BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M-DCT E92 M3

Gintani Race!

I purchased a Gintani Race rear section from forum member "xxS65xx" and just installed it yesterday. Big props to "xxS65xx" for shipping me the exhaust well packaged and all in one piece. He's been a very great and easy guy to work with.

Now, my first impression of the Gintani Race:

It's been 2 days and i've put about 300-350 miles on my M3 already with this new exhaust. I would have to say it is the nicest and cleanest exhaust I have ever heard on an M3! All of the youtube videos that I have seen don't come close to what this exhaust sounds like in person.

SOUND: Just to clarify, I have JUST the rear section and stock pipes. Still, it has a very deep tone to it while still sounding extremely smooth. Its not insanely loud but it's still loud. I always expected the Race version to be very loud even with stock pipes, but it's not to the point where its disturbing. IMO, its the perfect level of noise for someone looking to have their car stand out from other M's and a drastic increase over stock exhaust. From 1.5k to about 3k, this exhaust sounds like a V8 beast and i've noticed while cruising i'll find myself in high gear so I can keep the revs around 3k to hear the sweet sound. When driving around in a parking lot in 1st gear at 2.5k, it just turns everyones heads and i've been getting non-stop compliments about how it just sounds amazing when pulling up at 2.5k.

Once you pass 3k, however, it quiets down, which I didn't expect. After getting it installed, I floored it out of the shop and was just a bit disappointed in the WOT sound. It seems to me that it's only loud until 3k and after that, the sound of the engine is more noticeable than the actual exhaust. I was a little upset about this fact, but after I had a friend drive the car for me so I could hear it from the outside, I was satisfied. I have noticed that this exhaust sounds completely different from inside the car than from the outside. It sounds very nice and has an awesome tone to it, but just isn't screaming LOUD after 3k and gets a bit louder after 7.5k. I had expected it to be loud throughout all RPMs even without the x-pipe, but most people who have done reviews are paired with an x-pipe so I may be wrong. Can someone with just the rear section chime in and let me know if my observation sounds correct?

Overall, even though the exhaust isn't screaming loud, it has the most aggressive and clean, smooth tone I have ever heard. There are no blemishes in sound whatsoever. No awkward or embarrassing rattling or raspy sounds. Just perfectly clean. And the downshifts with DCT are just pure sex. Nothing that I have heard can beat the way this exhaust sounds. I give it a solid 9 out of 10 in terms of sound.

AESTHETICS: Mine is ceramic coated. The tips are HUGE and look very aggressive with the way they sit. Ceramic coated really goes well with my car since I have NO chrome. NO complaints whatsoever in this category. Gintani couldn't have done a better job with the quality and appeal of this exhaust. The shop that installed it for me (Progressive Autosports) here in Houston, had never seen or heard of this exhaust and was just simply amazed at every aspect of it. So 10 out of 10 there.

In conclusion, the GINTANI exhaust is just an amazing piece for anyone looking to wake up their M3 and giving it an aggressive look. My car felt sluggish with the stock catback, and after installing this exhaust, it feels much lighter and I have noticed the increase in torque, I don't care how many people tell me its too small of a difference to notice. It might not be torque specifically, but simply just the way the car picks up and takes off now is much quicker than the way it used to be with the stock piece. My tires squeak much more on takeoff than they used to 2 days ago. Just seems like there is better air flow overall. I wonder what it would feel like with an x-pipe!? Maybe in a few months...

Major kudos to the guys at GINTANI for designing this amazing piece for our cars.

If you are thinking about a Gintani exhaust, don't. Just get it.
2008 BMW M3 e92 Space Grey/Silver Novillo // 20% tint // Hardwired V1 // Painted side reflectors // Matte black kidney grills // Matte black side gills // BMW Performance steering wheel // Match Schnell air filter // RPi Scoops // Gintani Race exhaust //

2010 Lamborghini LP560-4 Spyder
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

pictures?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep

Ehhh I knew someone would ask, lol. No legit pics yet, I will get them this weekend and post for sure.
2008 BMW M3 e92 Space Grey/Silver Novillo // 20% tint // Hardwired V1 // Painted side reflectors // Matte black kidney grills // Matte black side gills // BMW Performance steering wheel // Match Schnell air filter // RPi Scoops // Gintani Race exhaust //

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Beast of an exhaust.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

If you have a Gintani race exhaust and you don't think it is loud you must be deaf. I had the Gintani sport exhaust and I think it was louder than some other race exhausts. They do sound great though.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
If you have a Gintani race exhaust and you don't think it is loud you must be deaf. I had the Gintani sport exhaust and I think it was louder than some other race exhausts. They do sound great though.
you sold it? can you PM me the details on why? you were one of the guys I read on and leaned towards the Gintani Sport vs the Akra, but would love to hear more details!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How does it compare to the miesterschaft gt2 in terms of volume? Maybe the seller mentioned it was a race when its really a sport? I really dont think its as crazy loud as people have mentioned...

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIII View Post
How does it compare to the miesterschaft gt2 in terms of volume? Maybe the seller mentioned it was a race when its really a sport? I really dont think its as crazy loud as people have mentioned...
I can't personally tell you that but I am sure someone on here can. But if you search many people think the Gintani Race is one of if not the loudest exhaust you can get. You may have the the sport. You could contact Gintani to get the measurements of the canister. I think they are slightly different sizes between the sport and race.

To answer the other question about why I sold my Gintani it was just a bit too loud for me since I take clients to lunch/dinner, etc. And again I just had the sport. Loved the sound though when I was alone with the windows down around town.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
HebrewhaM3r
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Good point
imo Week one, you usually don't mind how loud it is and just love it. it's after a couple of weeks when it starts getting annoying.Also When I had my aftermarket exhaust it seemed like almost every kid in a riced out civic or eclipse wanted to race me,that got old too. hee hee
      09-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep

Can someone tell me if I am right about the RPM sound ranges? Just want to see of other people have the same thoughts. Until 3k it is very loud (specially inside cabin) and above 3k it quiets down a little bit?

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

call me crazy however i heard a gintani race axle back and didnt think it was loud at all!

Suprisingly for me it was loud bottom end and at WOT it setlled down a lot
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
Raz@Gintani
Rep
Drives: E92- MR M3

^^ Honestly It depends on the person, depending on how "sensitive" the person is to sound. We've had many costumers say our Race system is the loudest they've heard, and we've had customers think other wise.

But If I was to give a general answer to the question of how loud it is... I would honestly say the Gintani Race system is loud.. compared to others.. and of coarse it is much much louder then stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Beast of an exhaust.
+1 I bought mine from you Gintani FTW

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Dude this exhaust is loud with catless pipes and a X-pipe trust me its loud as F*%k. I have Gintani Race with AA X-pipe catless I live in Texas and have a son that lives in Houston. The next time I will be in the Area is for my son birthday the 1st weekend of Oct. If you want to hear this in person send me a pm for contact info.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #15
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Quote:
Can someone tell me if I am right about the RPM sound ranges? Just want to see of other people have the same thoughts. Until 3k it is very loud (specially inside cabin) and above 3k it quiets down a little bit?
For me, during break in when the rpms hit 3.4k it quiets down like a switch, now after a few thousand kms it still quiets downs after 3.4k but its a more gradual quiet down than before if that makes any sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep

Thats the problem, when I was researching about this exhaust, my understanding was that there was NO quieting down. Even with just the rear section I was under the impression that it was loud throughout the entire rpm range.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
N///M3
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Any more info on the quieting down after 3k problem? Seems like that would be a let down
      12-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N///M3 View Post
Any more info on the quieting down after 3k problem? Seems like that would be a let down
From my experience all the axle-back only exhausts quiet down after like 4k rpm. At least that's the sound of it from inside the car. From the outside it still sounds awesome.

Once I added an x-pipe it just roars to red line.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

The inside bass noise resonating throughout the cabin at low RPM's is probably the annoying dreaded drone. The outside definitely doesn't quiet down with RPM.
      12-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #20
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
IMO the Gintani Race doesn't produce its' "true" sound unless you have an x-pipe. Then it's .
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

GINTANI = ANIMAL

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #22
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
GINTANI = ANIMAL
I learnt that recently.
Appreciate 0