F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > M cars prices, dropping ?
GetBMWParts

02-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

M cars prices, dropping ?

So been doing my usual browsing on M cars, notice a few at local dealers and others are dropping, 2017 M6 for under 59K ? seems good value for a car like that ? and only 2K miles on it.

Was in another dealer the other day and they had 5 x M140i's all brand new on forecourt

Plenty of M3's and M4s around too, seems like the prices are getting adjusted down regularly ?
      02-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M sport Convertible

From my opinion M cars used to be pretty rear now I see a few on the road pretty much every day. I had to pop in to my local dealer to get my wife’s mini key read and was surprised with the number of M and M lite cars
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

I was looking at an M5 and they said it was reduced by £1500 recently, trouble is when selling a car to them they give you trade for yours and charge you retail on the new one, don't even seem to want to budge on either price.

It also seems that options make no difference to the trade price
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 01:59 AM   #4
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
I was looking at an M5 and they said it was reduced by £1500 recently, trouble is when selling a car to them they give you trade for yours and charge you retail on the new one, don't even seem to want to budge on either price.

It also seems that options make no difference to the trade price
True. I'm in the game at the moment and it becomes a bit insulting. One dealer offered 16k for mine, claiming it will cost them "many thousands" in checks before they can forecourt it at 22k. And as you say, they don't budge
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:00 AM   #5
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Prices are dropping like a stone because they simply can't shift them. Pretty much any M car just now is a money pit and is depreciating at a massive rate.

Massive oversupply by BMW has devalued the M brand. My local has 10 x M3/4 on the forecourt one being a CS and a DTM.

I'm getting rid of my M4 next week whilst it's still financially viable.

There were under 60 M4 for sale when I was buying mine 18 months ago. There are now over 600 M4 for sale on auto trader.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:29 AM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Prices are dropping like a stone because they simply can't shift them. Pretty much any M car just now is a money pit and is depreciating at a massive rate.

Massive oversupply by BMW has devalued the M brand. My local has 10 x M3/4 on the forecourt one being a CS and a DTM.

There were under 60 M4 for sale when I was buying mine 18 months ago. There are now over 600 M4 for sale on auto trader.
Interesting Daz. What you swapping the M4 for?

I've been out test driving a few cars this weekend also, maybe something in the air.

Fortunately as I got mine so cheap (as I think you did?), there is hardly any negative to swallow.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 04:23 AM   #7
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

600 M4/M3s wow that's huge, BMW are certainly in a numbers game, brand equity does not seem that important compared to sales.

Just looked and thats MY 2016 and newer as well

Other than depreciation why would an M car be a money pit.

Last edited by JLR1969; 02-25-2018 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 04:28 AM   #8
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:

Wow, do you think thats the issue ?
I’d love to have one but cant swallow another load of depreciation on top of what my 335 seems to have done in 2 years.
Wonder if looking at other brands would be any better?
      02-25-2018, 05:16 AM   #9
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwils View Post
Quote:

Wow, do you think thats the issue ?
IÂ’d love to have one but cant swallow another load of depreciation on top of what my 335 seems to have done in 2 years.
Wonder if looking at other brands would be any better?
100%
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 05:48 AM   #10
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Not sure if any other mainstream brand is going to be much better for anyone looking to buy brand new cars every two years. Limited edition cars like Porsche GT models, or low volume manufacturers like Lotus aren't really options for everyday cars.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #11
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Personally, I would just alter the way I buy cars to get the best value. If there is massive depreciation in the first year or two, then I would probably buy an AUC rather than new and keep it until it's about 6 years old. This works better if you're not reliant on finance.

By the time the car is that kind of age, the effects of new car discounting are largely gone - the buyer is unlikely to be considering a new car as an alternative.

I have certainly found in the past that accelerated early depreciation, leads to very low depreciation in years 3-6. Right now, I have owned my 335d from new for nearly 4 years and fortunately still think it's a great car. I reckon I could sell it for £17k today, £12k in 2 years, or £10.5k in 3 years. Keeping it seems like a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #12
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Personally, I would just alter the way I buy cars to get the best value. If there is massive depreciation in the first year or two, then I would probably buy an AUC rather than new and keep it until it's about 6 years old. This works better if you're not reliant on finance.

By the time the car is that kind of age, the effects of new car discounting are largely gone - the buyer is unlikely to be considering a new car as an alternative.

I have certainly found in the past that accelerated early depreciation, leads to very low depreciation in years 3-6. Right now, I have owned my 335d from new for nearly 4 years and fortunately still think it's a great car. I reckon I could sell it for £17k today, £12k in 2 years, or £10.5k in 3 years. Keeping it seems like a no-brainer.
100% agree the trouble is people want to change cars every couple of years and their circumstances change or the get bored
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #13
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
100% agree the trouble is people want to change cars every couple of years and their circumstances change or the get bored
A lot also want a car with full warranty and no need to mot.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #14
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
True. Perhaps it's partly an age thing. When I was in my late 20s and early 30s I used to change cars too often. I lost £16k in 9,000 miles on a new 540i so I can understand ajfoggy 's pain!

I realised if I kept on doing that, I would probably be chucking away half a million more than I need to in order to get my 'fix' from the shiny new car. I still buy decent cars, but keep them longer. I could probably save another half a million by driving round in some cheapo box, but that is a step further than I'm willing to go!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #15
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post

100% agree the trouble is people want to change cars every couple of years and their circumstances change or they get bored
Yes, I think you're both right!

If you've bought new keeping the car a while does reduce the pain of the depreciation; however, circumstances change and people can and do get bored. I've lost count of the number of times over the years when friends and colleagues have come up with all sorts of financial justifications for changing their car; however, when you cut through it the real reason is they just wanted a change. Nothing wrong in that of course but just be honest and don't make out the change is saving money when invariably it isn't!

Back on topic with M-cars, there certainly seems to be a lot of M4's in the dealer network at the moment and some of those have also been sticking for quite a while. My local dealer (Stratstone Harrogate) have a pre-reg 67-plate from September last year which they still don't appear to be able to shift despite a decent spec and a reasonable(ish) price tag of "only" £48k. With the new registration due out this week I wonder if they'd let it go for £45k and offer the same 3.9% finance they're giving on a new one?!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #16
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
The warranty can be extended with BMW pretty cheaply - around £500 per year on a 3 Series, even top of the range. I think an MOT failure in the first 3 MOTs is covered too, so the one at 6 years old is the first time you're on your own. Not such a big deal IMO. But I guess people will find their own justification to support their decision to buy a new one!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Nothing unusual about this, M cars have always dropped like a stone in the first 3-4 years, they then stabilise to a gentler curve.

Just look at the e92 they were at points giving them away new knocking 18k off them or doing lease deals £500 in £500 per month etc....Now they are in the 20-30k bracket good ones are in demand and prices are firm.

Anyone who buys a new M car and thinks they can jump out during the first 1-2 years without taking a bath hasn't really looked at the market before making the decision.

It's also the last year of M3 production 75% (150) of the AUC cars for sale are less than a year old and will have been pushed on to the dealers, the other 25% (50) is the underlying used market.

Last edited by Wills2; 02-25-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

600! Crikey, however surely just more production and owners etc
      02-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
A BMW warranty costs £800ish a lot cheaper than a new car every couple of years if a warranty is so important

As for MOT not sure most 3 year old BMWs would fail
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #20
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:

@DazC what's real world MPG in an M4 - nice one just popped up at local BMW so just doing some man maths
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #21
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Quote:

@DazC what's real world MPG in an M4 - nice one just popped up at local BMW so just doing some man maths
Mostly rural low 20's.

Mixed driving mid 20's.

Motorway can get low 30's if driving really sedately.

Low 300's from a tank think have saw 400 miles once.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #22
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
There were a load of M cars on the Sytner’s web site as pre registered with about £15k plus off list price with a fair bit of extra kit.

Heavy Apr at 10.9% mind. Personally I’d sort my own cheaper finance.

Think the other issue with M cars is going to be their running costs.

Presume the insurance is going to be hefty.

They’re going to be a bit dipsomaniacal the way they get through fuel

Have to be careful where you park as they no doubt get a lot of unwanted attention

How easy are they to drive in adverse conditions ? ( I know my dealer wasn’t keen on me test driving one in the rain ).

Prseme they’re a bit like a Russian bride off the Internet- very appealing at first but the lack of practicality soon bites back.