E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW included maintenance

06-01-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
Heliskyr
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

BMW included maintenance

Noob question--

For the 4yr/50K mi. included maintenance, does this work always need to be done at a BMW dealership, or does BMW allow such work to be done by other authorized service centers (such as those that specialize in BMW or german cars.)

I'm hearing nightmare stories relating to service from local dealers and there are a number of BMW service shops in my area. I'd like to know ahead of time what my service options are.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliskyr
Noob question--

For the 4yr/50K mi. included maintenance, does this work always need to be done at a BMW dealership, or does BMW allow such work to be done by other authorized service centers (such as those that specialize in BMW or german cars.)

I'm hearing nightmare stories relating to service from local dealers and there are a number of BMW service shops in my area. I'd like to know ahead of time what my service options are.

Thanks!
I am pretty much 99% sure it has to be at a dealership, because I can't imagine the pain in the ass it going to be for payment if you do it elsewhere.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
yetdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Can you bring the car to ANY BMW dealership, or just the one you purchased it from?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetdog
Can you bring the car to ANY BMW dealership, or just the one you purchased it from?
Any official BMW repair center, shop or dealership shop.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #5
yetdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionnv
Thank you very much. I am, however, a tad nervous about this when I do have to bring it in. I was originally courting my local dealer, but when they wouldn't budge off their sticker, I went elsewhere - 2 hours away elsewhere - and saved a lot. Should it just be no big deal to bring it to the local place? No sneering from the salesguy?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you very much. I am, however, a tad nervous about this when I do have to bring it in. I was originally courting my local dealer, but when they wouldn't budge off their sticker, I went elsewhere - 2 hours away elsewhere - and saved a lot. Should it just be no big deal to bring it to the local place? No sneering from the salesguy?
Just hope that you don't need any service until the first service interval that is 15,000 miles away and by then they hopefully have forgotten about you. That's what I'm hoping for anyway
      06-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
YYimports
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TitanSilver E90

Quote:
It won't matter really cause you'll be dealing directly with the service department, not sales at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
Socko
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

I've heard stories about one particular so Cal MB dealership that if you bought your car at another dealership they treat you like crap compared to customers that have purchased the vehicle through them. Has anyone heard such treatment from any so Cal BMW dealerships?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko
I've heard stories about one particular so Cal MB dealership that if you bought your car at another dealership they treat you like crap compared to customers that have purchased the vehicle through them. Has anyone heard such treatment from any so Cal BMW dealerships?
Not specifically heard anything about this type of thing at BMW dealerships, but I have heard stories like "they wouldn't give me a loaner car" and things like that. I think that they may be less apt to do this, but you could always complain to BMW USA.

The one thing that the sales department can help you with is loaner cars. I am expecting to always get a 330i when I go in to get my car serviced, based on my relationship with the sales dept, but this may not be realistic. I am pretty sure I will get SOMETHING though. Hopefully you won't have any problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #10
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost8found
It won't matter really cause you'll be dealing directly with the service department, not sales at all.
yup, at one dealership I know, if you got it from them, they move you up on the list to be fixed and move you up on the list to get a loaner car. I guess to give their own customers better service.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 07:37 PM   #11
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

just remember to call the dealer befor you go so you can get a loner car, i think (thats what i have to do when there is a prob. with my sisters merc.)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 07:52 PM   #12
Heliskyr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionnv
Would you know if there is a listing of who is considered official by BMW, such as a link or something?

While I would expect the dealer would need to do any warranty-related work should the need arise, it would be nice to bring the car to a business that does only service for the scheduled maintenance-- my rationale being the success of their business is 100% dependent on how well they fix the cars and satisfy the customer.

Plus, there are more service shops than dealers in my area= more competition!

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 08:06 PM   #13
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliskyr
Would you know if there is a listing of who is considered official by BMW, such as a link or something?

While I would expect the dealer would need to do any warranty-related work should the need arise, it would be nice to bring the car to a business that does only service for the scheduled maintenance-- my rationale being the success of their business is 100% dependent on how well they fix the cars and satisfy the customer.

Plus, there are more service shops than dealers in my area= more competition!

Thanks for your help.
Pretty much 99.9% of the certified service centers are linked to a dealership even if they do not share the same building or street etc. The bmw shop near me is a 15 mins drive from the sales floor. You can see which ones you can go to at the bmw website and put in the dealer search that you looking for a certified service center.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #14
Heliskyr
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0