BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #45
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellwagen View Post
I haven't seen a single one and BMW is very popular where I live. Not as popular anymore due to the rise of Tesla, but due to the lack of a Tesla coupe the 4 series is not a rare sight here.
There's absolutely no denying that the front of the G2x 4 Series is polarizing to say the least, but the 4 Series Gran Coupe became the best selling 4 Series model shortly after its introduction, and that continues today. In my mind, the upcoming G26 4 Series Gran Coupe - and remember, that includes the all important i4 models - must obtain a sales rate similar to the outgoing F36 model. If it doesn't happen, that's when I start to look for an emergency redesign. But, until then, there's not much to conclude here.

Sure, there are plenty of F32 and F33 on the road, but two-door vehicle sales have declined appreciably since those models hit the market in 2013. Honestly, I think that all of the German automakers would be happy to see the personal coupe and convertible market finally give up the ghost. These are some of the last few coupes/convertibles with sedan siblings left in existence - hanging on for dear life. All of the Japanese examples are gone, all of the American examples are gone (though I suppose you could technically deem the Challenger a Charger sedan if you squint hard enough). What you have left in the two door market are genuine sports cars (everything from Miata to Porsche to super cars), pony cars, and these German dinosaurs. Mercedes is paring down their lineup from three (S, E, C) to just one (CLE), Audi already has just one (A5), and BMW is all but sure to have just one after the G1x 8 Series ends in 2025 (if not sooner). Fast forward a generation or two, sometime in the 2030s, they may very well finally disappear. We should expect to see sales continue to decline until then regardless of what the front end of the cars look like.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #46
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellwagen View Post
I haven't seen a single one and BMW is very popular where I live. Not as popular anymore due to the rise of Tesla, but due to the lack of a Tesla coupe the 4 series is not a rare sight here. The G22, however, is nowhere to be seen. The only time I saw one was a floor model M440i at Peter Pan BMW. And yes, I was the one who pointed it out to my family that "this is the ugly grille I told you about"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Same story here and I live in SoCal; haven't seen a single 4-series. I've only seen a handful of 2GCs as well.

Hopefully the public rejects these ridiculous cars. BMW is lost.
I am waiting for my M340i Performance as we speak. Also ordered a RS6. Waited for the M3 but the grill pushed me away. I regret that I have waited that much without buying a different car.
Even in this one I am working to get an Alpina grill as those "diamonds in the sky" won't do it for me...
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      12-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #47
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

I saw a black 4 series on the road recently, works fine lookswise in black color. I actually wouldn’t mind having one just because it’s polarizing and makes all the “purists” lose their shit in a few mile radius. It’ll become what Bangle designs have, you’ll see.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 01:32 AM   #48
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Unfortunately, it feels more like damage control at this point. I don't fault BMW with taking a design risk. Personally, I really don't like big grills on cars, but other people do like it. I think where they completely lost me was their idiotic ad campaign (especially the iX) which frankly came of as condescending and immature.

They basically dressed up this sentiment with nicer words: "Fuck you, buy it otherwise you're an out of touch geriatric with one foot in the grave". I'm 38, so it just comes off as insulting.
I am in my 50s and I feel the same way.
      12-17-2020, 01:33 AM   #49
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
I saw a black 4 series on the road recently, works fine lookswise in black color. I actually wouldn’t mind having one just because it’s polarizing and makes all the “purists” lose their shit in a few mile radius. It’ll become what Bangle designs have, you’ll see.
Humorously the Bangle butt BMWs to me are still the ugliest ever produced so not sure that will work for me
      12-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #50
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
No need to get worked up on this interview. What else did you expect him to say? Fall on his sword and admit that they goofed?
Design goof was bad enough. What was worse is that they came out with the PR campaign literally insulting all of us and implying that we have some serious personality disorders for not accepting their obnoxious and disjointed design language. I, for one, will not forget that.
I truly couldn't agree more. Even if I were to buy another BMW, I no longer think of myself as a fan of the brand.
Appreciate 0