Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-30-2015, 10:53 PM   #45
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstM3 View Post
Is the orange peel not that visible on white cars? I have never noticed it, had 3 mineral white bmws, held on to them for about 3-4 years each but never noticed anything like this. If i wouldn't have read this thread i would never know it exists
Definitely not as noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #46
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
You would think M's would get a little different QC and better grade of paint & application. Wonder if this happens further up the M line?
No. In the Munich factory, all the other 3/4 series cars go through the same paint line.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:56 PM   #47
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Btw, anyone take their car (19inch wheels) through an automated car wash?
I don't use automated carwashes. Even the touch free ones can cause damage due to the chemicals(highly acidic) that are in the water along with higher pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 12:51 AM   #48
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate 4
      01-31-2015, 01:47 AM   #49
Lincoln30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure BMW switched to water based paints in 1996. They have had plenty of time to perfect it and it is better then it was. My 96 M3 had very soft paint that chipped and scratched easily, the two e46s I had were much better and the E90 paint is about the same. My F80 won't be here for a couple more weeks (4 months late!), so I can't comment on whether or not it's better or worse.
Past BMWs: E30 323i, E36 325is, E36 M3, E46 M3, E39 M5, E46 325i, E90 335i, F80 M3, F87 M2
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 02:29 AM   #50
M3-F80
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M3. DCT

I'm very disappointed with mine too, scratches very easily, it almost seems like no lacquer was applied after it was painted.

I'm only into 7 months of ownership but I'm quite concerned what it's going to look like after a few years!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 03:22 AM   #51
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

My only BMW without orange peel is my 2004 e46 m3. All newer models have some orange peel. Some pretty bad. Never noticed it too much until I bought a SRT gen V viper. The hand buffed paint finish on the viper is so amazing it really made me notice the inferior work by BMW. Kind of sad we tolerate the orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 03:24 AM   #52
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

Quote:
No, I think a car wash will damage the rims. Means hand wash.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 03:50 AM   #53
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
The only reason I know about it is because I worked in the body shop supply industry for almost 10 years. It just looks like very little ridges as opposed to being smooth.

It used to be the mark of a good painter/body shop and good materials if there wasn't any.

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 03:51 AM   #54
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstM3 View Post
Is the orange peel not that visible on white cars? I have never noticed it, had 3 mineral white bmws, held on to them for about 3-4 years each but never noticed anything like this. If i wouldn't have read this thread i would never know it exists

You will notice that the more stuff you read on bimmerpost, the more problems you may realize you actually have, but never knew. What enlightenment!

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #55
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

So does the renewed "water based paint" concern make the bull-shitty 3M clear coat the dealerships try to sell you a more worthy investment? Should I consider it?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 06:39 AM   #56
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
If no one had told me orange peel was a thing, I would not believe people had special online forums to talk about it.

My 5th BMW and I still don't know what hue are talking about. I mean, I know, just I don't care. I'm not too keen on constantly detailing my cars to the level of some members here, so maybe that's why?
I would recommend Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant for your vehicle...just shampoo the car, dry, and apply by hand. I do it on my MWM F80 once every three months. I have even used it on the CF roof with great results.

I made the mistake of letting the dealer wash my vehicle during the break in service...this unfortunately resulted in a couple of scratches to the CF roof...lesson learned.

Save your money on the 3M...it won't prevent chips on the paint, particularly in the front of the vehicle with daily driving on our wonderful US roads.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 07:36 AM   #57
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
You will notice that the more stuff you read on bimmerpost, the more problems you may realize you actually have, but never knew. What enlightenment!

Absolutely. The forum giveth and the forum taketh away.
In fact as you stay on the forum longer and longer, you will find yourself unable to carry out a normal conversation with most anyone about cars. You will make funny faces or be pained when you hear discussions about buying, washing, or choosing cars.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 09:29 AM   #58
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Gruss, too funny. That was my reaction, but then I am known to be just a little OCD about paint. Quickest way to get a bunch of fine scratches in the car.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #59
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So does the renewed "water based paint" concern make the bull-shitty 3M clear coat the dealerships try to sell you a more worthy investment? Should I consider it?
Most of the dealer supplied options are inferior. There are really 2 types of protection to consider

1) XPEL or similar clear film applied to vulnerable areas. This provides good protection - and it comes in a couple of different finishes (can simulate the matte finish of frozen paint, or be glossy). I thought long and hard about it and decided not to do it because of "bra lines" where the film ends, cost and if the chips were too bad you could repaint the front half of the car for much less.

2) Opti Coat Pro or Cquartz Pro - professionally applied paint sealants that function as an additional layer of clear coat. These products are both offered in DIY (not pro) form, and some folks have had good success with applying it themselves. I chose to have the OPTI COAT Pro version, which meant professional application, the day after I got the car. It has been wonderful for these two years and can be reapplied if needed later. Less expensive than a clear bra and no "bra lines", easier to clean, protects the finish against bird poop much better (that stuff is like radioactive toxin - if you see bird shit on your ride, you need to get it off ASAFP). Water still beads like I waxed it yesterday (I have never had to wax the car), dirt comes off easier, in general it has worked as advertised.

Anyway, I ramble. There are plenty of resources on the web to explore and think about what (if any) paint protection works for you.
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #60
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
Most of the dealer supplied options are inferior. There are really 2 types of protection to consider

1) XPEL or similar clear film applied to vulnerable areas. This provides good protection - and it comes in a couple of different finishes (can simulate the matte finish of frozen paint, or be glossy). I thought long and hard about it and decided not to do it because of "bra lines" where the film ends, cost and if the chips were too bad you could repaint the front half of the car for much less.

2) Opti Coat Pro or Cquartz Pro - professionally applied paint sealants that function as an additional layer of clear coat. These products are both offered in DIY (not pro) form, and some folks have had good success with applying it themselves. I chose to have the OPTI COAT Pro version, which meant professional application, the day after I got the car. It has been wonderful for these two years and can be reapplied if needed later. Less expensive than a clear bra and no "bra lines", easier to clean, protects the finish against bird poop much better (that stuff is like radioactive toxin - if you see bird shit on your ride, you need to get it off ASAFP). Water still beads like I waxed it yesterday (I have never had to wax the car), dirt comes off easier, in general it has worked as advertised.

Anyway, I ramble. There are plenty of resources on the web to explore and think about what (if any) paint protection works for you.

I'm not sure how credible your information is, seeing that your f80 has a ... Uuuuhm ... Sunroof.

J/k. Excellent info. I will definitely look into it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #61
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Gruss, too funny. That was my reaction, but then I am known to be just a little OCD about paint. Quickest way to get a bunch of fine scratches in the car.

It's a daily driver. A car. A go to work, park at the shopping mall, long road trips, snow, ice and salted roads ... Car. I can't detail it or hand wash on a regular basis. Atleast, it's very impractical for me and I would rather enjoy a paint swirly car that fits my lifestyle, than a perfectly maintained clear coat car that gives me a heart attack every time it rains or some bird has burritos for lunch.

I kind of doubt the auto car wash would scratch the rims but I don't want to be the first to confirm that.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #62
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's a daily driver. A car. A go to work, park at the shopping mall, long road trips, snow, ice and salted roads ... Car. I can't detail it or hand wash on a regular basis. Atleast, it's very impractical for me and I would rather enjoy a paint swirly car that fits my lifestyle, than a perfectly maintained clear coat car that gives me a heart attack every time it rains or some bird has burritos for lunch.

I kind of doubt the auto car wash would scratch the rims but I don't want to be the first to confirm that.

To each their own. I daily drive mine as well, and it has been known to not get washed for 2 whole weeks ,

It is just a car, I get it. I like to keep mine looking nice, but I don't live in the snow belt either. or someplace it rains a lot so car care is easier for me. I can hand wash my car whenever I want.

Not all automatic car washes are the same - hard to make a categorical statement about them versus rim damage. I would seek out a advice for a good quality car wash that is convenient to you (not the gas station kind) and stick with them for most of your needs. You can always have the car deep detailed yearly or so to correct the paint and restore the shine.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #63
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure how credible your information is, seeing that your f80 has a ... Uuuuhm ... Sunroof.

J/k. Excellent info. I will definitely look into it.
Yup - a sunroof I will have. The sig pic is of my 335, which has a sunroof. My F80 will also have a sunroof - I like the look of the CF roof a lot, but where I live sunroofs are very convenient - crack them open in vent mode during the day and the car is less of an oven when you get in it in the afternoon. Plus the CF roof is black, which absorbs more heat. Not a great Arizona feature for me.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #64
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup - a sunroof I will have. The sig pic is of my 335, which has a sunroof. My F80 will also have a sunroof - I like the look of the CF roof a lot, but where I live sunroofs are very convenient - crack them open in vent mode during the day and the car is less of an oven when you get in it in the afternoon. Plus the CF roof is black, which absorbs more heat. Not a great Arizona feature for me.
Hey great points! I was just being a jackass. I think I will miss the sunroof (my f30 has one, and I enjoy it quite frequently as well). But the damn CF roof looks so good on the Austin Yellow! I'm willing to take a chance on this one.

Also I wonder if the CF roof does absorb and transmit as much sun Ray heat as the metal roofs. Interesting point.

Btw, your SO over full SO will look fantastic. I wish I was able to see one in person. Very nice
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #65
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I believe it might be the clear coat? A nice thread on here witha guy wet sanding the car to a mirror finish, so I'm not sure if that was correcting the paint or the clear coat. Shame about the peel though yes.

BMWs have fattened up recently, maybe when they lose some weight the Orange peel with reduce
      01-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #66
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
It's a daily driver. A car. A go to work, park at the shopping mall, long road trips, snow, ice and salted roads ... Car.
Oh man Fala, you're really freaking out my OCD ... I used to live in MN so I hear you but it's really not that hard, however I get that some people just don't want to put in the time.

Here's the general procedure:

(1.) Every 6 months and/or before & after winter:
wash, clay, wash, polish, sealant - yes this will take a 2-3 hours and your first time probably more but SO worth it. For me a flawless car is 50% of the fun.

(2.) Every week or 2:
Two-bucket wash, and a spray down with quick detailer (optional). I love poorboy's spray & gloss but I don't detail myself anymore. This will take you 20-30 minutes ... an hour if you want to enjoy yourself.

(3.) For bird poop, just keep some quick detailer and a microfiber or bird poop remover. It takes like 30 seconds.

Ok, so all of that said, I get that you have to buy the stuff and do the work and likely you won't be. That leaves you with a few options:

(1.) have it done - here in Cali that's mostly cheap so when I moved from MN I decided to have someone else do it, but that was mostly because I don't have the space to do it.

(2.) Like vonmayr says, CQuartz or Opti-Coat. Have it professionally done - they come with a warranty! Cquartz finest is 2 years, and dirt and stuff will just hose off. Further if use "reload" periodically, which you can do yourself, you'll get 3-4 years out of it.

I would go with CQuartz - I've heard from some pros that Opti-coat is not very good about the warranty work, while CQuartz is fantastic. Should cost between $500-$1000 depending on if you want your paint corrected before they apply it (I would highly recommend it).
Appreciate 2