E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Newbie....330D Help

01-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
stugolf
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330D

Newbie....330D Help

Hi Guys

New to the forum, I currently have a E46 330i which has been a great car, I've come from mainly a VAG background thus the username but fancied a change to BM a year ago and have to say its been a very pleasant experience so far!

I'm interested in getting a E90 330D (or 335D if the price is right) for around the 9/10k mark

Most are on at least 70k rising to up to 100k usually an 06/07 plate pre LCI car, I would also like to get the car remapped as its about the performance as much as the economy and I am also a lazy driver now so an auto doesn't bother me but does anyone have experience of being a similar position and can give me any advice?

I read all about the cars and the possible problems but still have a few questions:

DPF - I am aware of the new MOT rules does anyone have any experience of having there's gutted and left in situ, if so how much does that cost?

Suspension/Brakes - Struggled to find a answer to this, is the suspension and brakes on the 330D the same for the 335D both MSport?

Swirl Flaps - Lots of info on these some say they are fine some say they need blanking off?

iDrive - Should I be looking for one with iDrive? Is it worth the extra premium considering it's around 7 years old technology?

Thanks for all the assistance

Stu
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #2
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Hi Stu
I was In a similar position to you came from vag mk4 golf tdi. Wanted something faster but nice to drive and look at it also had to be rwd. So bmw was my answer. Long story short I bought a e90 330d auto from bmw with full service history etc.

So far it's been faultless apart from what I think a failing battery which is neither here nor there can happen to anything. I have done 10k with it so far in the year I have owned it and it's been faultless.

Now to answer some questions Dpf removal, I removed my Dpf myself. I cut it open pulled the insides out and had it remapped to suite so it looks like it's still in place all sensors are still there etc, so to just an mot man they can't tell the difference. So it can be done it's a pain to do well was but now I know what to do it will be easier to do.

Suspension and brakes can't really help but brake I did take my e90 to Germany to the nurburgring and I did two laps one after the other and never had brake fade. Not to say you won't ever get it but standard brakes are good. I do believe the 330 and 335d brakes are a big brake setup from factory.

I also removed my swirl flaps at about 80k and to be honest they looked perfectly fine I did it for peice of mind more than anything.

As for idrive I bought mine with it so I can't really advise however mine is the early version not the new version the years yours looking at will be the early version I quite like it now I'm use to it.

I'm not by any means a bmw man i.e know a lot about them someone will soon sort you out.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugolf View Post

I read all about the cars and the possible problems but still have a few questions:

DPF - I am aware of the new MOT rules does anyone have any experience of having there's gutted and left in situ, if so how much does that cost?

Not sure on this one as I've not done it. There's rumours of an impending change to the mot test which will identify people who have removed DPF/Cats but it's up for debate whether that will be a visual or emissions based check. At the moment they're not allowed to remove the plastic panels underneath to look!

Suspension/Brakes - Struggled to find a answer to this, is the suspension and brakes on the 330D the same for the 335D both MSport?

The suspension on the 330 and 335 are the same as far as I know but the brakes aren't. The 335d had bigger discs and I think twin pot calipers at the front. 330d only gets single pot calipers. That said, the obvious upgrade for the 330 is the BMW performance BBK or 135i calipers. There's some argument that for the 335, the BMW kit is actually a downgrade as despite being big old calipers, the discs are smaller.

Swirl Flaps - Lots of info on these some say they are fine some say they need blanking off?

I've never read about a single solitary failure of swirl flaps on an E90 330d. It's a non-issue. Yes, the company that sells the blanking plates tell you there's a problem, but they would wouldn't they! Ask them to show you an example from a real person!

iDrive - Should I be looking for one with iDrive? Is it worth the extra premium considering it's around 7 years old technology?

Yes. It's the one thing I regret not holding out for, even though the CCC as it's known on pre lci cars is pretty guff, it completes the dash. Plus, if you've got nav already, you can upgrade to the later and significantly better CIC system for a lot less cost and effort than if you don't have nav at all.

Thanks for all the assistance

Stu
Hope this helps!
      01-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

I thought I wanted idrive, but now Ive got it I wish mine didn't have it!
In my RS4 I had a double din 7" touch screen Alpine with full postcode sat nav, digital free view tv, pre outs, full iPod support and everything else you could wish for.
Plus, it was easily upgradable.
If you plan to add any of these things in the future and you've got idrive it can be very expensive and complex to do.
Personally I wish mine didn't have the idrive then I could of just fitted another double din Alpine and had everything sorted a lot easier.
Plus the Alpine stuff was a lot easier/better to use!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

You can go for a really cheap /good non idrive example and save the extra money for our forum retrofit guru to get the latest system fitted. I think his last complete kit including fitting was £1450.

Consider that you will get the most upto date system with 7 digit postcode its a win win as non idrive cars tend to be cheaper as you can bargain harder.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
e91boi
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport

Hi,

I have just got my 330d (about 7 weeks ago) 90K on the clock and drives stop on, its an auto too.

I have changed the oil breather filter, after doing lots of research with no definitive answer for the sake of £50 i changed it however there was nothing wrong with it.

I got my DPF removed as part of my remap, the company did as mentioned above cut opened the box removed it and welded up.

I have also changed both thermostats as the car was running cold.

Car is running and driving spot on now
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
90MSP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D M Sport

Garage List
Had mine about two months... 330D M Sport 55 plate with 50k. So far both thermostats replaced as was running cold. Now I have an error code for the DPF resistance being too high.

Apart from that. At the moment it gives me an average of 37Mpg. Lovely car on many counts and if I can get it running smoothly with a bit better mpg I will be more than happy
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
e91boi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90MSP View Post
Had mine about two months... 330D M Sport 55 plate with 50k. So far both thermostats replaced as was running cold. Now I have an error code for the DPF resistance being too high.

Apart from that. At the moment it gives me an average of 37Mpg. Lovely car on many counts and if I can get it running smoothly with a bit better mpg I will be more than happy
Get the DPF removed and mapped
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
90MSP
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91boi View Post
Already on it.. just hope I don't get any backlash via the MOT !
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Quote:
Removed dpf will be an MOT fail when new legislation comes in
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
e91boi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
Removed dpf will be an MOT fail when new legislation comes in
If you look at my DPF you will think that it is there, also you can not see it as it is underneath all the undertray, already had it in a mot bay and it passes it emissions just fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
David c
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325d M Sport

Quote:
Hi,

I have just got my 330d (about 7 weeks ago) 90K on the clock and drives stop on, its an auto too.

I have changed the oil breather filter, after doing lots of research with no definitive answer for the sake of £50 i changed it however there was nothing wrong with it.

I got my DPF removed as part of my remap, the company did as mentioned above cut opened the box removed it and welded up.

I have also changed both thermostats as the car was running cold.

Car is running and driving spot on now
Where did you take your car for the dpf removal and remap as I see your in the North east?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep

Always going to be a grey area

I have a non dpf car from the factory and i am sick to the back teeth of cleaning its tailpipe. I actually wish i had a dpf :O
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
e91boi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David c View Post
Where did you take your car for the dpf removal and remap as I see your in the North east?
Sedox in sunderland
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #15
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
Always going to be a grey area

I have a non dpf car from the factory and i am sick to the back teeth of cleaning its tailpipe. I actually wish i had a dpf :O
My tips get very dirty too and i have the DPF intact
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #16
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep

Strange

My bro's and old boys dpf motors exhausts run pretty damn clean
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:07 AM   #17
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Mine use to run clean before I took my Dpf off aswell so it does seem strange
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:25 AM   #18
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Maybe worth getting it looked at?
Mine has a DPF and the exhaust tips look like new!
Apart from road grime they never get dirty
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:37 AM   #19
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep

Check your temperature reading through the hidden menu - maybe your thermostat(s) have had it which can effect the dpf
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #20
90MSP
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Been researching about DPF's and it's really DPF'd me off !. Today I was quoted £550 to have it removed, apparently that much as they are deeply embedded in a BMW....really ?.

Going down the Forte' DPF cleaner route initially. Then if that works, BG244 to clean the injectors etc, then BG DFC Plus on a continual basis to remove the formation of soot hence preventing DPF clog up.

Jeeez... sounds like I have to drug my car up to keep it happy thanks to that dumb ass regulation !
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #21
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

am i wrong thinking if you get a dieseal and you drive it as it ment to be ( long distance trip every time) then DPF won't block?

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #22
90MSP
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
In theory that should be true. However I bought mine from a garage and the owner before me was an estate agent... so I now imagine him pootling about town and never causing a regen.

Also as mine is a 330D, it will need a bit of friendly 'persuasion' no doubt to regen now and again. Which is is actually a grey area for me... what does it really take to cause a regen ?
Appreciate 0