BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

01-09-2021, 04:49 AM   #1
Mishta.Silva
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

BMW M235i GC Owners - Noise Issue

Hey guys,

Got my M235i GC 2 months ago.

Before I bought mine, I was loaned another for the weekend. That car felt and sounded great which is why I bought the one I have now.

My car has a horrid metallic sound on hard acceleration.
BMW has had my car for 2 weeks, and they are trying to tell me that the sound is normal. However they can't tell me where the sound is coming from or what is making it. Just that they've had a "few" complaints and that they've deemed it normal.

They have another M235i GC at the dealer and that one also does it, but the one I was loaned made no noise.

I don't have a sound clip or a video to show you guys atm - sorry.

I will try and explain it.

it's a continuation of the same sound note ending and beginning in succession... the successions and volume of the note speeds up and heightens the harder you accelerate...

The noise is quite loud when driving it next to a barrier or wall with the window open. This happens mostly on pull off under medium to hard acceleration. The noise is also louder while the car is cold, but it can also be heard when hot.
I can't hear the noise with the windows closed or without a wall or barrier to reflect the sound back to me. The car has to be under reasonable acceleration.

I was leaving my place of work and I heard it for the first time when gunning it a bit... mates were all outside watching... and listening....

Car will not make the noise under regular stationary acceleration or under low load.

Could the M235i GC owners in this forum please check their cars for the sound?

I'd appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
CSD979967
Private
Rep

Was the noise coming from the front two wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
Mishta.Silva
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD979967 View Post
It does sound like it's coming from the front end of the car...
If you heard the noise, you'd know what noise
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
CSD979967
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishta.Silva View Post
Quote:
Aye I had this noise in my car when it experienced the cold for the first time, was a bit strange it got worse accelerating and braking but it eventually wore off. Next day was colder at like -3 degrees so gave it a drive and it never appeared again... strange.

Not sure what it is exactly but it's not there anymore for me...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 04:51 PM   #5
Mishta.Silva
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Aye I had this noise in my car when it experienced the cold for the first time, was a bit strange it got worse accelerating and braking but it eventually wore off. Next day was colder at like -3 degrees so gave it a drive and it never appeared again... strange.

Hmmm... I wish I had a sound clip of the noise... I've never heard it on braking... only on hard acceleration...
It is worse when the engine is cold, and it would make sense for your car to be a bit worse because it was -3... I live in aus, it's like 30 c degrees here
Thanks for letting me know though.. really just want the noise gone... and if not many other people are experiencing it... it's not "normal"
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
CSD979967
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm... I wish I had a sound clip of the noise... I've never heard it on braking... only on hard acceleration...
It is worse when the engine is cold, and it would make sense for your car to be a bit worse because it was -3... I live in aus, it's like 30 c degrees here
Thanks for letting me know though.. really just want the noise gone... and if not many other people are experiencing it... it's not "normal"
Definitely not normal don't know why they're stating that. Don't think any car that sounds like it's dragging plates and cutlery along the ground sounds normal hahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
fabrice1k
Rep
Drives: BMW F44

I don't have this strange noise. Could it be the Active Sound Design?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
Mishta.Silva
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice1k View Post
I don't have this strange noise. Could it be the Active Sound Design?
You mean the speaker engine sound? Nah, definitely not... it sounds really metallic and like a part is not working correctly.

I can't hear the sound if the windows are closed... they need to be open and it needs the sounds needs to bounce of a wall or barrier for it to be heard.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:40 AM   #9
ayyooblaher@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i F40 xDRIVE

Quote:
I have experienced a similar issue, but the noise comes when i break (I have a M135I xDRIVE) This has also happened when the weather was cold and rainy. A day before i had the rims on the car changed and drove the car through out the day but no noise (weather was sunny).
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 01:06 AM   #10
jmurchison72
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive Coupe

Same issue

Exact same issue here. I took mine back to Brisbane BMW and they also confirmed it's "normal". According to them the 1 series with the same motor has the same issue. The mechanic suggested it could be the timing belt tensioner compensating for the change in RPM... it honestly sounds like hydraulic lifters not keeping up or something to do with the turbo boost adjustment... who knows! Either way it doesn't sound good...

I'd love to hear any feed back/experiences other owners have.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:40 AM   #11
jmurchison72
Rep

Same Problem

Hey Mishta.Silva, just checking to see if you found a solution to this problem. I'm starting to get a little worried since some do have the issue and others don't..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #12
Mishta.Silva
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurchison72 View Post
Hey Mishta.Silva, just checking to see if you found a solution to this problem. I'm starting to get a little worried since some do have the issue and others don't..
Quote:
Hey jmurchison72,
So I made a big stink about it - and ended up getting an additional years warranty to show how confident the dealership is that it's "normal". This hasn't really tickled me in the slightest, because even though BMW only offers 3 years - the ACCC commands them to fix any major failures within a reasonable time - which all their other competitors offer a "reasonable" longer warranty.
Never the less, I have now reported it to BMW AU, but they seem to be just pushing me back to the dealership - eg. Just pushing emails around.
I've asked to speak to someone more senior at BMW AU, but I have not been granted that wish yet.
Maybe let BMW AU know that you're having the same issue with it? It seems the only chance we have is to have everyone complain so that hopefully they see a problem and do something about it.
I'm quite disappointed in this brand at the moment - and I've been loyal to BMW forever….
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:23 PM   #13
jmurchison72
Rep

Update

Just letting everyone know that I also kicked up a stink and was told that they're investigating the issue, with a possible engineering solution due this quarter. It seems I'm not the only one complaining...it was something to do with the Turbo/Boost control linkages. I'll post more when they update me.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 06:54 AM   #14
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

Yes turbo actuator rattle, common to a few cars it seems..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 01:00 AM   #15
avocalex
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Hey jmurchison72,
So I made a big stink about it - and ended up getting an additional years warranty to show how confident the dealership is that it's "normal". This hasn't really tickled me in the slightest, because even though BMW only offers 3 years - the ACCC commands them to fix any major failures within a reasonable time - which all their other competitors offer a "reasonable" longer warranty.
Never the less, I have now reported it to BMW AU, but they seem to be just pushing me back to the dealership - eg. Just pushing emails around.
I've asked to speak to someone more senior at BMW AU, but I have not been granted that wish yet.
Maybe let BMW AU know that you're having the same issue with it? It seems the only chance we have is to have everyone complain so that hopefully they see a problem and do something about it.
I'm quite disappointed in this brand at the moment - and I've been loyal to BMW forever….
Fortunately never had this issue on my side but have you heard back from BMW and get it resolved?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 04:15 AM   #16
Edo135
Rep
Drives: 2021 m135i xdrive f40

Same issue on 135i even after engine replacement !!

Hi guys, same issue here on a 135i from Italy. Been going back and forth with my local BMW dealer for a long now who, open your ears wide, says they've also replaced the entire motor + turbo, but the car still makes the exact same rattle (which is like a "trrrrrrr" which for me comes, as you already described, either from the turbo/ downpipe area and increases together with the speed) as before ! It's been doing this since day one of partial/ full throttle accelerations (so under mid/high load conditions when the turbo spools) after having done the break - in period as per BMW manual. At first the dealer couldn''t understand where the issue was coming from and so they waited the evaluation from a BMW inspector who agreed that the noise was there and made them change some piping; useless. After this, BMW agreed for the engine + turbo replacement and they kept the car for a whole month. Once i recollected the car and done the break - in once again, as a new engine was in, at the first pull i immediately noticed the issue AGAIN. At this point i decided to write directly to BMW ITALY which, after bouncing me back to the dealer to make them test the car AGAIN a couple of times, sent a new inspector for a new test drive and guess what? For him everything was normal.

Now, since it seems i'm not the only one experiencing this, i would like to post here a clip from a video i made where this noise can be hear well so that you can confirm if, as i suspect, it's the same you guys have. With this infos i'll try to come back at the dealer once again because i paid for the car and if has a confirmed issue they have to fix it and not try to convince me that i'm wrong when the are, no matter what.
How can i upload the clip here?

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:58 PM   #17
jmurchison72
Rep

Hey Edo135, Just reply back to this post and click on the paperclip icon above the text box. I'll try to get a clip going as well, but it's pretty hard with the wind noise and all that. I'm considering putting my mobile under the bonnet to really catch the noise.

Also I'm shocked to hear that a complete Engine replacement + Turbo didn't fix the problem! It makes me think there's an Engineering problem with F44's, and most (if not all) have the same issue. The difference is, I live in a warm climate and often have the windows down, which is the only time you can hear the noise, unless you're outside the car or driving through a tunnel.

And to answer the other question if they've addressed it, no is the simple answer. The service manager at my local here in Brisbane is keeping an eye out for the service bulletin, once available, he'll contact me. But I'm not letting this one side...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 11:01 PM   #18
jmurchison72
Rep

B48 - F4x

Sorry Edo135, I shouldn't say all F44's, I should say all F4X's with B48 motors. That includes the M135 xdrive, which my service center also tested and confirmed it makes the same noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 12:30 AM   #19
Mishta.Silva
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocalex View Post
Quote:
Hey jmurchison72,
Fortunately never had this issue on my side but have you heard back from BMW and get it resolved?
Nope - BMW Sydney and Parramatta have both looked at it and deemed it as normal - they're unwilling to do anything else about it.

BMW Australia just kept pushing me back to the dealers so I gave up with them.

Fair trade told me to get an assessment done by an independent mechanic but I haven't done that yet.

I wonder if resale value will be effected by this - if I was not aware that the 135 and 235i make this noise and test drove a second hand car and it made this noise, I wouldn't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 12:39 AM   #20
jmurchison72
Rep

Hi All, another update. When I received my car back from the rear brake replacement.. yes another noise They advised on the Engineering fix. They told me they'd contact me when it's available, but I thought I'd share the code they provided. BMW call it a "Measure" : 20000779619997-02

Quote "Rattle type noise from the engine under acceleration. Road tested vehicle and confirmed noise. Found Measure 20000779619997-02. BMW have confirmed engine noise and suspect turbo wastegate noise. They are currently in the progress of supplying and permanent fix for this issue. Will keep Customer updated." End Quote
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 01:21 PM   #21
Gemma001
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
I think so
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #22
Edo135
Rep
Drives: 2021 m135i xdrive f40

Video of the rattle

Quote:
Hi All, another update. When I received my car back from the rear brake replacement.. yes another noise They advised on the Engineering fix. They told me they'd contact me when it's available, but I thought I'd share the code they provided. BMW call it a "Measure" : 20000779619997-02

Quote "Rattle type noise from the engine under acceleration. Road tested vehicle and confirmed noise. Found Measure 20000779619997-02. BMW have confirmed engine noise and suspect turbo wastegate noise. They are currently in the progress of supplying and permanent fix for this issue. Will keep Customer updated." End Quote
Hi guys,

Sorry for not replying earlier, been busy at work. I managed to take a better video and here you can here the noise very well. I uploaded it to Youtube: https://youtube.com/shorts/B-Jsiy_dTf4?feature=share Listen to the "trrrrr" coming from the right front side of the car.

Let me know if this is the same as what you're hearing, but i'm pretty sure it is.

jmurchison72 can you confirm that this noise is the same you have on your car and for which BMW Brisbane has told you to be a " measure 20000779619997-02 " engine noise and suspect turbo wastegate noise and that they (BMW) are currently in the progress of supplying a permanent fix for this issue? Because then i'll ask my dealer why no one has ever even tried to check if there was a possible recall in sight for this.

Many thanks once again to all of you an i really hope we can move something together to have this fixed.
Appreciate 0