BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions First BMW

02-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
alanwillk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota RAV4 XLE

First BMW

I want to get into a bmw! I've been following leasehackr and found a broker. He found a demo 530i with MSRP of $58k that I could get for $500 a month pre tax with only first DAS. It seems like a good deal but I'm not in love with the car. Kinda want something cooler like from the m line up. Should I jump on this chance or keep looking around.

Side note: I bought a brand new small suv a few months ago so not in a rush. But just not in love with the rav4 [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:34 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
You sound like you should take a step back and figure out what you want and try to walk before you run.

The 5-Series is a very wide range with a more than $50K spread between trims. You’ll get a very different experience from a 530i on the lower end compared to the M5 CS at the top end. Notice I said different and not better or worse. The entire lineup can make sense based on the constraints you have and what you would be optimizing for. Daily driving a M5 CS in Philly would be stupid unless you literally have so much money that burning it gets boring. Likewise, a 530i could feel limiting if you have great roads, little congestion, and another car to daily so you want a weekend fun car that can also carry the family.

IMHO don’t chase the image for your BMW. Pick a fun car that you enjoy driving from the lineup.
Appreciate 5
      02-03-2021, 10:43 PM   #3
alanwillk
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
You sound like you should take a step back and figure out what you want and try to walk before you run.

The 5-Series is a very wide range with a more than $50K spread between trims. You'll get a very different experience from a 530i on the lower end compared to the M5 CS at the top end. Notice I said different and not better or worse. The entire lineup can make sense based on the constraints you have and what you would be optimizing for. Daily driving a M5 CS in Philly would be stupid unless you literally have so much money that burning it gets boring. Likewise, a 530i could feel limiting if you have great roads, little congestion, and another car to daily so you want a weekend fun car that can also carry the family.

IMHO don't chase the image for your BMW. Pick a fun car that you enjoy driving from the lineup.
I really appreciate your honest and thoughtful response. I think you're right. Any suggestions on How to figure out which car in the lineup suits me? Other than just going to a dealership in trying some out?
Appreciate 1
1badTKE23.50
      02-03-2021, 11:14 PM   #4
1badTKE
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i; 2017 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwillk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post

The 5-Series is a very wide range with a more than $50K spread between trims. You'll get a very different experience from a 530i on the lower end compared to the M5 CS at the top end. Notice I said different and not better or worse. The entire lineup can make sense based on the constraints you have and what you would be optimizing for. Daily driving a M5 CS in Philly would be stupid unless you literally have so much money that burning it gets boring. Likewise, a 530i could feel limiting if you have great roads, little congestion, and another car to daily so you want a weekend fun car that can also carry the family.

IMHO don't chase the image for your BMW. Pick a fun car that you enjoy driving from the lineup.
I really appreciate your honest and thoughtful response. I think you're right. Any suggestions on How to figure out which car in the lineup suits me? Other than just going to a dealership in trying some out?
Nope. You hit the nail on the head. You need to test drive and look at colors and options. Obviously the 530 4cyl and 540 6 cyl engines have a huge impact on the "fun to drive" factor. And the fuel economy and weekly overhead—as stated above if you're in a congested city vs rural areas.

As well... the The M suspension, xDrive or standard RWD ... they all feel 100% different.

The 18", 19", and 20" rims all ride differently.

The various interiors all have small nuances and feels.

Have fun and let the dealers compete for your business—especially as you state you're not in a rush. Wait and find the BMW that you "love". It'll make you smile and look back each time you park and walk away from the car.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Any suggestions on How to figure out which car in the lineup suits me? Other than just going to a dealership in trying some out?
Well, you can read reviews from major automotive magazines, but there's no substitute for driving the car yourself.

Go drive a 540i and a 550. Sounds like the M5 may be out of your financial comfort zone, and they likely wouldn't want you to drive it anyway.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
f30modern
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i M sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Quote:
Any suggestions on How to figure out which car in the lineup suits me? Other than just going to a dealership in trying some out?
Well, you can read reviews from major automotive magazines, but there's no substitute for driving the car yourself.

Go drive a 540i and a 550. Sounds like the M5 may be out of your financial comfort zone, and they likely wouldn't want you to drive it anyway.
That's funny I had just bought a 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid limited. I was just test driving and the salesperson said if you don't like return it in 3 days. I took it to on my daily commute and hated the 2 hour round trip drive. The suv kept hunting for gears felt anemic and had hard seats.

I returned the RAV 4 and then went over to the BMW and got a 540i Msport CPO for half off of msrp. I may feel it financially every month but I am in love with my 5 series as no compromises were made.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

If your not in love with the car don't get it. You want your first BMW to be a good and special experience, not one that you have to grow to love (which may or may not happen). Look around some more and test drive models with different engines, options/packages, etc and see which one fits your needs/wants and then try to find a deal on a 5er similar to that.
Appreciate 1
1badTKE23.50
      02-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #8
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30modern View Post
That's funny I had just bought a 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid limited. I was just test driving and the salesperson said if you don't like return it in 3 days.
Dang. I wish I had that option on the M2.

I would have brought that puppy back in 3 hours, not 3 days.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #9
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C

As far as opinion and recommendation goes, I think 540i sits very well especially with xDrive. Another best part is that if you think it's not enough power, you tune it and it opens up. Depending on what your pockets allows and what you can afford will most likely be the main deciding factors but test drive 530/40/m550 and see which one fits your budget.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
alanwillk
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30modern View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That's funny I had just bought a 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid limited. I was just test driving and the salesperson said if you don't like return it in 3 days. I took it to on my daily commute and hated the 2 hour round trip drive. The suv kept hunting for gears felt anemic and had hard seats.

I returned the RAV 4 and then went over to the BMW and got a 540i Msport CPO for half off of msrp. I may feel it financially every month but I am in love with my 5 series as no compromises were made.
That's a good description of the rav...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 02:48 AM   #11
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Question

Quote:
Dang. I wish I had that option on the M2.

I would have brought that puppy back in 3 hours, not 3 days.
This statement got me really curious... Please elaborate on your dislike of the M2.
      02-08-2021, 06:31 AM   #12
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
This statement got me really curious... Please elaborate on your dislike of the M2.
My M2 had the port installed MPE, Motorsports Performance Exhaust. It was loud, loud, loud and had a terrible drone. I did not notice this on the test drive. I drove several M2s at the track at the BMW Performance Center, none of which had this exhaust. It sucked. The car has terrible road noise, which I attributed to the lousy section of road that I drove on during my test drive. At the track, on those lovely smoothly paved surfaces, I didn't notice it.

Also, the ride was just stupid stiff. I've owned several M5s and an M3 before, so I know "M" suspensions are firm, but this was stupid. The car hopped on bad pavement. Ditto above, didn't notice on test drive and didn't experience it at the track.

Yes, I could have ripped out the exhaust and replaced it at a cost of many thousands of dollars; I could have ripped out and replaced the suspension at a substantial cost and unknown result, and I did in fact spend a fair amount of money and a lot of time adding in the missing sound insulation. But after about 18 months, I'd had enough of it, and sold it.

FWIW the guy that bought it from me did put in the Dinan suspension.

It's entirely my own fault, I should have test driven it more. I let myself get caught up in the excitement of buying a new car, one that (at the time) was difficult to find and even more difficult to purchase at a discount.
Appreciate 1
MauiSteve290.00
      02-08-2021, 08:14 AM   #13
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Thank you LuvMyE92 for that response! I have been reading in the M2 forums a lot due to my interest in potentially adding a fun car with a manual transmission. Negative reviews of the M2 are pretty uncommon, and it is often considered the present best in the M lineup by many reviewers. It is however always good to hear out an opposing view point.

As to the Dinan suspension for the M2... they claim it adds 18% stiffer spring rates to the front and 5% stiffer in the rear. Stupid stiff plus plus for some I guess.

The M2 re-design comes in 2022.
      02-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #14
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
Thank you LuvMyE92 for that response! I have been reading in the M2 forums a lot due to my interest in potentially adding a fun car with a manual transmission. Negative reviews of the M2 are pretty uncommon, and it is often considered the present best in the M lineup by many reviewers. It is however always good to hear out an opposing view point.

As to the Dinan suspension for the M2... they claim it adds 18% stiffer spring rates to the front and 5% stiffer in the rear. Stupid stiff plus plus for some I guess.

The M2 re-design comes in 2022.
M2 is definitely the best BMW on sale at the moment. Wife and I had one for a short period of time before it was totaled. Great driving car, but like LuvMyE92 says the MPE exhaust can be somewhat obvious (we stayed stock, although the S55 in general is very mediocre in exhaust) and the suspension is harsh. BMW really can't figure out a good ride and handling balance with a lot of their cars lately, especially the M SUV's.
Appreciate 0