BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-30-2024, 06:55 PM   #1
theultimate01
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Normal Engine noise?

Hi, I'm new to all this so not sure how everything works but I have a couple questions and would appreciate the help/advice!

I bought a BMW X3 F25 20d Xdrive 2014 model (64 plate for UK), and the car was immaculate and has full service history from BMW up until 66,500 miles. I bought it at 69,000 miles and the oil was changed when I did buy it. The car is now at 72,000 miles today.
I have been driving it now for a few months and had no issues but I have read here and there that this model is prone to timing chain failures. I'm a bit paranoid about that happening and now have since been constantly listening for engine noises to the point where I think I'm overanalysing the normal engine noise. I have attached a couple links with videos to my engine starting up and one with idling and also with a few revs.
If anyone knows a good amount about this model can you advise me on:

1. Is this normal engine running sound?
2. When should I look at replacing the timing chain if needed? Like I said it has had full BMW service history so I'm sure they would have picked up any problems with the previous owner.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Thank you ))
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:42 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

I'm not familiar with the diesel engines, not too common in the States. However I think the only F25 X3's that had timing chain related issues were the early model (prior to 2015) 4 cylinder gasoline engine cars, the N20 model engine.
To the best of my knowledge BMW engines are typically equipped with a metal timing chain which will last the life of the vehicle, periodic replacement as required with a rubber belt design is not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 04:55 PM   #3
theultimate01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
I'm not familiar with the diesel engines, not too common in the States. However I think the only F25 X3's that had timing chain related issues were the early model (prior to 2015) 4 cylinder gasoline engine cars, the N20 model engine.
To the best of my knowledge BMW engines are typically equipped with a metal timing chain which will last the life of the vehicle, periodic replacement as required with a rubber belt design is not necessary.
So that means my car falls under that category as it was registered September 2014?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 05:24 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theultimate01 View Post
So that means my car falls under that category as it was registered September 2014?
I don’t think so, your engine is N47 or B47….im pretty certain the N20 petrol engine was the only 4 cylinder model with the timing chain issues.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2024, 06:08 PM   #5
theultimate01
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think so, your engine is N47 or B47….im pretty certain the N20 petrol engine was the only 4 cylinder model with the timing chain issues.
Did a bit of searching and yes seems like you are right. Puts my mind at a bit of ease now! Thanks for your advice
Appreciate 1
Wgosma810.50
      Yesterday, 02:40 AM   #6
VanDownes
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about it before.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:44 AM   #7
Jolbex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

If u ask me it runs perfectly. B58 is not much quieter, and being a petrol....
Appreciate 0