BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #133
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
The IS is still ancient inside isn't it?
Inside and out (even with the redesign). I would take the new TLX over the IS any day.
      09-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #134
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
The IS is still ancient inside isn't it?
true. but its rwd. and they will have a is500 v8 model that'll be coming out. i haven't driven recent one but their trans can't be as bad as the tlx.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
supra932474.00
      09-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #135
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
true. but its rwd. and they will have a is500 v8 model that'll be coming out. i haven't driven recent one but their trans can't be as bad as the tlx.
The transmission is the biggest problem with the IS! And there is zero guarantee that the IS 500 or whatever they call it will ever see the light of day (I'll believe it when I see it - and even if they do, it's not going to compete with even the Type-S variant of the TLX...think RCF type money).
      09-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #136
syd34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
heres a review of the new 2021 tlx aspec shawd, but the 4cyl version, as expected dynamically its not very good.

For arguments sake, the RWD CT4 V series makes 325hp and 380 tq, with a base price of 45k. Comes standard with RWD and LSD, which to me makes it already a better performance sedan out of the box.

I really like most StraightPipes reviews as the guys do a great job. But I felt Yuri's opinions were harsh about the TLX.

If you watch TheTopher's review of the TLX, you wonder if him and Yuri are talking about the same car (one loves the 10-spd transmission and one hates it).

Yuri/Jakob even commented about why Acura didn't use the ZF-8 speed instead. I am surprised he didn't know that it cannot be used with transverse mounted engines like that on the TLX.

I had to watch AlexOnAutos for a more factual review.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #137
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd34 View Post
I really like most StraightPipes reviews as the guys do a great job. But I felt Yuri's opinions were harsh about the TLX.

If you watch TheTopher's review of the TLX, you wonder if him and Yuri are talking about the same car (one loves the 10-spd transmission and one hates it).

Yuri/Jakob even commented about why Acura didn't use the ZF-8 speed instead. I am surprised he didn't know that it cannot be used with transverse mounted engines like that on the TLX.

It's an opinion, harsh or otherwise, it's still an opinion. Alex on autos seemed to feel a little underwhelmed as well although he gave it decent grades and concluded that it was "still fun". For such a hyped brand new model, I would have expected seeing more "wow" type reviews but I hear a lot of "I'm conflicted with my feelings on this vehicle".
      09-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #138
syd34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:

It's an opinion, harsh or otherwise, it's still an opinion. Alex on autos seemed to feel a little underwhelmed as well although he gave it decent grades and concluded that it was "still fun". For such a hyped brand new model, I would have expected seeing more "wow" type reviews but I hear a lot of "I'm conflicted with my feelings on this vehicle".
Yes, good point. Alex's issue was the weight of the new TLX and the fact that the TLX is sized like a 5 series on the outside but has similar dimensions to the 3 series on the inside.

Maybe the Type S may have better reviews once it is released.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #139
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, good point. Alex's issue was the weight of the new TLX and the fact that the TLX is sized like a 5 series on the outside but has similar dimensions to the 3 series on the inside.

Maybe the Type S may have better reviews once it is released.
Exactly. It's too big force what you get inside, it's too heavy for its segment, it's fwd based which sucks regardless of sh-awd, and (in my opinion) they ruined the the beautiful concept design from the c pillar back.

The Type-S will give it more power but it's too bad that it will still ride on a fwd architecture, shitty slow 10 spd tranny, and will probably be even heavier.
      09-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #140
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
heres a review of the new 2021 tlx aspec shawd, but the 4cyl version, as expected dynamically its not very good.

For arguments sake, the RWD CT4 V series makes 325hp and 380 tq, with a base price of 45k. Comes standard with RWD and LSD, which to me makes it already a better performance sedan out of the box.

Not a fan of them and rarely watch them for driving impressions, they tend to talk a bit too much about the tech and Yuri goes off on the most random tidbits and tend to gloss over important parts about driving dynamics. Of the Canadian duo's, I much prefer Throttle House.
Germanauto9665.50
      09-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #141
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Not a fan of them and rarely watch them for driving impressions, they tend to talk a bit too much about the tech and Yuri goes off on the most random tidbits and tend to gloss over important parts about driving dynamics. Of the Canadian duo's, I much prefer Throttle House.
Which is why i enjoy watching pov of videos, you get a better sense of driving dynamics, and i've seen a few of the acura TLX, the first impression you get is terminal understeer at all speeds, zero "sporty" handling, made worse by the choice of all season tires it comes with from the factory, add to that 4000 lbs of car and its a recipe for "meh". I'd argue the previous gen TLX handles better than the new one.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #142
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

I'm generally critical of these guys for being way too generous in their reviews, to the point it feels like they are paid off by manufacturers for always saying nice things.

They earned a little more respect in my book for this review of the TLX. Its really been marketed hard as a "sport" sedan but I get the impression it's more fluff than substance (it is FWD and heavy after all). That grille still looks weird and the interior looks cheesy and cheap in real life vids.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #143
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

My first purchase as an adult was a '08 TL Type-S 6MT and it was a great daily driver. It's not comparable as a "Sport" sedan but most people on a forum like this skew heavily to the enthusiast more than the average Acura buyer.

The old TL-S was FWD but it looked great, sounded great, super ride quality, and had a very nice interior (nicer than the E90 I'm in right now I'd say, except for the infotainment which is always behind the time) and wasn't bad pushing at 7/10ths. Once you got past that point, the standard all seasons would break loose an understeer like a motherfucker.

I suspect the new car will be very similar. Nice design language (interested to see this in the flesh), high quality stereo, and if it handles reasonably well at 7/10ths I think it'll probably be a much nicer balance for a car that biases more towards the comfort end of the spectrum.

I can't stand the way the G20 3 series looks, so if I were looking for a more civil daily I might seriously consider the type S once those reviews start to show up.
David701567.00
      09-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #144
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
My first purchase as an adult was a '08 TL Type-S 6MT and it was a great daily driver. It's not comparable as a "Sport" sedan but most people on a forum like this skew heavily to the enthusiast more than the average Acura buyer.

The old TL-S was FWD but it looked great, sounded great, super ride quality, and had a very nice interior (nicer than the E90 I'm in right now I'd say, except for the infotainment which is always behind the time) and wasn't bad pushing at 7/10ths. Once you got past that point, the standard all seasons would break loose an understeer like a motherfucker.

I suspect the new car will be very similar. Nice design language (interested to see this in the flesh), high quality stereo, and if it handles reasonably well at 7/10ths I think it'll probably be a much nicer balance for a car that biases more towards the comfort end of the spectrum.

I can't stand the way the G20 3 series looks, so if I were looking for a more civil daily I might seriously consider the type S once those reviews start to show up.
I agree. My wife drives an Acura TSX (and then I drive it pretty often) and I could see people liking this car. "Sporty" for how they actually drive (not at the limit), likely reliable, has all the features, good resale, doesn't look bad. As you said for ultimate performance there are better options.
      09-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #145
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Alex On Autos reinforced my fear that Acura is overpricing this vehicle.
      09-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #146
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I personally prefer Straight Pipes over Throttle House. Their visor test is a very critical component for me in my vehicle purchasing decisions. Whenever I go to a dealership and the car I’m test driving happens to not pass the visor test I flip out at the salesman for wasting my time and storm out the dealership
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
mecheng771005.00
      09-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #147
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
I personally prefer Straight Pipes over Throttle House. Their visor test is a very critical component for me in my vehicle purchasing decisions. Whenever I go to a dealership and the car I’m test driving happens to not pass the visor test I flip out at the salesman for wasting my time and storm out the dealership
Does that make you edgy?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #148
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

2021 TLX Type S Kicks off Acura’s Year of Type S

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...year-of-type-s

March 17, 2021 — TORRANCE, CALIF.
  • After a 13-year hiatus, 2021 marks the return of Acura’s storied performance nameplate
  • TLX Type S to arrive at dealers late May; prices starting in the low $50,000s

Acura today announced the on-sale timing for the highly anticipated 2021 TLX Type S, which returns the Type S performance brand to Acura showrooms for the first time in more than a decade. Building on the award-winning second-generation Acura TLX, which went on sale in September, the TLX Type S debuts a brand-exclusive turbocharged V6 engine, sport-tuned chassis with double wishbone front suspension and powerful BremboŽ brakes to become the quickest and best-handling Type S in Acura history.

When it arrives at showrooms in late May, the well-equipped 2021 Acura TLX Type S will carry a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starting in the low $50,000s1.

Powering the 2021 TLX Type S is an all-new 3.0-liter Type S Turbo V6 that builds upon decades of performance engine development experience and motorsports prowess to produce 355 horsepower and 354 lb.-ft. of torque – making it the most powerful Type S yet. A double-wishbone front suspension and Type S-exclusive Sport+ driving mode also have been specially engineered to provide additional performance and driver enjoyment and, for the first time in a Type S model, power is distributed through Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWDŽ) system with true torque vectoring.

The 2021 TLX Type S is available in one of six exterior colors paired with three interior options, including an all-new Tiger Eye Pearl paint and Orchid leather interior – both exclusive to Type S. Numerous exterior signatures distinguish the TLX performance variant, including an open-surface diamond pentagon grille for increased airflow, large-quad exhaust outlets and two-wheel options including an NSX-inspired lightweight wheel wrapped in a 255-series Pirelli P-Zero summer tire.

Inside, Type S drivers are treated to UltrasuedeŽ trimmed 16-way power seats with adjustable side bolstering and Type S embossing on the headrests. Type S comes exceptionally well-equipped with several premium and sophisticated features from the TLX Advance Package, including the critically acclaimed and award-winning ELS STUDIO 3DŽ 17-speaker premium audio system. Detailed information about the 2021 TLX Type S will be available closer to its on-sale date this May.

Since its introduction, the second-generation Acura TLX has garnered numerous accolades for its style, driver-focused performance and technology. Following its launch last fall, TLX has been named a MotorWeek “Driver’s Choice”, is one of AutoTrader’s “Best New Cars for 2021”, and the ELS STUDIO 3DŽ premium audio system earned “Best Sound System” in the 2021 Esquire Car Awards. Additionally, the next-generation passenger-front airbag earned a Popular Science “Best of What’s New” award, and TLX has also received a TOP SAFETY PICK+ (TSP+) rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the highest possible safety rating from the Institute.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance – a commitment to expressive styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability. The Acura lineup features five distinctive models – the ILX and TLX sport sedans, the RDX and MDX sport-utility vehicles and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar. All Acura models sold in North America for the 2021 model year are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Additional media information including pricing, features & specifications and high-resolution photography is available at AcuraNews.com. Consumer information is available at Acura.com.

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      03-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #149
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

wait... so same price as an is500 ??

i think i'd take the lexus with rwd and a v8 with +120hp.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 4
b4hand661.00
stein_325i25051.00
jmack548.50
supra932474.00
      03-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #150
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Isn't the IS500 expected to be around $60k? $10k difference is pretty big.
ntg442887.50
      03-17-2021, 08:38 PM   #151
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I think the IS will be a little more expensive than $50k. I'm thinking probably $60k starting.

However, for the same price as the Type-S, I'd easily go for a Genesis G70 3.3TT, loaded is pretty much $52k, and you get a RWD-based platform and chassis tuning by Albert Biermann.
mkoesel7505.50
jmack548.50
supra932474.00
      03-17-2021, 08:50 PM   #152
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:40 PM   #153
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I believe the last IS-F was $60k, but the IS500 isn't a full blown F model so I think it will be less then that. Note, the Acura PR said low $50k, so that could be like $51-$53k?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 06:26 AM   #154
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
I believe the last IS-F was $60k, but the IS500 isn't a full blown F model so I think it will be less then that. Note, the Acura PR said low $50k, so that could be like $51-$53k?
Considering an AWD IS 350 with a few packages is already $54k, there will almost certainly be a $5k+ premium on the IS500. So $60k seems about right...add a few options and it could reach just over $60.

The ISF also last sold 7 years ago. The rate of automotive inflation since that time has skyrocketed. I could see a modern day true ISF right around where the RC-F is priced ($70-75k)

Last edited by Burrcold; 03-18-2021 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 0