BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

10-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
mieskone
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i Gran Coupe

M sport ride height/ fender gap with 18" wheels

I've been wondering now if my 220i has been installed with the correct suspension (ordered with M-sport suspension), as when I've compared the tire/fender gap with other M-Sports with the same wheels, the other ones have had 1cm smaller gap.

I measured mine with maybe a bit unconventional way, but due to the shape of the wheel seemed like a fairly reliable way;
I measured where the center of the wheel is horizontally, from the bottom of the fender to the edge of the rim, picture added to clarify

Here's what I got:

Front: both 13,1 cm
Rear: Driver side : 11,7 cm , passenger side: 12,1 cm

For some reason the driver side is lower in the rear, by any measurement, even with just checking with fingers.

If there are other people here with the M-Sport package, M-Sport suspension and 18" wheels (225/40R18), would you be able to check what the measurement is in your cars? Would appreciate it immensely!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Mykele
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 m235 GC (storm bay)

My us spec m235 ( so msport suspension) is 5 inches front (12.7 cm) and 4.5 inches (11.43 cm) rear measuring from outer rim edge to wheel well ( as you did). I do have dynamic damper control as well...

BMW is known for large wheel gap.( Lots of complaints about this in the 3 series, and the 2 series coupe forums.) Lowering springs would help.

M

Last edited by Mykele; 10-11-2021 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:37 AM   #3
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2020 F44 BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mieskone View Post
I've been wondering now if my 220i has been installed with the correct suspension (ordered with M-sport suspension), as when I've compared the tire/fender gap with other M-Sports with the same wheels, the other ones have had 1cm smaller gap.

I measured mine with maybe a bit unconventional way, but due to the shape of the wheel seemed like a fairly reliable way;
I measured where the center of the wheel is horizontally, from the bottom of the fender to the edge of the rim, picture added to clarify

Here's what I got:

Front: both 13,1 cm
Rear: Driver side : 11,7 cm , passenger side: 12,1 cm

For some reason the driver side is lower in the rear, by any measurement, even with just checking with fingers.

If there are other people here with the M-Sport package, M-Sport suspension and 18" wheels (225/40R18), would you be able to check what the measurement is in your cars? Would appreciate it immensely!
I don't have a 220i so won't be able to help with measurements but keep in mind how much fuel is in the tank and if the vehicle is loaded with anything inside but maybe remeasure once the tank is full and nothing is loaded in the vehicle and send the figures.

Also double check that the transport blocks have been removed.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
mieskone
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
I don't have a 220i so won't be able to help with measurements but keep in mind how much fuel is in the tank and if the vehicle is loaded with anything inside but maybe remeasure once the tank is full and nothing is loaded in the vehicle and send the figures.

Also double check that the transport blocks have been removed.
Yes, that was naturally done, the measurements are the ones I posted. Thanks for the tips though.

Also was checked by bmw that transport blocks are not there.
Appreciate 0