BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

11-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
haze 11
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i gran coupe

front brakes mooing when reversing

i have a 2021 m235i gc UK spec and recently after a bit of a drive somewhere if i then reverse into say my drive way or a parking space there will be like a mooing noise and vibration from the front brakes, now i had booked the car into the local bmw dealer to check this over and they came back with the conclusion nothing was wrong as they couldnt identify the noise whilst it was with them as the noise wouldnt appear, any way long story short there was something to do with an engine mount need replacing so they did that and i had the car back yesterday and i had just been out in the car to get some lunch and what happens when i reversed the noise appears. someone please help me understand why this is happening.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
The Sa1nts
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i GC

I have awful whine from the car, not identified where it’s coming from only when reversing. It is always when reversing at slow speed but it seems to do it sometimes without the brakes applied.

I also have the M235i gc and it pretty much done it since new but getting worse.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
ReallyRadams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 230i

You know I noticed a terrible sound when reversing out of the garage. I'm not pressing the gas petal, I'm just easing up on the brake. Kind of sounds like a grinding sand paper sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:57 PM   #4
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2020 F44 BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze 11 View Post
i have a 2021 m235i gc UK spec and recently after a bit of a drive somewhere if i then reverse into say my drive way or a parking space there will be like a mooing noise and vibration from the front brakes, now i had booked the car into the local bmw dealer to check this over and they came back with the conclusion nothing was wrong as they couldnt identify the noise whilst it was with them as the noise wouldnt appear, any way long story short there was something to do with an engine mount need replacing so they did that and i had the car back yesterday and i had just been out in the car to get some lunch and what happens when i reversed the noise appears. someone please help me understand why this is happening.
I've have had the exact same experience on my M235i GC. I had it looked at towards the beginning of this year. Nothing out of the "ordinary" was found, I just live with it for the time being, not ideal though.

It only happens when reversing and the steering wheel is fully locked to the left.

Keep us posted if there's any resolution found.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
Murat Aydinoglu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328 , 2012 e93 , 2016 f36

Same here. Every once in a while i hear that noise on reverse and wheel locked left. Doesn't seem to damage any brake parts or suspension yet but it does sound like that...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #6
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
I've have had the exact same experience on my M235i GC. I had it looked at towards the beginning of this year. Nothing out of the "ordinary" was found, I just live with it for the time being, not ideal though.

It only happens when reversing and the steering wheel is fully locked to the left.

Keep us posted if there's any resolution found.
+1 Ditto, same with me and please do post what BMW service says (anyone)

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 03:35 AM   #7
PeterRSW
Registered
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i

I had exactly the same, after the BMW dealer replaced the pads and greased them it was okay again.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
The Sa1nts
Rep

I think a visit to the dealers is needed is the worse it’s ever been. I managed to capture it tonight

https://youtu.be/zmqJh2rOW1s

Last edited by The Sa1nts; 12-10-2021 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: URL
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #9
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

That's awful and wrong, my car doesn't make that noise at all. Sounds a tad like there's no copper grease behind the pads or the shims are missing...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 05:06 PM   #10
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

Hey there I have a 2022 228 I X Dr., with about 5000 miles and I am getting that noise when reversing as well, I will try to replicate it and bring it up to the dealer, I thought it was just my car maybe I got some spray wax in there, or tire gel, but I’m glad I’m not the only one thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #11
BMW444LIFE
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Quote:
Be good buddy
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #12
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRSW View Post
I had exactly the same, after the BMW dealer replaced the pads and greased them it was okay again.
Anyone able to share what the dealer advised and did and most importantly did they charge any of you for the fix ?

Peter did you have to pay for the pads being replaced and greased?
Appreciate 2
CoopJet3811.50
      02-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
The Sa1nts
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberYYZ View Post
Anyone able to share what the dealer advised and did and most importantly did they charge any of you for the fix ?

Peter did you have to pay for the pads being replaced and greased?
My car went to the dealers a few weeks ago, they stripped down all the brakes and cleaned and regreased everything, and so far so good, not sure how long it will last. BMW technical apparently advised the dealer that it’s normal but mine was excessive so the clean up should resolve. There was no charge it was completed under warranty.
Appreciate 1
CoopJet3811.50
      02-08-2022, 04:47 AM   #14
lilziki
Rep
Drives: M235i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberYYZ View Post
+1 Ditto, same with me and please do post what BMW service says (anyone)

Thank you
Me too on this! I thought it was something in my trunk or something. It happens whenever i turn my wheel all the way to the left, then reverse into a parking spot. I first hear a popping sound (as if my car could crack it’s knuckles), then once in awhile I’ll hear my brakes screeching. I think it’s coming from my rear passenger side?

I haven’t had time to stop by the dealer but I definitely will soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 12:18 PM   #15
Scorp81
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i GC

I had this issue for a bit but it went away. I do smell my brakes burning for some reason when it's wet outside. The smell comes into the cabin of my car at times and no, I'm not braking heavy.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 06:47 AM   #16
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp81 View Post
I had this issue for a bit but it went away. I do smell my brakes burning for some reason when it's wet outside. The smell comes into the cabin of my car at times and no, I'm not braking heavy.
With certain cars the brakes are automatically applied slightly when wet through the electronics to dry the discs. Never heard of, or experienced, any smells through..
      02-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #17
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

I do notice this sometimes upon reversing, but not repeated every time, I do have a weird steering wheel creak and like movement towards me when I first get into the car. I’m gonna try to get it on camera because it’s difficult to explain..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #18
LuCanBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hello, Has anybody had this sorted out or figured out the cause? My dealership was not able to hear the sound, when I took the car in. I heard it again today
Appreciate 1
CoopJet3811.50
      06-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #19
SimonCW
Private
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i XDrive Gran Coupe

My car started doing this last month and book it in with the dealership and they changed the whole rear brakes (Disc, pads and hubs) under warrenty. So far no sound now, fingers crossed.

Also mite want to check out these links:
https://www.babybmw.net/threads/loud.../#post-1736349
https://www.babybmw.net/threads/reve...4#post-1736336
Attached Images

Last edited by SimonCW; 06-02-2022 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 07:44 AM   #20
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Simon, how many miles had your car done before this noise started?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #21
SimonCW
Private
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i XDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
Only 3100 miles when I had them replaced and my car is 1.5 years old.
      06-03-2022, 11:00 AM   #22
LuCanBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
Mine almost started at Day 1, however it does not occur every time. At the time, the dealership told me, there were no other reports of this issue.
Appreciate 0