E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PWM failsafe, fails safe!

10-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

PWM failsafe, fails safe!

This is a POSITIVE post...

So I've had my fair share of confusion and unsuccessful troubleshooting since my pwm install a few months back. If you've seen my posts you know I've had trouble hitting target boost, hitting consistent boost, spraying meth consistently, etc etc. Ive questioned waste gates, boost leaks, speak plugs lol, wiring, you name it. I really didn't think any of those were my issue especially on a car with 23k miles, and they weren't, but with no other ideas you have to eliminate i suppose.. Upon a phone conversation with shiv, he told me to blow into my main windshield washer line where i had installed my check valve... My immediate response was " Check valve. oh. like. not the three way T fitting? so you mean, wait.. hold on ya, i don't have one of those here". At this point i discovered i had NOT installed one at all. I missed that step and never realized it. I noticed the small white valve when done the install but thought nothing more of it than an extra fitting that vishnu just supplied with the kit.

This check valve is important for maintaining consistent pressure in that main line that my meth is pumping through. Keeps things flowing correctly, and without it, inconsistent meth flow=inconsistent boost as the procede was protecting me from running too aggressive and pulling timing when it picked up decreased flow. For 3 months what I've been seeing is the built in fail safe doing its thing and doing it very well. I couldn't boost consistently through the gears at all, became aggravating. I didn't suspect it to be a problem actually with meth flow because my meth lights usually would come on and stay on correctly at least USUALLY they would. But, indicator lights WILL light if you are at least spraying over the 20% injection mode setting. So keep it mind, you CAN be spraying abnormally or less than you should and lights be on. Or so i believe...Its always the simple things i guess, and we found humor in the situation, so always check your work :roll eyes:

Anyhow, just tested the car at WOT through the gears for the first time since i put in the check valve and could feel when the meth started spraying very well. I felt that SOMETIMES before but now its great. I was thrown into my seat in 4th gear harder than i recall feeling ever before and peaked at 19psi and the car pulled ungodly hard. (start boost 80, IC 0%, about 80/20 mix btw) There is a point where you feel like you're vehicle is just launching out of a cannon and
for me that was it. Always check your work, shiv recommended i post this up as others I'm sure may have simply missed little things, as we are all human. My car feels great, so thanks to robert and shiv for their patience with my troubleshooting nonsense. As well as jeff at topgear and a few others etc.

And i leave you ladies and gentlemen with this confusing image!

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle

Last edited by plague; 10-24-2011 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
bahn stormer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB

Glad that you got it figured out... and thanks for posting your learning for the rest of us.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Ah I see you have spotted Shiv's daily driver

It's funny that after all this it was simply a forgotten component... lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
Ah I see you have spotted Shiv's daily driver

It's funny that after all this it was simply a forgotten component... lol
haha shivs daily haha.. its actually mine i put that on there and went to h2o with it so all the vw and audi dudes with their giac, apr, unitronic, etc tunes would read it in total confusion..... and i know right..

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Glad you got it working! WHen meth system is working 100% there is no doubt the car is super duper fast and responsive
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

glad ya got everything sorted out as we all know you been suffering with that issue for quite some time...gotta love this kit!!!
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Glad you got it working! WHen meth system is working 100% there is no doubt the car is super duper fast and responsive
yes truth be told.. this car at 18psi with methanol and FBO is no joke. those indicator lights coming on dont mean ur flowing perfectly, and thats something important i have learned. atleast with the pwm kit.. but when u ARE, ull know. atleast now i would lol

Last edited by plague; 10-23-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

That's the valve with the arrow in it right. U were supposed to blow again direction the arrow Is pointing am I right? I think I have a bad one too. I'm not holding pressure
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbmer View Post
That's the valve with the arrow in it right. U were supposed to blow again direction the arrow Is pointing am I right? I think I have a bad one too. I'm not holding pressure
yes thats it. i didn't have a bad one i just never installed it. the arrow should be pointing toward you drivers side..... check that. what are you not holding, boost ?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
I've seen a few bad check valves lately so it is first thing I would check if flow is inconsistent. Blowing into a check valve to test isn't advised because lungs usually cant generate much positive pressure. It's better to suck (i know, I know) through it and see if air travels in the direction opposite of the arrow. If you can draw air in, you have a bad check valve and it needs to be replaced. To fix the problem immediately (and temporarily) just clamp off the hose going to the WW squirters (just after the Tee is fine). You can do this by simply folding the line and then using a tie wrap to keep it folded tightly. This is a temporary solution because you will no long have a functional WW spray when you want to clean your windshield.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Shiv, disregard the email I sent yesterday about SEL blinking, I uploaded wrong map
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
Shiv, disregard the email I sent yesterday about SEL blinking, I uploaded wrong map
hmm. ok. lol

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Quote:
I've seen a few bad check valves lately so it is first thing I would check if flow is inconsistent. Blowing into a check valve to test isn't advised because lungs usually cant generate much positive pressure. It's better to suck (i know, I know) through it and see if air travels in the direction opposite of the arrow. If you can draw air in, you have a bad check valve and it needs to be replaced. To fix the problem immediately (and temporarily) just clamp off the hose going to the WW squirters (just after the Tee is fine). You can do this by simply folding the line and then using a tie wrap to keep it folded tightly. This is a temporary solution because you will no long have a functional WW spray when you want to clean your windshield.
Will do shiv thank u. I'll keep u post tmrw as soon as I check it. Also how much is it to get a new one?? Thanx
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Will do shiv thank u. I'll keep u post tmrw as soon as I check it. Also how much is it to get a new one?? Thanx
Just the cost of postage
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
I was thrown into my seat in 4th gear harder than i recall feeling ever before and peaked at 19psi and the car pulled ungodly hard.
Just wait until you get the new maps! Your eyeballs are going to pop out of your head from the blood rushing to your brain from the extra g's your car is going to pull... Ok, a little dramatic... But you'll be screeming because your car was fast and now it's stupid fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #16
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
I was thrown into my seat in 4th gear harder than i recall feeling ever before and peaked at 19psi and the car pulled ungodly hard.
Just wait until you get the new maps! Your eyeballs are going to pop out of your head from the blood rushing to your brain from the extra g's your car is going to pull... Ok, a little dramatic... But you'll be screeming because your car was fast and now it's stupid fast.
Couldn't agree more.... Maps are insane seriously......
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #17
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.... Maps are insane seriously......
im waiting patiently for the public release. but so much torque now, im sure ill be blown away when i get these. perhaps i should just message shiv and demand them lol

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #18
Castr_85M
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW/Fox 6MT E90 M3

Plague, did you ever try data loggin the meth injection and meth flow %? If so what did they show?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
plague
Captain
Rep

i did yes. id have to look again as, meth was flowing but not readily how it should have been. it wasnt a major concern before

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #20
Castr_85M
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW/Fox 6MT E90 M3

I just want to know because you post made me double check my install and realized I didn't install the check valve either. I never had any problems with my kit gave me 18 psi just fine since install. I recently did a few logs for Shiv and my injection channels showed flow just fine. So i was just wondering if yours should the flow was fine when in reality it wasn't?

E90 M3 AW/Extended FR•Ohlins•Borla•ACM•K&N•IND•BBS•Vredestein•Velos Designworks•Vorsteiner•BMW Performance•Lux AE•Arkym
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #21
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alofoque View Post
I just want to know because you post made me double check my install and realized I didn't install the check valve either. I never had any problems with my kit gave me 18 psi just fine since install. I recently did a few logs for Shiv and my injection channels showed flow just fine. So i was just wondering if yours should the flow was fine when in reality it wasn't?
i see. ya i still need to do a few more runs but yesterday i felt the meth hit, a little jolt, and was hitting very high boost, i usually dont experience that. i dont recall my methanol flow looking inproper but ill have to look back. def go install ur check valve . and ur boosting perfectly and consistently???

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alofoque View Post
i just checked one log which i logged meth flow in and it looked fine. maybe its logging the activation of flow and the pump is pumping but flow pressure isnt there.. shiv any input

Appreciate 0