (Offtopic, but FYI even the A6 doesn't use torsen anymore)). You can start screaming once BMW changes the M3/M4 to FWD based, then they failed to cater the target group, unless it changes in the mean time.

Totally agree with this-the amount of hate this car gets is totally unjustified. I am a BMW purist and have been driving a 3 series for 22 years now. For all those people bashing this car, have you actually driven it? Have you driven or sat in the A3? I don't understand why nobody rags on the A3.

I test drove both back to back and it wasn't even close. A3 has been cost cut to death. Cheap, hard plastics everywhere and drives like a over boosted Jetta.

The 228i is solid, refined, planted and delivers a driving experience worthy of the BMW badge. Steering is super sharp. I'm not going to pretend that materials are 3 series level but almost all surfaces are soft touch plastic and we have the same high end digital dash and infotainment screen found on higher end BMWs. It feels like a slightly trimmed down 3/4 series whereas the A3 feels like a pure VW economy product.

I took this car up to 110 mph on the highway and i felt as safe/stable as i do in my 430i. Am i going to win any hardcore autocross races in this thing and get the fastest lap time? No. Is it a great little car to toss around in daily driving and zip through traffic and have some fun? Absolutely.

We should be happy BMW even bothered bringing this to the States in the era of oversized, heavy land boats that dominate the landscape.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 1
M4_ZMT590.50
      09-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #54
M4_ZMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 i3S, '01 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Totally agree with this-the amount of hate this car gets is totally unjustified. I am a BMW purist and have been driving a 3 series for 22 years now. For all those people bashing this car, have you actually driven it? Have you driven or sat in the A3? I don't understand why nobody rags on the A3.

I test drove both back to back and it wasn't even close. A3 has been cost cut to death. Cheap, hard plastics everywhere and drives like a over boosted Jetta.

The 228i is solid, refined, planted and delivers a driving experience worthy of the BMW badge. Steering is super sharp. I'm not going to pretend that materials are 3 series level but almost all surfaces are soft touch plastic and we have the same high end digital dash and infotainment screen found on higher end BMWs. It feels like a slightly trimmed down 3/4 series whereas the A3 feels like a pure VW economy product.

I took this car up to 110 mph on the highway and i felt as safe/stable as i do in my 430i. Am i going to win any hardcore autocross races in this thing and get the fastest lap time? No. Is it a great little car to toss around in daily driving and zip through traffic and have some fun? Absolutely.

We should be happy BMW even bothered bringing this to the States in the era of oversized, heavy land boats that dominate the landscape.
Oh my goodness, so well said.
I have an M4 but This thing is the PERFECT daily runaround for a bimmer enthusiast (besides the i3s) I would love one of these in xDrive dgaf if it's Haldex based, it's not going to be your performance car. It is sharp and poised on the road and to me it looks better than the A3, A Class, CLA etc.

Here's my daily schleper build...yeah I chose the 17" rims. What potholes? And slicktop pano delete FTW. Skyscraper Grey/Magma Red
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #55
RGM330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 228i Gran Coupe

We have owned 5 A3's (2006,2007, 2011, 2015, 2018) and recently bought a 2022 228i GC. In my opinion, the 228 blows away the A3 in acceleration, braking, and cornering. And, by the way, the last A3 we owned had the sport suspension, 19 inch wheels.......The engine in the A3 is crude sounding and has noticeable turbo lag. Dollar for dollar, the 228 also provides more content than the A3. I also own a 2018 M240i and do not mind, at all, driving my wife's 228.
Appreciate 2
      09-02-2023, 01:59 AM   #56
smartlivingtechnolog
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

The 2er coupe and convertible should will be RWD, right?

As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, the BMW 2 Series Coupe and Convertible were typically offered with a rear-wheel-drive (RWD) configuration. BMW is known for its rear-wheel-drive heritage, which is often associated with sportier handling characteristics. However, please note that automakers can change their lineup and configurations over time.

To get the most up-to-date information on the specific BMW 2 Series models you're interested in, including whether they are still available in a RWD configuration, I recommend visiting the official BMW website or contacting a BMW dealership for the latest details.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 09:26 AM   #57
mimespes
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i xDrive Gran Coupe

Love the look of X4 but a bit clumsy feel for me. F44 is awesome. I own m235i xDrive Gran Coupe. It is the only BMW I actually bought. It is awesome BMW. Awesome. Love it. Love it, love it. And love the way it looks.
Appreciate 0