BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

Closed Thread

01-10-2023, 10:29 AM   #45
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
This thread has many international viewers it seems.

In America, the F30 3 Series was available in a basic form called the 320. For euro customers, it may have been the norm, but here it was unusual in that it didn’t have as much in it and was comparatively cheap. At the time, you could get an Audi A3 or similar for the same price, despite that class of car being smaller.

Of course that car went away, and in its place is the 228i, which is more in tune with what the other makers offer. However, 320 owners are going to presumably go back into a bmw dealer at some point and ask for a replacement. The dealer will ask what they can afford, and if they say “same payments” then they get pointed in the direction of this car. There is no G20 320 here; that car has become more expensive and upscale.

Forum members are more educated, but that’s not how most buyers operate.

I'm from America and I understand what you're saying but i think the confusion here is again coming from the word "replacement". BMW never intended to "replace" the 320i with the 2GC and the 320i is not mentioned once in the BMW USA 2GC press release. In fact the title is "First-ever Bmw 2 series gran coupe" and the subheading is "a completely new generation".

Yes, a handful of buyers will walk into a BMW dealership looking for the cheapest option and be directed to the 2GC. But they may also be directed to the X2 (similarly priced) or the X1 ($500 more) or even the 2 series coupe($400 more). So again, i completely agree that BMW is trying to recapture some market share it stole from Audi and Merecedes with the 320i but the new product they brought over has nothing to do with that car is in a totally different class.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 1
tex26702415.50
      01-12-2023, 09:29 AM   #46
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebor View Post
No one is comparing a 2 GC with a 3 series.
^^^This. Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc., would get blistering letters if they included a 2GC in a comparison with other 3 Series natural competitors. Audi offers an A4 with the 40 drive train; but that doesn't make it a 2GC competitor.

I don't care if buyers are showing up saying "I want the same payment" on a replacement car (news flash: prices go up over time....asking for the "same payment" 3-5 years later is asking for a lesser car). Those clueless badge whores don't dictate which cars are "competitive."
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 01:52 PM   #47
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
So again, i completely agree that BMW is trying to recapture some market share it stole from Audi and Merecedes with the 320i but the new product they brought over has nothing to do with that car is in a totally different class.
The fact is that BMW was taking the cheap route with the F30 320. They found an economical way of having a cheaper "entry" level sedan, without having to develop a separate product line. Just put a de-tuned engine in, and take out some stuff. Saves R&D costs for a separate model.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread