01-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #23
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
It is safe to say that most people are not as skilled at driving as Randy Pobst.
I agree, but I don't see how that makes a difference.

Keep in mind I'd pick the M5 over the Plaid any day, a friend has a Plaid and we rag on him every day with our shitty slow ICE cars.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:19 PM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
It is safe to say that most people are not as skilled at driving as Randy Pobst.
Ok...go to your local AutoX and see how "the Teslas" are doing.

You might be in for a....shock.
      01-09-2022, 05:41 AM   #25
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Don't go to a TF day at Nurburgring. You'll start hyperventilating.
During TF the Nordschleife isn't a racetrack but a tollroad where normal trafficrules apply.
When there's a trackday at the Nordschleife it's normal that a helmet is mandatory.

That said this strange brakebehaviour of the plaid looks like it could also happen on autobahn speeds; having to make an emergency stop at ~230kph.
Interesting that they can truely recreate this problem.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      01-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #26
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

I know that this forum is anti-Tesla and "haters gonna hate" etc... But are Tesla brakes really that bad? I was looking at the recent Car-and-Driver review of the new Turbo S with Lightweight Package and I noticed that 100-0 MPH braking is only 5 ft better than Tesla Plaid. I know Porsche's braking is probably more predictable and can withstand the heat better and so on... but I expected a little better result from 1,300 lbs lighter the pinnacle of Porsche's engineering Turbo S... Something tells me that Plaid brakes issue is a little overhyped
Attached Images

Last edited by Sedoy; 01-21-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #27
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
I know that this forum is anti-Tesla and "haters gonna hate" etc... But are Tesla brakes really that bad? I was looking at the recent Car-and-Driver review of the new Turbo S with Lightweight Package and I noticed that 100-0 MPH braking is only 5 ft better than Tesla Plaid. I know Porsche's braking is probably more predictable and can withstand the heat better and so on... but I expected a little better result from 1,300 lbs lighter the pinnacle of Porsche's engineering Turbo S... Something tells me that Plaid brakes issue is a little overhyped
Could be, but majority of those who shows the Plaid braking issue seems to stem with repeated severe braking like on a track. Fairly certainly doing it once or twice it'd be fine and comparable, but the Tesla likely will fall off that benchmark earlier than the Porsche precisely it is quite a bit more weighty

370Z suffers from an issue where repeated hard braking will cause the brakes to stop working (look up ice mode), and it was down to poor/lack of actual venting in the wheel well. Perhaps to reduce drag the Tesla doesn't allow as much air flow into the brake area than a conventional vehicle which in turn, doesn't allow the brakes to cool off adequately between hard stops.

Just a thought

FYI: The track used in the OP's video is from TMP, a local smaller track that is unfavorable to heavy and big cars, the two big brake zones are one after the other and neither are very long, and the infield is tight and favors smaller cars that can carry momentum, leaves very little area for any big car to shed heat in between laps.

I will return to the track, one day.

Last edited by kyriian; 01-21-2022 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #28
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

I just checked 100–0 mph braking for BMW M5 CS - 294 ft. All Plaid needs to do is to calibrate that ABS module and should be more than adequate for the track use.
Appreciate 0