Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > ContiSportContact 2 RFT not good???

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d

Question ContiSportContact 2 RFT not good???

Hi guys,

My E91 was delivered with ContiSportContact 2 RFT tyres (225/45/17 on stye 159 wheels). Since I took delivery at the end of November last year , I haven't driven them yet (since I directly mounted winter tyres - perfect Bridgestone LM-22 RFT's in size 205/55/16 on aftermarket 16' alu rims), but I am planning on mounting my summer wheels next week. On the website of auto, motor und sport (www.auto-motor-und-sport.de) however, I read a short test of RFT tyres and it appeared that the Conti's were the worst of the test.

Does anyone else have good/bad experiences with these tyres? If they appear to be bad, I think I will go back to the dealer and ask for replacement. I have been looking at style 162,195 or 199 18' wheels as well...

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thats strange, the couple people I have spoken too with those tires say they are very nice

Why does the test say they are no good ? ( you have to pay to download it )
      03-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

I haven't paid for the download. I am waiting for the magazine in Dutch to be published. I assume that the test will be published in the April edition of the Dutch magazine since it is not yet in the March one.

I also thought that the Conti's were good, so I was quite happy that they were mounted...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vant
I haven't paid for the download. I am waiting for the magazine in Dutch to be published. I assume that the test will be published in the April edition of the Dutch magazine since it is not yet in the March one.

I also thought that the Conti's were good, so I was quite happy that they were mounted...
Don't know about the run flat versions, but the conti's overall are an average tire, IMO. I have had generally bad luck with conti's on my E46 M3 and VW Touareg. Noise, poor dry grip and premature wear. Given my experiences, I wouldn't accept a car with them and I certainly wouldn't pay for them as a replacement tire.

That being said, they did score well in a Recent tire test. Namely on the strength of their wet road performance and tire wear rating.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I've got the Conti's on my E90 325i with 17" 158 wheels and I think they are a good tyre. I don't have anything to reference them to except for my old car's Pirelli P6000s but the car handles really well. Acceleration off the line in the wet can make them spin and I made the rears chirp round a corner in the dry once at relitavely low speed, but other than that I think they are a good tyre.

And although the treadwear rating doesn't mean much between manufacurers, the Conti's have 240 and all of the other runflats have 140. Mine still look pretty new after 6000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Since Jan. production, some of the E91 for the NA market are being equipped with ContiProContact SSR (self-supporting runflat) on style 159 wheels. These are a new generation performance all season; they may not be offered in Europe, since the Euro market does not prefer all seasons. Tirerack has tested these tires in the non-run flat version; they are highly rated in all categories (road, track dry and wet braking, etc.). Like all tire manufacturers, some of their tire designs will perform much better than others from the same manufacturer. You can't generalize when it comes to any one tire manufacturer. There are so many variables.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M3Driver
Don't know about the run flat versions, but the conti's overall are an average tire, IMO. I have had generally bad luck with conti's on my E46 M3 and VW Touareg. Noise, poor dry grip and premature wear. Given my experiences, I wouldn't accept a car with them and I certainly wouldn't pay for them as a replacement tire.

That being said, they did score well in a Recent tire test. Namely on the strength of their wet road performance and tire wear rating.

Thank you for the input E30M3Driver. Althought the Conti's ended second in the test, apparently, the subjective impression of the test drivers wasn't too good after all. I'm wondering what the German test points out as reasons for the last place in the test...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS
Since Jan. production, some of the E91 for the NA market are being equipped with ContiProContact SSR (self-supporting runflat) on style 159 wheels. These are a new generation performance all season; they may not be offered in Europe, since the Euro market does not prefer all seasons. Tirerack has tested these tires in the non-run flat version; they are highly rated in all categories (road, track dry and wet braking, etc.). Like all tire manufacturers, some of their tire designs will perform much better than others from the same manufacturer. You can't generalize when it comes to any one tire manufacturer. There are so many variables.

Thank you DerekS. As you point out yourself, it often depends on the design whether or not tyres of a manufacturer perform good or bad. I was happy with the Conti's since the non-run-flat version of the SportContact 2 scored very good in a test of the same German magazine. Apparently, adding the SSR to them, didn't do any good... Or the competitors have become stronger...
Appreciate 0