BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

08-07-2020, 04:09 AM   #1
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2020 F44 BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Exclamation iDrive 7.0 Randomly Restarts

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new BMW M235i GC which came with the new iDrive 7.0 system. I see there have been a few threads regarding a similar issue I'm experiencing on other BM's but none that I have read have had a solution to the problem that has worked for me...

What's the problem?
In a nutshell, the iDrive system randomly restarts. There is no specific parameters that causes the unit to restart either.

What does the system do when it "restarts"?
While driving, the system will just stop working. The iDrive screen will go black, the music/radio station you listening to will stop and the navigation display in the instrument cluster will go black too but the rest of the instrument cluster displays will remain on (Speed, Revs, Fuel & Temps). After about 10 - 15 seconds the system will resume where it left off as if nothing happened.

When does the problem occur?
Whenever it feels like it, there's no specific trigger or timeframe. Sometimes it won't happen at all and other times it will happen as often as 4 times in a space of 30 minutes.
It happens in any driving mode (Eco, Comfort & Sport).
It happens when listening to radio and when using bluetooth.
It happens in cold and hot temperatures.
It happens when using the navigation and not using it.
It happens in any menu/display.

What troubleshooting has been done prior to posting this?
I have tried OTA updates - No new updates available.
I have tried resetting the iDrive system - Did not work.
I have tried disconnecting my phone from bluetooth to see if it was the phone causing issues - Did not work.
I booked the car into BMW to have the issue looked at, they did a software update on the system - Did not work.

Is there anyone out there with any BMW that has the 7.0 iDrive system that that has experienced the exact same issue and has had a solution that worked for them that I can try that hasn't been listed or is there anyone out there that has seen a solution that has worked for others that is not listed before I book the car in again at BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
atlbimmer97
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M235ix GC

Happened to me yesterday....

Interesting. Happened to me yesterday. Wasn't doing any thing specific, and just thought it was some sort of one off thing. Car is new with 275 miles. I'll keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Weirdly I had a similar situation occur in my previous m2. After driving a bit turning car off then back on it would return on. After complaining a few times to delaer they determined that I was doing short runs with car and that battery was draining more than it should...so car would shut down non essential systems that draw power...until car up to charge? Maybe its the battery in your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:22 AM   #4
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Keep us posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbimmer97 View Post
Interesting. Happened to me yesterday. Wasn't doing any thing specific, and just thought it was some sort of one off thing. Car is new with 275 miles. I'll keep an eye on it.
Please keep us posted if it happens again or if you find what the culprit is. I would be interested to see if it turns out to be a software glitch, hardware defect or something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:24 AM   #5
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
Weirdly I had a similar situation occur in my previous m2. After driving a bit turning car off then back on it would return on. After complaining a few times to delaer they determined that I was doing short runs with car and that battery was draining more than it should...so car would shut down non essential systems that draw power...until car up to charge? Maybe its the battery in your car?
Thanks for this suggestion Kothar. The battery was checked when it went to BMW as they thought it may have been the issue too but unfortunately not.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:53 AM   #6
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Hi all,

I recently purchased a new BMW M235i GC which came with the new iDrive 7.0 system. I see there have been a few threads regarding a similar issue I'm experiencing on other BM's but none that I have read have had a solution to the problem that has worked for me...

What's the problem?
In a nutshell, the iDrive system randomly restarts. There is no specific parameters that causes the unit to restart either.

What does the system do when it "restarts"?
While driving, the system will just stop working. The iDrive screen will go black, the music/radio station you listening to will stop and the navigation display in the instrument cluster will go black too but the rest of the instrument cluster displays will remain on (Speed, Revs, Fuel & Temps). After about 10 - 15 seconds the system will resume where it left off as if nothing happened.

When does the problem occur?
Whenever it feels like it, there's no specific trigger or timeframe. Sometimes it won't happen at all and other times it will happen as often as 4 times in a space of 30 minutes.
It happens in any driving mode (Eco, Comfort & Sport).
It happens when listening to radio and when using bluetooth.
It happens in cold and hot temperatures.
It happens when using the navigation and not using it.
It happens in any menu/display.

What troubleshooting has been done prior to posting this?
I have tried OTA updates - No new updates available.
I have tried resetting the iDrive system - Did not work.
I have tried disconnecting my phone from bluetooth to see if it was the phone causing issues - Did not work.
I booked the car into BMW to have the issue looked at, they did a software update on the system - Did not work.

Is there anyone out there with any BMW that has the 7.0 iDrive system that that has experienced the exact same issue and has had a solution that worked for them that I can try that hasn't been listed or is there anyone out there that has seen a solution that has worked for others that is not listed before I book the car in again at BMW?
Update
I contacted the BMW Connected Drive team about the issue as the problem keeps persisting and they recommended I take the vehicle to a BMW dealership to have a software upgrade as I was running the 03/2020 version and there is a newer version 07/2020 which strangely wasn't showing up on my iDrive as an OTA upgrade.

My vehicle was taken in on 01/09/2020 to get the upgrade. Although the upgrade was successful unfortunately this still hasn't rectified the issue. I've already spoken to the dealership and will be taking the vehicle back for further assessment but it seems as though they might want to go the route of replacing the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Sorry to hear of your continued problems with this.

As aside...the new version does this have android auto update?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:18 AM   #8
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
Sorry to hear of your continued problems with this.

As aside...the new version does this have android auto update?
Unfortunately not... I too am eagerly awaiting for this addition to the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:39 PM   #9
blkf44wa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M235i GC

Garage List
2021 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is a bit old but did you ever find a fix?

I just picked up a 2021 M235i and the system restarts when using Bluetooth to my Samsung phone. If I use SiriusXM or FM radio it doesn't reboot.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #10
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkf44wa View Post
Quote:

I just picked up a 2021 M235i and the system restarts when using Bluetooth to my Samsung phone. If I use SiriusXM or FM radio it doesn't reboot.
BMW Replaced the Head Unit, which never resolved the problem. I eventually lived with the issue for a few months and then they released an OTA update which seemed to rectify the issue.

They then released another OTA update a few months ago, the one currently installed on my system: 11/2020.50 and the issue has not returned but a new gremlin has crept into the system which is the window switches (can only confirm the two front windows) sometimes do not open the windows for a few seconds - which terrifies the daylights out of me should I need to open my windows in an emergency. I've actually resorted to using the voice command "open my window" when this happens.

Not overtly impressed doing this but haven't had the will or energy to fight BMW on this matter, yet...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #11
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BMW Replaced the Head Unit, which never resolved the problem. I eventually lived with the issue for a few months and then they released an OTA update which seemed to rectify the issue.

They then released another OTA update a few months ago, the one currently installed on my system: 11/2020.50 and the issue has not returned but a new gremlin has crept into the system which is the window switches (can only confirm the two front windows) sometimes do not open the windows for a few seconds - which terrifies the daylights out of me should I need to open my windows in an emergency. I've actually resorted to using the voice command "open my window" when this happens.

Not overtly impressed doing this but haven't had the will or energy to fight BMW on this matter, yet...
I feel like this window issue happens to me a lot but I always think I've not pressed it enough.

Also, I had my car in at bmw months ago for a fault with the speaker, and they done some software update and since then the car will automatically switch from Sport mode into Comfort, even when on the throttle. BMW have looked into it multiple times but are saying they can't get the issue to repeat yet it happens most days when I drive 🤯
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #12
blkf44wa
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

I've noticed that same window issue as well and just thought I wasn't using enough force on the control. My previous car's window controls were overly sensitive so I'm still used to it. I'll have to check my software version but I think it's 11/2020 something and I tried updating the night I took it home but there wasn't an update available.

Not sure if it's really worth taking in to have them look at it yet though. The dealership I bought from is about 1 hour away, there's a closer one I could try but it doesn't sound like there's a permanent fix yet.

Edit - My iDrive software version is 11/2020.60

Last edited by blkf44wa; 05-26-2021 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: adding software version
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:43 AM   #13
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieDouglas View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I feel like this window issue happens to me a lot but I always think I've not pressed it enough.

Also, I had my car in at bmw months ago for a fault with the speaker, and they done some software update and since then the car will automatically switch from Sport mode into Comfort, even when on the throttle. BMW have looked into it multiple times but are saying they can't get the issue to repeat yet it happens most days when I drive
Seems like a software issue entirely, to be honest. It definitely doesn't build ones confidence in the 11/2020 software versions of the iDrive.

I've also noticed when in sport mode the rev counter doesn't display on my HUD yet in my settings I've selected it to show when in Sport Mode. The only way to get it to display on my HUD is to change the setting to show the rev counter always no matter what mode I'm in.

Seems like these bugs need to be ironed out by BMW soon otherwise they going to be inundated with issues globally. (Mass recalls/software updates).

I wonder if any other vehicles are affected by this?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:50 AM   #14
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I've noticed that same window issue as well and just thought I wasn't using enough force on the control. My previous car's window controls were overly sensitive so I'm still used to it. I'll have to check my software version but I think it's 11/2020 something and I tried updating the night I took it home but there wasn't an update available.

Not sure if it's really worth taking in to have them look at it yet though. The dealership I bought from is about 1 hour away, there's a closer one I could try but it doesn't sound like there's a permanent fix yet.

It might be worth logging a fault with BMW so they have it on record in the meantime and maybe even mentioning others are experiencing similar faults.

Do you know if there's any newer OTA updates being rolled out soon for our models?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:54 AM   #15
RobbieDouglas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It might be worth logging a fault with BMW so they have it on record in the meantime and maybe even mentioning others are experiencing similar faults.

Do you know if there's any newer OTA updates being rolled out soon for our models?
Yeah that's a good shout actually. And I'm not too sure of any new ones coming out.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 04:51 AM   #16
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieDouglas View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that's a good shout actually. And I'm not too sure of any new ones coming out.
Let us know what they say, if anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #17
blkf44wa
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M235i  [0.00]
So I found this on the 5 series G30 forum and sounds like it's affecting many models with the Drive 7 system.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1802359

Someone on there changed their Bluetooth AVRCP version to 1.5 from 1.6 on Samsung/Android phone.

I made the change last night and today drove a good couple of hours throughout the day and didn't have one reboot using Bluetooth to my phone. Typically it would reboot randomly between songs or in the middle of a song pretty consistently.

I don't know if iPhone has the same setting but if you have a Samgsung I would make the change on your phone.
Appreciate 0