BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

10-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
MASSBmw
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Corvette, 2020 M235i

Active grill shutters

I backed my 2020 M235i into the garage the other day to get a different perspective of it as I pass by it throughout the day. My eyes keep being drawn to that plastic shield behind the grill. Apparently the proper term is active grill shutter? which is designed to open/close depending on engine needs? Honestly it feels a little flimsy when I touch it. A few questions: does it open and close? what happens if it’s hot out and it fails to open? What about in snowy, icy conditions; it may not need the cool air intake around town but couldn’t it jam/burnout if it’s needed to open? What if it was removed I think the car would look better without it. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSBmw View Post
I backed my 2020 M235i into the garage the other day to get a different perspective of it as I pass by it throughout the day. My eyes keep being drawn to that plastic shield behind the grill. Apparently the proper term is active grill shutter? which is designed to open/close depending on engine needs? Honestly it feels a little flimsy when I touch it. A few questions: does it open and close? what happens if it’s hot out and it fails to open? What about in snowy, icy conditions; it may not need the cool air intake around town but couldn’t it jam/burnout if it’s needed to open? What if it was removed I think the car would look better without it. Thoughts?
Yes it opens and closes, no you cannot remove it as it's a emissions control device and will give you a check engine light if removed.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
MASSBmw
Registered
United_States
Rep

Very interesting thanks for the info. I wonder if it could somehow remain open or does it only open partially? Not really looking for additional performance I just think it looks cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:20 AM   #4
cbat2aus
Rep
Drives: 2015 118d

Not to be a jerk but probably something to be investigating before purchasing? I think all BMWs or most do this now.

Don’t worry about it, you don’t see it when driving and a guarantee no one else notices.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:52 AM   #5
MASSBmw
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbat2aus View Post
Not to be a jerk but probably something to be investigating before purchasing? I think all BMWs or most do this now.

Don’t worry about it, you don’t see it when driving and a guarantee no one else notices.
Ok sorry for asking the question but thanks anyway to BlownNSX for answering it. So relieved that I don’t have to worry about what other people think of my car’s active grill shutters.
Appreciate 0