BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

02-06-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
Brooklyn M240i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 30i  [0.00]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Winter Exterior Cleaning

Hi,

As you know all cars get very dirty in winter with the salt, slush, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for when and how I should clean my car in winter. Currently she's very dirty, I was thinking of taking it to a self wash and just spraying it with water to get all the dirt off, I really don't was to use their soap or brush since it will mess up the paint. I prefer to use my Adams cleaning products and use the two bucket method but it's -20 outside. So if anyone has any tips and agrees if I should just clean it with water until the weather gets better so I can give it a proper wash.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
FourCarss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F44 View Post
Hi,

As you know all cars get very dirty in winter with the salt, slush, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for when and how I should clean my car in winter. Currently she's very dirty, I was thinking of taking it to a self wash and just spraying it with water to get all the dirt off, I really don't was to use their soap or brush since it will mess up the paint. I prefer to use my Adams cleaning products and use the two bucket method but it's -20 outside. So if anyone has any tips and agrees if I should just clean it with water until the weather gets better so I can give it a proper wash.
I don't wash my car from December to March because yolo
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 06:31 PM   #3
Brooklyn M240i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 30i  [0.00]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCarss View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

I had that same mindset going into winter but idk. I feel like I should wash it once with just water and here in Canada winter goes sometimes till late March early April.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
f44slegers
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: bmw f44

I wash my car ever 3-4 days. Plus i dont really care if its cold or not.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2022, 07:10 AM   #5
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

I use a prewash before I even touch the car, as it is good at removing most road dirt, followed by a thorough rinse then use a good quality ph neutral shampoo, tap water rinse followed by filtered water that gives a spotless dry. If it is warm enough I apply a hydroponic coat for added protection...

Last edited by cukeuk; 02-07-2022 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 10:26 PM   #6
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
I use a prewash before I even touch the car, as it is good at removing most road dirt, followed by a thorough rinse then use a good quality ph neutral shampoo, tap water rinse followed by filtered water that gives a spotless dry. If it is warm enough I apply a hydroponic coat for added protection...
Wow, that is some major extra touches especially with the filtered water.
Such a stark contrast from all the young females I see driving through their $10 monthly membership unlimited super scratchy brushed car washes with black BMWs and temporary plates still, makes me cringe…😢
Appreciate 2
CoopJet3859.50
      02-09-2022, 03:50 AM   #7
Maxxxp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Shoots!!! Sometimes I do that
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2022, 07:46 AM   #8
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugatuJag View Post
Wow, that is some major extra touches especially with the filtered water.
Such a stark contrast from all the young females I see driving through their $10 monthly membership unlimited super scratchy brushed car washes with black BMWs and temporary plates still, makes me cringe…😢
I washed both ours cars the other day, took around two and half hours for them both, without applying any coating as it was too windy. Which I don't think is an excessive amount of time.
The device I use for filtering the rinse water sells at £105 and is called raceglaze https://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care...water-filters/ Well worth it...
Appreciate 1