BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

11-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #67
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
because it's something BMW chose to make in a manner that's not fitting of their brand. I could buy a 2GC but I never would on that platform. The M2 is another story. I've long considered one as a fun weekend car but I have a hard time wanting to drive a coupe or sedan where I live since that's a death wish.

I'm not alone thinking BMW shouldn't use a FWD platform for their brand. On a Mini, sure, on a BMW M Performance model that's a hard no
Too late for that line of thinking...

BMW 2 Series ActiveTourer anyone?
Attached Images

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #68
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I think your presumption is flawed since X1's and X2's are becoming the norm for loaners.

I like small cars, and part of that means I'm the guy that asked for the MINI for a loaner. And MINIs have been good. I just think there was an opportunity for BMW to keep the fwd cars labeled as MINI and take on the fwd offerings from MB and Audi with that brand, which seems to be dying for good product.
Personally I think your presumption is flawed that if BMW just branded these vehicles as MINI's they'd attract A3/Q3/CLA/A-Class/GLA buyers in the same quantity that having them as BMW's does. The hood ornament matters, too, or all those people buying those FWD-based Audi's and Benz's would just buy VW's or whatever non-premium brand you want to insert.

There's a market for those cars, and it's not a small market. BMW can't ignore it, and they can't just pawn those models off on a less prestigious sub-brand.
Appreciate 4
530iDriver1707.50
clee1982796.00
heavyD^23684.00
Sedan_Clan24812.50
      11-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #69
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Quote:
I think your presumption is flawed since X1's and X2's are becoming the norm for loaners.

I like small cars, and part of that means I'm the guy that asked for the MINI for a loaner. And MINIs have been good. I just think there was an opportunity for BMW to keep the fwd cars labeled as MINI and take on the fwd offerings from MB and Audi with that brand, which seems to be dying for good product.
Personally I think your presumption is flawed that if BMW just branded these vehicles as MINI's they'd attract A3/Q3/CLA/A-Class/GLA buyers in the same quantity that having them as BMW's does. The hood ornament matters, too, or all those people buying those FWD-based Audi's and Benz's would just buy VW's or whatever non-premium brand you want to insert.

There's a market for those cars, and it's not a small market. BMW can't ignore it, and they can't just pawn those models off on a less prestigious sub-brand.
You're likely right. After years of driving BMW's I'm driving a VW. I realize that's unusual.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #70
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
because it's something BMW chose to make in a manner that's not fitting of their brand. I could buy a 2GC but I never would on that platform. The M2 is another story. I've long considered one as a fun weekend car but I have a hard time wanting to drive a coupe or sedan where I live since that's a death wish.

I'm not alone thinking BMW shouldn't use a FWD platform for their brand. On a Mini, sure, on a BMW M Performance model that's a hard no
Too late for that line of thinking...

BMW 2 Series ActiveTourer anyone?
I was speaking for the US market but that's also an abomination
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #71
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
You're likely right. After years of driving BMW's I'm driving a VW. I realize that's unusual.
Not as unusual as you think. Been driving BMW's since 2000 and I still have my '09 E90 but also have a '18 Golf R which, by the way is an absolute delight to drive and has been flawless in the nearly 2 years I've had it.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4462.00
clee1982796.00
      11-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #72
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
VW is gearing up for a rather serious BEV Offense that BMW better not take too lightly.
Indeed. The ID3 seems to be very good according the first reviews.
And Mr. Diess is not only talking, there is a substantial transition going on with the VW factories in Germany. And Ford will use their MEB platform also.

That farting, crackling sh... here is only boring, if you know the power of the electrical side of the force.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #73
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
VW is gearing up for a rather serious BEV Offense that BMW better not take too lightly.
Indeed. The ID3 seems to be very good according the first reviews.
And Mr. Diess is not only talking, there is a substantial transition going on with the VW factories in Germany. And Ford will use their MEB platform also.

That farting, crackling sh... here is only boring, if you know the power of the electrical side of the force.
I think Ford will use Rivian as well considering they invested some money in them.
      11-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #74
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
Not sure why you're stepping so far out of your league to bash the 2 when your list of prospective cars is over twice the value of this. There will be a 2 series rwd to appease you, so flinging your poo all over this is wasting your time unless you just like to rant.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Just curious, but why, if any of you would, buy a 2GC over say, a Golf GTI/R??? I don't see many reasons to if I'm being honest, other than wanting the badge on the hood.
How about this: "They're very similar. Except the BMW boasts more torque, a smoother gearbox and is, as near as I can tell, quite a bit louder from the factory."
Quote:

Ok let's talk Isetta, e36 and e46 compacts and the Z1. 🤷
      11-24-2019, 02:17 AM   #75
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure why you're stepping so far out of your league to bash the 2 when your list of prospective cars is over twice the value of this. There will be a 2 series rwd to appease you, so flinging your poo all over this is wasting your time unless you just like to rant.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Just curious, but why, if any of you would, buy a 2GC over say, a Golf GTI/R??? I don't see many reasons to if I'm being honest, other than wanting the badge on the hood.
How about this: "They're very similar. Except the BMW boasts more torque, a smoother gearbox and is, as near as I can tell, quite a bit louder from the factory."
Quote:

Ok let's talk Isetta, e36 and e46 compacts and the Z1.
bottom line is BMW can use existing platforms to have a RWD based set up but chose not to for a few $ saved vs making something even younger generations could appreciate in full they were given FWD. Now a FWD based AWD isn't awful but if you have the option for a RWD based AWD then that's the obvious choice. I don't like seeing brands no matter who it is go down this road because it's a slippery slope
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #76
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
My 09 GTI was a blast to drive too and if I wanted another FWD car it would not be a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #77
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Quote:
Still not a proper BMW with a FWD based AWD sorry not sorry but this is junk regardless. If someone wanted that platform they could buy an Audi
What if I prefer the design of the BMW? Do I still have to buy an Audi?
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791430.50
      11-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #78
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiman View Post
gotta be honest; not sure who prefers the design language of this car over even a 5 year old S3
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #79
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
gotta be honest; not sure who prefers the design language of this car over even a 5 year old S3
That is simply your opinion, and we all know what those are as common as...
      11-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #80
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Well your opinion is indeed valid... albeit perhaps void on the fact that your entire car history is comprised of BMWs... so if you like it because it's a BMW and you are brand snobbing, I suppose I can't fault you there as long as you admit it...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #81
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Still not a proper BMW with a FWD based AWD sorry not sorry but this is junk regardless. If someone wanted that platform they could buy an Audi
I mean we can all try to pick apart what I said but it won't change the core substance. Get what works for you, I'm simply disappointed BMW didn't use their RWD CLAR for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #82
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I mean we can all try to pick apart what I said but it won't change the core substance. Get what works for you, I'm simply disappointed BMW didn't use their RWD CLAR for it.
They don't have to. They are competing with entry level FWD offerings from MB and Audi.

Please give it a rest.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #83
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They don't have to. They are competing with entry level FWD offerings from MB and Audi.

Please give it a rest.
They had the opportunity to do it better is all I am saying. People are taking what my initial comment meant out of context.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #84
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Well your opinion is indeed valid... albeit perhaps void on the fact that your entire car history is comprised of BMWs... so if you like it because it's a BMW and you are brand snobbing, I suppose I can't fault you there as long as you admit it...
?? That's my current fleet. Owned many Chevys Pontiacs and Volkswagens. In fact sold my last VW just a few weeks ago. They were all great cars.
      11-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #85
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
If BMW says people don't care about FWD or RWD (pointing out that AWD based on FWD is VERY different from AWD based on RWD) then there is absolutely no reason to buy this ugly son of a sedan over a nice looking Audi or Mercedes.
      11-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #86
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
If BMW says people don't care about FWD or RWD (pointing out that AWD based on FWD is VERY different from AWD based on RWD) then there is absolutely no reason to buy this ugly son of a sedan over a nice looking Audi or Mercedes.
Nice looking Mercedes? You mean that Mazda 3 look alike A Class? Haha

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #87
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Yeah the A class is pretty ugly too but the new interior is amazing at the price point. That said the interior in the M235i is definitely a step above the 2 series.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #88
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Quote:
AWD BMWs sell the most nowadays. Time has moved on.

I'm happy to hear it is a good car. Though, I expected as much. My X2 M35i is a blast, and I'm sure this will be too.
In Canada every bmw sold is xDrive that's not an ///M car (now some ///M cars too) If you just want a plain rwd 3 series you have to special order it. Pathetic really...
Same in Metro-NY.