Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > F$@* Runflats!! (Recommend an alternative!!)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

F$@* Runflats!! (Recommend an alternative!!)

'08 E92 with 12k miles on it. I've had the car for a total of two months since delivery from the dealership.

So the tire pressure monitor came on today. Took it to the dealer and they checked and corrected the pressure and, while doing so, noted a couple of bulges on the outer wall of my front right tire. (Potholes?)

I told the mechanic I was planning to take the car on a major road trip in the coming month and he basically told me I was risking death by driving with those two bulges. So we took a walk to servicing to price a replacement runflat with installation.

Grand total:

$700!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR ONE TIRE!!!

Needless to say, I was appalled. Is this the advantage of so-called "runflats"? To avoid a flat at the hands of a stray nail or rock, the whole TIRE is designed to risk complete compromisation by a couple of potholes?

Anyways, I pulled the mechanic aside and asked him for some alternatives. He confirmed my idea that it might be best to invest in some non runflats and take them to an ordinary mechanic for installation (BMW quoted mere installation @ $350 if I decided to bring in my own set). He told me I would lose some handling performance (the stiff RF walls ensure stiffer turns), but that it would be cheaper and the ride would be more comfortable on ordinary tires.

Anyways...so here's what I'd like to ask you guys:

- A recommendation for a replacement set of NON-RF tires; for an '08 E92 with SPORT PACKAGE (18" wheels).

- A recommendation for a tire shop or mechanic in Toronto where I could buy some tires and have them installed.
- Advice as to whether or not I should buy a spare tire if I go the non-RF route.

- Advice as to whether it's true what the service dealer told me: if I swap out the RFs, I'll have to sign a waiver that may affect warranty!

Recall that I'm leaving in just a couple of weeks!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
i switched out my runflats with non-runflats.

Bought a very thin spare tire, made a bag for it, a jack, and some gloves. Soo much cheaper in the long run, but you just need to change the tire in case of a flat.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Go to tirerack.com you can get the same tire for like 1/3 the price.
If its the front tire and you have sport package its 185 per tire...
Non sport is even cheaper.
Rears are a little more expensive if you have sport because they are staggered, rear tires are wider then the fronts.

And just go to any tire shop, just call and make sure they have experience working with runflats.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I still don't understand why people need run flats or a spare with an SOS button.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Just got Sumitomo HTRZ IIIs, they are great Z tires if that's what you are looking for.
      04-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
I still don't understand why people need run flats or a spare with an SOS button.
LOL, have you ever used the SOS button. Depending on road conditions it may take about 2-3 hours before they show up.
      04-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep

All initial advice welcomed. Do any Canadians have experience ordering from tirerack.com? Are the shipping/customs/all attendant taxes reasonable? I wonder if I can expect a savings.

I'll look into the Sumitomos, although I frankly admit that I have no clue what "Z" tires are.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I don't buy it that handling will suffer from switching to GFT's. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've hit a small crack, bump, hole, a little bit of gravel, sand, whatever... in the middle of a turn, and my back end hops to the side. I'm not a fan at all, but since I got the wheel and tire warranty, I figure I might as well stick with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
I'll look into the Sumitomos, although I frankly admit that I have no clue what "Z" tires are.
Are you replacing all-season or summer only tires? Do you have a dedicated set of snow tires, if not and you intend to drive in snow then these aren't gonna work.
      04-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
LOL, have you ever used the SOS button. Depending on road conditions it may take about 2-3 hours before they show up.
I have used the SOS button. The operators are really helpful when you're trying to find a titty bar with a buffet at 1pm.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Are you replacing all-season or summer only tires? Do you have a dedicated set of snow tires, if not and you intend to drive in snow then these aren't gonna work.
I'll be replacing dedicated summer tires. I don't have a set for winter, but I plan to invest in them for next year (I live in Toronto).

I'm actually trying to decide whether I should get all-seasons or all-summers. I'd be open to advice, given that I'll probably be buying a set of winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
I'll be replacing dedicated summer tires. I don't have a set for winter, but I plan to invest in them for next year (I live in Toronto).

I'm actually trying to decide whether I should get all-seasons or all-summers. I'd be open to advice, given that I'll probably be buying a set of winter tires.
Well let me put it this way. If you KNOW you are getting snows then go with all-summer. summers provide same level of wet traction (or just about the same) as all-seasons. The only advantage I can think of is that you can get with all-seasons is much higher tread wear rating so they last longer but even with summers there are plenty of long lasting ones out there.

Don't even think about driving on summers in the snow so if snows may not happen for you then go with all-season.
      04-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:

Given the fact that you're going to be using dedicated winters, I'd go with PS2's, F1GSD3, or PZero Rosso Asimmetrico. Those are all tires I've used and loved in the past, although I'm not sure what fitments they still make in those models. A048's are also really nice, but not for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #14
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

HTML Code:

....because some of us are not too (lazy/afraid/interested in waiting for a flatbed) to change the tire ourselves. It's not real difficult and RFT's are shite.
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I don't buy it that handling will suffer from switching to GFT's. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've hit a small crack, bump, hole, a little bit of gravel, sand, whatever... in the middle of a turn, and my back end hops to the side. I'm not a fan at all, but since I got the wheel and tire warranty, I figure I might as well stick with them.
I always attributed this to the RWD, not to the stiffness of the runflats. I can't imagine that regular tires would mitigate this?

As for summers or all-seasons, assuming that I WILL be getting dedicated winter tires, what is the advantage of summers OVER all-seasons?

I'll take a look at all your recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #16
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbuzzy View Post
HTML Code:

....because some of us are not too (lazy/afraid/interested in waiting for a flatbed) to change the tire ourselves. It's not real difficult and RFT's are shite.
90% of the time I'm in my BMW, I'm wearing a suit. No way in fucking hell I am changing a tire dressed like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep

summers are stickier than all-season.

sticker = better roadholding
better roadholding = faster corners
faster corners = faster on straightaways
faster on straightaways= more speeding tickets

... yeah looks like all-seasons are better.
      04-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
90% of the time I'm in my BMW, I'm wearing a suit. No way in fucking hell I am changing a tire dressed like that.
Well get some real clothes then you jackass

I am only joking...
      04-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
I always attributed this to the RWD, not to the stiffness of the runflats. I can't imagine that regular tires would mitigate this?

As for summers or all-seasons, assuming that I WILL be getting dedicated winter tires, what is the advantage of summers OVER all-seasons?

I'll take a look at all your recommendations.
It's the overly stiff sidewalls that cause the car to hop on mid-corner imperfections. But I have to say they've probably saved my rims a few times over this year alone.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
Snaffoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 Sport 330i

Get the Michilin Pilot Sport SP2s. They are an amaizing tire. After getting another nail in my RFTs and having to replace the whole tire again because it couldn't be fixed, I switched to the SP2s and couldn't be more happy. No more tramlining, you don't feel the bumps as much and they handle way better on fast turns. They are incredible. I picked mine up at a local shop here for $1600, tax, install, balance and 4 wheel alignment all included. I think RFTs are the biggest mistake BMW ever made.

I have owned 3 other BMWs all without RFTs and the RFTs in my opinion made the my car feel very un-BMW-like. Now with the PS2s, it feels like a BMW should.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaffoo View Post
Get the Michilin Pilot Sport SP2s. They are an amaizing tire. After getting another nail in my RFTs and having to replace the whole tire again because it couldn't be fixed, I switched to the SP2s and couldn't be more happy. No more tramlining, you don't feel the bumps as much and they handle way better on fast turns. They are incredible. I picked mine up at a local shop here for $1600, tax, install, balance and 4 wheel alignment all included. I think RFTs are the biggest mistake BMW ever made.

I have owned 3 other BMWs all without RFTs and the RFTs in my opinion made the my car feel very un-BMW-like. Now with the PS2s, it feels like a BMW should.
Not all cars with RFTs are as bad as ours.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaffoo View Post

Hey Snaffoo,

These the ones? http://tires.costco.ca/TSSapp/TireDe...tml?cid=274413

If anybody knows a cheaper source in the GTA, I'd love to hear from you!
Appreciate 0