E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Office Story: 330i now a low end model? Funny

11-05-2006, 02:51 PM   #45
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742
Yep, it is not the lower end of the line. It is an out of production used car-- just like my 325
Of course it is...but only here....where BMWNA likes to suck $$$$ out of everyone.
In the rest of the world, the 325 & 330 are still around and in production.

I find it out of place for a Honda Accord owner to downplay a 330 simply because there is a much greater market in the U.S. for the higher end BMW models. In many parts of Europe a 323 is considered a rich man's car, where you will rarely see a 330, let alone a 335. But you will see plenty of V6 Accords because they are not considered that exclusive. Therefore a generalizing description like "entry level" or "average" just doesn't cut it IMO. The guy who makes this kind of comment either doesn't see the bigger picture, or is playing stupid and using this to take jabs at someone that clearly drives a better car than a Honda Accord.

Last edited by RichReg; 11-05-2006 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #46
Traceaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
Exactly, the entire 3 series is a low cost entry level opportunity to a prestiege brand
I have to agree, the entire 3 series line is an entry level opportunity to a prestige brand. I'm proud of the 335i and think its a sweet car, but I also think "its just a 3-series, come on" and that keeps me in check, so it seems to be a good balance. It's not just a great car for the money, it's a great car. But, it's not like we're talking about a P-car. We're not even talking the nicest car in the BMW lineup. But, it's one of the lightest, where the 5 and 7 seem like boats to me, and I don't need to haul around 4 or 5 people all the time, so no need for them.

For my money, I couldn't find anything else in the 46k-52k range that fit what I wanted. (My 335i was just a hair over 48k MSRP). The 3 series is still just a 3 series, but I view it as a good compromise between an excellent car, but also a pretty good value (especially for a BMW). Like many people on this forum, I could afford a nicer car, but I chose to put more money into things that will appreciate than depreciate. When I start looking at cars over 50k, the common sense side of my brain starts to kick in and say "do you really want to put that much money into a depreciating asset? How smart is that? Come on!" Now, not to say that the EMOTIONAL side of my brain my outweight the RATIONAL side of my brain one of these days (probably the day I pick up an E92 M3 or RS4 or something. ha!). I do think the 3 series is a good balance though. That doesnt mean I should drive a Hyundai or something even cheaper as I feel I deserve something a little nicer for working hard, but it also means there's no need to buy a 5-series or 7-series just because I can. I think a lot of 3-series owners fall into this category, buying a great car but not overpriced, a fair value, and a good balance on amount of car received vs. money spent.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #47
yellowg555
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroday
Exactly. I purposely didn't tell my boss OR his boss that I bought a new BMW. Even if it's just a 3 series.
That is one thing I seriously tried to avoid when I got my car. I didn't tell anyone. I got away with it for about a week until the word spread. Then, people gave me crap like "How much is your boss paying you?", "Your department got any openings?", etc etc.
      11-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #48
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowg555
That is one thing I seriously tried to avoid when I got my car. I didn't tell anyone. I got away with it for about a week until the word spread. Then, people gave me crap like "How much is your boss paying you?", "Your department got any openings?", etc etc.
I've ran into this a little as well. Although I work for my family business and we don't have the employees to really say anything, let alone I am the boss pretty much . I have had friends and acquaintinces say the usual, "when can I be hired?" or "do I get a BMW for working there too?", I just laugh and shrug it off.

Quote:
Unfortunately this whole thread seems to be predicated on members who think that driving a 40K car is something special or even worth discussing. Almost anyone can have one if they so want so what does it prove? There are plenty of broke 20 somethings driving 3 series and millionaires driving accords. I know which I'd rather be.
BTW you're annoying. How old are you? Are you the jelous one for having a 325 at your age knowing there kids younger than you that have one? Everytime you've said something, you've danced around the topic while dropping the fact that the 3 series is a lesser model. You're also apparently not a millionaire because you would be driving an accord, right?

And it's not these 20 something kids are "broke", they either 1 have generous parents, which isn't their fault, would you have turned down a BMW from your parents at their age? I doubt it. or 2 make a good salary and have the disposable income to afford a 3 series. I fall under #2.

Also the OP's boss is a joke. My old boss when I worked for the cleveland indians gave me the jelous/envious look when he found out I had gotten a BMW, when I stopped in to pick up my stuff when I decided to full time work for the family business. Don't worry what other people think, that's what works the best.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #49
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud
BTW you're annoying. How old are you? Are you the jelous one for having a 325 at your age knowing there kids younger than you that have one? Everytime you've said something, you've danced around the topic while dropping the fact that the 3 series is a lesser model. You're also apparently not a millionaire because you would be driving an accord, right?
I am simply providing some balance to those on this board who believe the 3 series is some wonder symbol of success and wealth. As I have remarked many times, someone earning the average wage in the USA could afford to lease one judging by posts in other threads.

I drive a 325 because it is provided by my company.

Maybe it is just the world I live in but quite the majority of people I know drive considerably more expensive cars than the 3 series but yet don't try to make a big dela out of it.
      11-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #50
krazykanuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 IS300

Garage List
2004 IS300  [0.00]
2004 IS300  [0.00]
Quote:
Maybe it is just the world I live in but quite the majority of people I know drive considerably more expensive cars than the 3 series but yet don't try to make a big dela out of it.
It's not just your world that is like that, mine too. I know a guy in his mid 50s that has a Gallardo and Arnage T and cares less about his cars than some of the people on here seem to. He just doesn't make a big deal of them. To most people cars are just cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 02:26 AM   #51
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00
Average cost of a vehicle sold in the US today is ~$29k. 3-series are great cars but they are no top end/unique machine. They sell over half a million of these things worldwide each year and accounts for 35-40% of total BMW sales.
Sorry, don't believe it. Please state your source.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 03:58 AM   #52
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22
Then this week one of the managers purposely spoke out really loudly so everyone could hear and said so I guess your 330i is just an average lower end model now that the 335i is out.
Two years ago, MB launched the 3.5 litre engine to replace its 320 line of models with a power increase from 218hp to 275hp. They also added the 7G-Tronic and implemented Direct Control Package to all the high displacement engine models. Pretty much similar (some MB features even better) to what you get from a E92/E90 335i - 50hp more, an enhanced 6sp auto tranny, which every model will have it in future.

However, the class of a C320/C350, E320/E350, S320/S350 do not change. They are still priced almost the same. The equivalent higher class MB models are C55, E550, S550. In the BMW case, the only higher end model of the 3er is the M3 E92/E90 due to launch in 2007.

Hence, 330i was a high-end model and is still the high-end model for 3er (even more obvious if your country could have the number of 320i and 323i like others do). Regardless if the 330i were stopped production or not, it will just have the same class as the 335i. I recall I did not notice C320 owners were rushing off to get a C350, at least not for paying 20% more. The obvious thing BMW has done right is to have a smooth 40kg/m torque engine for our beloved non-M 3er.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.

Last edited by cntlaw; 11-06-2006 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #53
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It's not just your world that is like that, mine too. I know a guy in his mid 50s that has a Gallardo and Arnage T and cares less about his cars than some of the people on here seem to. He just doesn't make a big deal of them. To most people cars are just cars.
It is great to find others on this board who have the same experience. Even though most deny it, there are clear signs to me of many on this board buying a BMW to stroke their ego.
      11-06-2006, 06:14 AM   #54
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
It is great to find others on this board who have the same experience. Even though most deny it, there are clear signs to me of many on this board buying a BMW to stroke their ego.
Best comment in this thread. Once upon a time owning a BMW implied an interest in cars and driving. Now it seems to imply an interest in oneself.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 06:42 AM   #55
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

I think anyone that needs to psycho-analyze someone on an Internet board that is supposed to be used for car enthusiasts needs some therapy for him/herself.

Lighten up guys, although they are out there, I see few if any egotistical comments in this thread.
Just because voodoo22's boss likes to antagnoize him, doesn't mean we should do that to each other.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 07:10 AM   #56
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
I am simply providing some balance to those on this board who believe the 3 series is some wonder symbol of success and wealth.
I, for one, appreciate your crusade to provide balance. After having read your seven posts in this thread, I'm not sure you've accomplished your task. It might take eight or even nine. Please continue until equilibrium has been attained.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #57
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I am simply providing some balance to those on this board who believe the 3 series is some wonder symbol of success and wealth. As I have remarked many times, someone earning the average wage in the USA could afford to lease one judging by posts in other threads.

I drive a 325 because it is provided by my company.

Now that you have come to explain yourself, I can understand your point. It was your whitty coments bashing on a particular group of people that was getting to me.

I tend to fall in that group depending on the scale you use. Does a 23 y/o escape the younger group or am I allowed to be considered an adult? I do still believe even the 3 series can be used to gauge some form of success. Although now skewed, it still is not as easy a car to just walk in and buy.

I respect the balance you are trying to attain. The main problem is the balance you are tying to set can be transfered to every car made. There are people buying Hyundai Elantra's or 911 Turbos who shouldn't be buying it. It's all relative, just the scale that changes.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #58
Raayman
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
First thought that came to my mind when I read your reaction was "I must be living in the wrong neighbourhood".

I can't speak for any of the others, but I tend to think I work quite hard for my money, and I have the advantage now that I can drive a nice car like this through my company. I would never purchase a car like a 335i privately because I can't afford it, or am not willing to give up other things just to be able to drive a BMW.

I don't know what the average salary is in the USA, but my salary here combined with the prices of new cars are just not compatible with a Gallardo when I'm 50. I don't have a bad paycheck, but unless I drop everything else I'm not going to be able to buy a car like that.

Stating that this is 'absolutely normal' makes me wonder.... This might be the case in your neigbourhood, but I dare to say that this is not by any means something that everyone can accomplish easily. As said, maybe I just need to move...?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #59
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Plymouth Volare

I bought my 335i hoping to return to the performance and feel I fell in love with on my 1996 z3 (minus the miniscule 1.9 engine of course ). It handled amazingly and felt as if it was carved out of a single piece of metal it was so solid. When I heard BMW was coming out with a TT coupe I knew I had to have one. I could care less about impressing anyone with it which is why I got an understated color. My last sports car was a nissan 350z..defintely not a car a brand whore would buy .
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #60
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Unfortunately this whole thread seems to be predicated on members who think that driving a 40K car is something special or even worth discussing. Almost anyone can have one if they so want so what does it prove? There are plenty of broke 20 somethings driving 3 series and millionaires driving accords. I know which I'd rather be.
"almost anyone" can have a 40k car? are you for real? keep in mind the average salary per person in the U.S. is $37k. maybe you live in a prissy ass area where people live in shacks with no electricity and drive BMW's. but to anyone that can prioritize their life (most of us), the average salary isn't really going to cover the cost of living + a $40k car. at least if you're not a complete idiot.

a 330 is an awesome car, and is plenty to brag about to a cocky boss who thinks his FWD econobox accord is sick. especially if you worked over three years while cutting corners on other stuff to get your 330, which "most people" would have to do to ever own a bmw.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 10:47 AM   #61
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I'm siding with whippersnapper on this.

to herbz: it's not that hard to own a 40k car, a lot of people lease, and return the car after a few years. Not everyone is as sensible as you, some people forego nice houses for a nice car, not everyone's priority is like yours, so it's fathomable to say what whippersnapper said.
Quote:
      11-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #62
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's all relative!! Depends on where you live etc.

Here's an example; my 50 yr old neighbor ran over with his camera and took pictures of my car to show his buddies the day I got it He was more excited than I was about it...sorta doubt that would have happened if it was an Accord being that an Accord is the average kind of vehicle you will find in my neighborhood. It's when you go beyond the norm that people notice.

I own my own home in a middle class neighborhood with an average housing cost of about 300k. If I lived in a neighborhood with 500k$ houses this probably would not have happened unless I bought a 60k+ car.

DISCLAIMER: since I'm certain 'someone' here will say since I live in a middle class house I should drive an average middle class car and i've somehow 'overextended' myself or have my priorities out of whack, here's my deal. I'm single and could have bought a much nicer house but don't need the room. As it is I use 1/2 my house. If I decide to buy a nicer house I will still be able to afford it AND my BMW. I leased my BMW NOT because I couldnt afford to buy it but becuase the used car market sucks and I like to change cars alot. I've had 15 cars in the past 15 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #63
Russellnyc
Razor sharp handling
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz
"almost anyone" can have a 40k car? are you for real? keep in mind the average salary per person in the U.S. is $37k. maybe you live in a prissy ass area where people live in shacks with no electricity and drive BMW's. but to anyone that can prioritize their life (most of us), the average salary isn't really going to cover the cost of living + a $40k car. at least if you're not a complete idiot.
Mean annual salary in New York for business and finance jobs is $73k, and salaries here are highest in the nation.
http://nyjobsource.com/manhattansalaries.html. So yes, in some areas, owning a BMW is attainable for the "average" person.

For a little perspective, I was in South India last week, and the most expensive car I saw there was a C230 belonging to a local tycoon, which was considered ridiculously extravagant. For the most part, the Toyota Corolla, Mitsubishi Lancer, Hyundai Elantra, and Honda Civic were considered expensive luxury cars. The CEO of the firm I was visiting had a black Honda Accord LX with leather interior driven by a chauffer. If they had seen my Audi (currently not being imported to India) or the BMW 335i I'm about to get, they probably would have fallen over, since my car payment is about 3 times what many well-off professionals pay to rent apartments in town.

2006 Lotus Elise Polar Blue/Red
2007 E92 335i Spacegrau/Coral/Al | ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/CA/PDC/NAV Broken in
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #64
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellnyc
Mean annual salary in New York for business and finance jobs is $73k, and salaries here are highest in the nation.
http://nyjobsource.com/manhattansalaries.html. So yes, in some areas, owning a BMW is attainable for the "average" person.
His point was average for the country not per locale. Hell my cousin is VP of institutional trading for Merryl Lynch in NYC and makes 2mil+ a year... of course there are more wealthy areas than others. that was the point of my last post.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #65
krazykanuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 IS300

Garage List
2004 IS300  [0.00]
2004 IS300  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raayman
I don't know what the average salary is in the USA, but my salary here combined with the prices of new cars are just not compatible with a Gallardo when I'm 50. I don't have a bad paycheck, but unless I drop everything else I'm not going to be able to buy a car like that.

Stating that this is 'absolutely normal' makes me wonder.... This might be the case in your neigbourhood, but I dare to say that this is not by any means something that everyone can accomplish easily. As said, maybe I just need to move...?
I lived in a very affluent neighborhood in Florida with many retired and current businesspeople where Bentleys, S/SL/CL600s, are the norm for transportation. It is definitely not representative of the US as a whole, just a fortunate section of the population. The majority of the people have moved there after having made their money elsewhere. One of the people is from Germany originally, this owner in particular is from the mid west US. There is money everywhere, just need to find the people with it.

In Canada where I lived, the city has an average per capita income that was a couple years ago $30,000 canadian, I know a business owner that has made +$1.5 or 2 million per year for the last few years and lives in a $250,000 hours and drives an LX470. Things aren't always what they seem, I mean you'd never know. He has other things he spends on.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #66
Russellnyc
Razor sharp handling
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroday
His point was average for the country not per locale. Hell my cousin is VP of institutional trading for Merryl Lynch in NYC and makes 2mil+ a year... of course there are more wealthy areas than others. that was the point of my last post.
Actually no, he said "maybe you live in a prissy ass area where people live in shacks with no electricity and drive BMW's" so I think that my response about my specific locale where people don't go without electricity and the average person can afford to buy a BMW if they choose to was relevant. Of course, many people choose instead to over spend on rental housing, and don't perceive that they need to own a car at all.

Regarding your cousin, while $2m is certainly a hefty sum, it isn't especially noteworthy on wall street, where quite a few in the 25-35 age range make that much and more. I'm not sure how useful it is to tell you that my boss makes upwards of $20m.

2006 Lotus Elise Polar Blue/Red
2007 E92 335i Spacegrau/Coral/Al | ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/CA/PDC/NAV Broken in
Appreciate 0