TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
Agreed. In our case, we were very uncertain that an EV (even with a back up gas engine) would work for us. So, it made sense. It helped that some of the available leased cars had great terms (low payments).

If I'm on the fence re EV or wanted to try it out, I'd be willing to pay a premium (higher than expected lease payment) to "test drive" a lease assumption EV for 6-9 months.
Makes sense and good due diligence on your part.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:49 PM   #24
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaC-N54-E82 View Post
Added a Volvo XC40 Recharge to our fleet in late 2021. Given your typical commute, combined with having a level 2 charger in your garage the 225 mile range of the Volvo or Polestar should not be a concern. The Build quality on both was several steps ahead of Tesla and other competing brands. We chose the Volvo over the Polestar as the wife wanted a higher driving position and the polestar dealer was in Portland. Before you dismiss either based on range I encourage you to drive both. I was blown away by both and could not wait for delivery after the initial test drive. The ownership experience has been fantastic.
I love the XC40 recharge. If it was either a) cheaper or b) had more range that's the route I'd go.
      02-03-2022, 01:54 AM   #25
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 72 240Z, tacorunner

If you can afford a taycan or e-tron then its an easy one

The EV6/Ioniq5 are likely quite a bit bigger than you realize. Which is a bit too bad as I think they are really cool. Check em out first.

I was going to say ID.4 has been getting sh!t reviews but luckily someone beat me to it.

The BMW offerings just seem to not be at all compelling.

Jaguar I-pace is phenomenal and would be my first choice, but you don't hear much about them in the US, so I don't know if they are maybe less available here.

Personally, Model 3 performance would probably be what I would end up with if I actually pulled the trigger on an EV today.

Thusly, I think Mustang Mach-E is best option. Great driver, great interior, and looks great for a crossover.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #26
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I can back out of it but I have a deposit on a Lucid Air.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 06:30 PM   #27
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol doc gully View Post

Jaguar I-pace is phenomenal and would be my first choice, but you don't hear much about them in the US, so I don't know if they are maybe less available here.
My nephew has an I-Pace and I’ve driven it. Prefer the interior, fit and finish as well as how it drives to every other EV I’ve driven.

My brother-in-law is an early adopter and they have owned the Nissan Leaf when it first came out, BMW i3, and i3 REX multiple Tesla model S and X versions. Their current stable is ‘22 Tesla Plaid, ‘21 Tesla Model X, ‘21 Tesla Model Y, ‘20 Tesla Model 3 Performance and ‘20 Jag I-Pace. He’s got a deposit on the roadster as well as cyber truck lol.

The I-pace has spent significant time at the dealer for various things and seems to have the same reliability as other jags. Trouble is most of the dealers have 1 trained mechanic for EVs, that are not used to working on the EVs regularly. So it can spend extended time there just for them to diagnose the problem let alone fix it.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #28
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
My nephew has an I-Pace and I’ve driven it. Prefer the interior, fit and finish as well as how it drives to every other EV I’ve driven.

My brother-in-law is an early adopter and they have owned the Nissan Leaf when it first came out, BMW i3, and i3 REX multiple Tesla model S and X versions. Their current stable is ‘22 Tesla Plaid, ‘21 Tesla Model X, ‘21 Tesla Model Y, ‘20 Tesla Model 3 Performance and ‘20 Jag I-Pace. He’s got a deposit on the roadster as well as cyber truck lol.

The I-pace has spent significant time at the dealer for various things and seems to have the same reliability as other jags. Trouble is most of the dealers have 1 trained mechanic for EVs, that are not used to working on the EVs regularly. So it can spend extended time there just for them to diagnose the problem let alone fix it.
Too bad about the Jaguar reliability but I can believe it. On the other hand, I definitely trust any young unproven EV company substantially less - as far as reliability but would be petrified of the (in)ability to actually get something serviced.

I wish someone would make a proper electric sports car around that $70k price point. As it is, Model 3 is about as close as you get. Looking forward to what Lotus does.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:40 PM   #29
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I'm lamenting the death of the i3. Best bimmer I ever had. Honestly, what an under-appreciated gem of a RWD hatch to drive. I'm having a hard time finding something just as unique and fun to drive to replace it.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2022, 11:29 PM   #30
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I'm lamenting the death of the i3. Best bimmer I ever had. Honestly, what an under-appreciated gem of a RWD hatch to drive. I'm having a hard time finding something just as unique and fun to drive to replace it.
Similarly, my buddy has an e-Golf, and other than lack of mileage, he loves it! Mileage isn't even really a problem, as he just drives it around town, so no big deal. Loves the fact that it has manual controls and feels/looks/drives just like regular Golf. I hope he eventually swaps in some GTI seating!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #31
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Can be found used for really good deals too.

It excites me more than any of the EV stuff BMW has in the pipeline.
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      02-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #32
akenation
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 Xdrive

I have a polestar 2 awd long range.
This car have similar range (400km) than other.
They will provide update to maximise but for now its enough.
polestar 2 is a sport ev car. Its very fun to drive and the update coming will bring the 0-60mph to under 4sec...

For sur a EV car is not the same game. You must adapt to it.
I plug it every night. every morning I have 400km range ready.
EV car are not made for people who want to travel the world on a time record.

Tesla stay the big winner for range at this moment.
No regrets with my polestar 2. I like it and I drive my g80x...
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #33
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akenation View Post
I have a polestar 2 awd long range.
This car have similar range (400km) than other.
They will provide update to maximise but for now its enough.
polestar 2 is a sport ev car. Its very fun to drive and the update coming will bring the 0-60mph to under 4sec...

For sur a EV car is not the same game. You must adapt to it.
I plug it every night. every morning I have 400km range ready.
EV car are not made for people who want to travel the world on a time record.

Tesla stay the big winner for range at this moment.
No regrets with my polestar 2. I like it and I drive my g80x...
Yeah, I've really not been able to figure out what to think about the Polestar 2. I think its extremely well designed, aesthetically and conceptually - I think if I was actually at an OEM designing an EV product and had to appease bean counters its exactly what I would target - blurring the lines between crossover and sedan. But when I say I want a EV Sports Car I mean mostly from the handling/seating position, knock the cobwebs off on a windy mountain road kind of thing. Offering Ohlins and Brembos seems to be on the right track but at the end of the day it purportedly handles like a Model 3 on raised suspension (unsurprisingly), which is not bad but not great.

But that's very me-specific; definitely glad you brought it up as it should not have been omitted from this conversation as I'd say it might be the top ranking option.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #34
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
If EVs are the wave of the future, might as well buy a golf cart. It is cheaper to buy and maintain. Range may be an issue but it charges on a 120v plug.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #35
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
If EVs are the wave of the future, might as well buy a golf cart. It is cheaper to buy and maintain. Range may be an issue but it charges on a 120v plug.
One could say the same thing about a Nissan Versa: cheaper to buy and maintain. But other than on a golf course, I don't want to drive a golf cart nor do I want to drive a Versa on a public road.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 03:15 PM   #36
Kayrohit
Rep
Drives: BMW m550i

I’ve driven a Mach E and was impressed with the way the vehicle was built.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 06:45 PM   #37
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Not sure if this should go in the non-BMW section or here in the general cars discussion since I'm also considering BMW but thought I'd ask here and mods can move if they desire.

I'm kicking around the idea of picking an EV this year. There are some really good options coming to market the next couple of months. Kia's EV6, Hyundai Ioniq5, BMW i4 e40 and the Mustang Mach E are all really good options.

The BMW seems to have a few compromises that seem odd/annoying but overall I have no doubt it's the best built of the bunch.

Polestar options are interesting but range is crap which is unfortunate. The rest of the packages are compelling.

I've got level 2 charging capability in my garage. I put in two drops when we built so that shouldn't be a problem.

Distinct pro's/con's on each of the above. Frankly the Hyundai/Kia family is super compelling assuming they are comfortable and quiet. 800v charging, reasonable prices and strong warranty.

Mustang also compelling, great range, well built, strong dealer network.

BMW best built, looks great, likely very comfy based on my past history with BMW seats. But more expensive, not sure about warranty yet and will my dealer (only dealer in town) be difficult to work with?

Any thoughts? Comments? Am I missing any options? Would welcome any insight you guys have.
If this is your primary car that you need to depend on, the only real answer is Tesla. I say that simply because of their charging network. It is by far and away the best option. Public chargers outside of Tesla are a total crapshoot. They can be broken/out of service, in use, or charge extremely slowly. Which is really too bad because i'm not a Tesla fan.
      02-15-2022, 10:51 PM   #38
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol doc gully View Post
Yeah, I've really not been able to figure out what to think about the Polestar 2. I think its extremely well designed, aesthetically and conceptually - I think if I was actually at an OEM designing an EV product and had to appease bean counters its exactly what I would target - blurring the lines between crossover and sedan. But when I say I want a EV Sports Car I mean mostly from the handling/seating position, knock the cobwebs off on a windy mountain road kind of thing. Offering Ohlins and Brembos seems to be on the right track but at the end of the day it purportedly handles like a Model 3 on raised suspension (unsurprisingly), which is not bad but not great.

But that's very me-specific; definitely glad you brought it up as it should not have been omitted from this conversation as I'd say it might be the top ranking option.
I may be biased since I have a Taycan Turbo, but if you want an EV sports car, go drive a Taycan. It really drives and feels like a proper Porsche, easily the best driving EV on the market and nothing comes close. It has downsides as well (pcm 6 is garbage, the range leaves something to be desired, the price is very high, especially if you start picking options)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 01:30 AM   #39
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draman View Post
I may be biased since I have a Taycan Turbo, but if you want an EV sports car, go drive a Taycan. It really drives and feels like a proper Porsche, easily the best driving EV on the market and nothing comes close. It has downsides as well (pcm 6 is garbage, the range leaves something to be desired, the price is very high, especially if you start picking options)
Oh no question, it would be the one for me. But that price tag…
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #40
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Quote:
Not sure if this should go in the non-BMW section or here in the general cars discussion since I'm also considering BMW but thought I'd ask here and mods can move if they desire.

I'm kicking around the idea of picking an EV this year. There are some really good options coming to market the next couple of months. Kia's EV6, Hyundai Ioniq5, BMW i4 e40 and the Mustang Mach E are all really good options.

The BMW seems to have a few compromises that seem odd/annoying but overall I have no doubt it's the best built of the bunch.

Polestar options are interesting but range is crap which is unfortunate. The rest of the packages are compelling.

I've got level 2 charging capability in my garage. I put in two drops when we built so that shouldn't be a problem.

Distinct pro's/con's on each of the above. Frankly the Hyundai/Kia family is super compelling assuming they are comfortable and quiet. 800v charging, reasonable prices and strong warranty.

BMW best built, looks great, likely very comfy based on my past history with BMW seats. But more expensive, not sure about warranty yet and will my dealer (only dealer in town) be difficult to work with?

Any thoughts? Comments? Am I missing any options? Would welcome any insight you guys have.
If this is your primary car that you need to depend on, the only real answer is Tesla. I say that simply because of their charging network. It is by far and away the best option. Public chargers outside of Tesla are a total crapshoot. They can be broken/out of service, in use, or charge extremely slowly. Which is really too bad because i'm not a Tesla fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Quote:

Will not buy a Tesla
      02-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #41
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
One of the only current EVs that I am intrigued by is the Audi RS E-Tron GT. My interest is purely from a styling perspective as I'm still not looking for an EV to park in my garage any time soon. I can afford a lot of gas considering the price of this car.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-16 085631.png
Views: 517
Size:  322.6 KB

Last edited by dscabra; 02-16-2022 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #42
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
I'm kicking around the idea of picking an EV this year.
It's a bit late in the thread but - just out of curiosity, why? I don't mean to get into the argument of needing one or not, just that it might help, as it does with any thread about what-car-to-get, to know what you're looking for. Or maybe I missed it and you already explained.

Big, little, carrying kids, daily driver, weekend driving, cross country, camping, track, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 10:25 AM   #43
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Quote:
It's a bit late in the thread but - just out of curiosity, why? I don't mean to get into the argument of needing one or not, just that it might help, as it does with any thread about what-car-to-get, to know what you're looking for. Or maybe I missed it and you already explained.

Big, little, carrying kids, daily driver, weekend driving, cross country, camping, track, etc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Quote:

In general I like EVs and the way they deliver power. More efficient drivetrains overall, quiet and good performance when built right. It's a DD and I drive 20-22k miles a year right now.

Also like the idea of fuel diversity, having a gasoline car and an EV/hybrid. I've not ruled out ICE though. I like the x3 m40i a lot. As a taller guy I have plenty of room, it's quick and reasonably efficient.

I do carry the kids and family from time to time but my wife has a new MDX for legit road trips.

My commute is mostly highway at 80 or so mph. I have level 2 chargers in my garage so I can charge at home overnight.

The tech is changing so fast though I feel like anything is going to be dated by 2025. The i4 is great but no frunk and the overall packaging is definitely a compromise.

X3 m40i is compelling for other reasons. But when gas is $7+ a gallon in a few years that'll burn a little 😃
      02-16-2022, 10:35 AM   #44
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Kia EV6 is getting rave reviews and looks fantastic. Easily my top choice for EV's at the moment.
Attached Images